• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Only Three Nominations for Best Animated Feature

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Ouch! That hurts. So Paprika's chances could be less because of this.
8daze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
A Scanner Darkly and Paprika would both be a different kind of winner than people tend to expect, so I'd say they both have pretty decent chances. Monster House would be the traditional favorite, imo.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Paprika's chances for nomination we're just knocked down to a big, fat ZERO.

The final list will likely be:

Monster House
Happy Feet
Cars

There's absolutely NO WAY Paprika squeezes one of those films out. They either have far too much studio backing, critical praise or box office swagger going for them. It's a shame. In the face of so much overwhelming 3D animation, Paprika could have really shown folks that 2D is not quite dead yet and feeling just fine.

Honestly, didn't someone have another Over the Ant Bully's Barnyard Open Hedge movie to throw in before '06 ended? Ants vs Penguins maybe?

Thanks for nothing, 3D Hollywood.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Bob is right. To be honest, however, Paprika never stood a chance in the first place. It's too obscure, isn't readily available, received zero marketing. There was no push for it; not even a limited standard theatrical release.

Paprika wasn't going to be nominated anyway.

But, all three of the most likely candidates - Happy Feet, Cars and Monster House - are excellent films in their own right. It's been a good year for animated films, in spite of the endless talking animal falderal.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I love Satoshi Kon but I wouldn't give Paprika a snowball's chance in hell of getting the nod.

Incidentally, when was Renaissance released statside? Was it a 'blink and you'll miss it' deal, or just a tiny NY/LA opening to make it eligible?

I think the final list will be a 4-way tossup between Happy Feet, Cars, Over the Hedge, and Monster House-- take your pick which one gets knocked out. All 4 of them were successful at the box office and received about the same level of critical praise. I haven't seen any of them yet; I think I'd better get on that. I LOVE cartoons!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Paprika wasn't going to be nominated anyway.

Do you think that there was a chance for it get to nominated had there been 5 nominations given? I didn't think it was going to get nominated when Happy Feet turn out bigger box office numbers then James Bond.
MDMAX980

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:

Honestly, didn't someone have another Over the Ant Bully's Barnyard Open Hedge movie to throw in before '06 ended? Ants vs Penguins maybe?

Don't jynx it. That's how Snakes on a Plane got started.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
As I understand it, Sony gave it the minimum possible release for it to even be eligible. It played for a week at some hole in the ground multiplex in L.A., and the screenings were literal matinees, at 10 a.m., ensuring that only the most devoted anime fans would show up.

Why did Sony even bother rushing it to be eligible for 2006? Since it was a 2006 release in Japan, it could have been eligible for 2007 under the one-year extension for foreign films, where they'd give it the usual 50 or so screen release in March where most of the critics with influence over the Academy would actually be able to see it, and it would be out on DVD in plenty of time for short-list viewing season in mid-to-late autumn.

Say what you will about Disney's theatrical distribution of the Ghibli films, at least Disney knows how to sell them to the Academy.

EDIT:

Quote:
Luc Besson's Arthur and the Invisibles has been disqualified from the list of films eligible to be nominated for the Academy Award (Oscar) for Best Animated Feature Film. "Les Invisibles" was disqualified because animation accounted for less than 75% of the film's running time.

Minor nitpick- isn't the French title "Arthur et les Minimoys", not "Arthur et les Invisibles"?

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The way Paprika was released means one of two things to me. Either: (1) there wasn't enough interest from theaters to give it a good run, or (2) Sony doesn't have enough faith that it could do well, both with audiences and with the Academy.

I'm betting it's (2).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what's nominated, just so long as it's not some 3D animation. I'm really getting tired of all these look-alike movies!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I don't care what's nominated, just so long as it's not some 3D animation. I'm really getting tired of all these look-alike movies!

Tough luck.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
You're going to be very disappointed then, as I don't think there's any 2D animation that stands a chance at being nominated unless you count the rotoscoped A Scanner Darkly which stands a better chance than Paprika, but not by too much.

I mostly agree with Bob Loblaw as to what the nominees will be, except you may be able to substitute Over the Hedge for Monster House.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
why bother? Pixar's in the race, so that pretty much ends anyone's chances of winning.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Bob:
Quote:
The final list will likely be: Monster House
Happy Feet Cars There's absolutely NO WAY Paprika squeezes one of those films out. They either have far too much studio backing, critical praise or box office swagger going for them. It's a shame.

You're giving up too soon, Bob. There was no way Spirited Away was going to be nominated, either. The only real critical and financial hit among those three is Happy Feet. No one, except Pixar apologists, liked Cars, and Monster House came and went within a month.

Quote:
Honestly, didn't someone have another Over the Ant Bully's Barnyard Open Hedge movie to throw in before '06 ended? Ants vs Penguins maybe? Thanks for nothing, 3D Hollywood.

I think the fact that they're all movies featuring talking animals in cg means Paprika still has a chance, because it stands out from the herd.

Zac:
Quote:
To be honest, however, Paprika never stood a chance in the first place. It's too obscure, isn't readily available, received zero marketing.

Again, the same could be said for Spirited Away.

Quote:
But, all three of the most likely candidates - Happy Feet, Cars and Monster House - are excellent films in their own right.

They're excellent if you're five years old.

Quote:
It's been a good year for animated films, in spite of the endless talking animal falderal.

Yes, bring on Shrek 3, Ratatouille and Bee Movie! Rolling Eyes

Tenchi:
Quote:
As I understand it, Sony gave it the minimum possible release for it to even be eligible. It played for a week at some hole in the ground multiplex in L.A., and the screenings were literal matinees, at 10 a.m., ensuring that only the most devoted anime fans would show up.

It's possible that wasn't the only promotion Sony gave for the film, and that they might have sent out screeners.

Quote:
Why did Sony even bother rushing it to be eligible for 2006? Since it was a 2006 release in Japan, it could have been eligible for 2007 under the one-year extension for foreign films, where they'd give it the usual 50 or so screen release in March where most of the critics with influence over the Academy would actually be able to see it, and it would be out on DVD in plenty of time for short-list viewing season in mid-to-late autumn.

I agree, but maybe they thought that it'd be over-shadowed by the Pixar and Dreamworks stuff, and that it'd be better to release it during an off year when there's less heavy competition. Plus they probably didn't know that Arthur would be disqualified.

Quote:
Say what you will about Disney's theatrical distribution of the Ghibli films, at least Disney knows how to sell them to the Academy.

Yes, pretend it doesn't exist and promote the latest Pokemon movie instead. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
You're going to be very disappointed then, as I don't think there's any 2D animation that stands a chance at being nominated unless you count the rotoscoped A Scanner Darkly which stands a better chance than Paprika, but not by too much.

Scanner Darkly is too dark and tech-oriented.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

That's the thing that's "in" as far as the Americans are concerned with animation. And I would think that's it's easier too, rather than having to to draw a whole lot of the same frame with slightly different motion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3