• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Sell TV Shows, Movies Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Oh, this is something I'm really pleased with. I'd still like them to fix the holes in some of their collection (I want to know who keeps losing the vol 6 disc for EVERY anime series they have. Full Metal Panic, Neon Genisis Evagelion...it's an EPIDEMIC, I tell you), but at the very least I can hope that ADV will offer the missing episodes as part of the stream.

Speaking of that, though, I have to wonder--for those of you who have noticed the missing discs in Netflix's collection (like the ones I mentioned), have you tried putting those discs in your 'saved' area? I have a theory that if enough fans do that for the missing discs they're replace them, but I think I'm the only person who's been doing that so far. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:15 am Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
I wonder how they will slow down "frequent" downloaders, a la the way they slow down mailing?

Yeah that part of reason why I am going to change to BB after my quarter (Netflix has some indie films I need for a class) is over. The number of times I've email netflix about slow mailing response is beyond belief, and what worse off is that the customer service doesn't seem to care.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Speaking of that, though, I have to wonder--for those of you who have noticed the missing discs in Netflix's collection (like the ones I mentioned), have you tried putting those discs in your 'saved' area? I have a theory that if enough fans do that for the missing discs they're replace them, but I think I'm the only person who's been doing that so far.

I've had Lupin the III Castle of Caglistro in my Saved for about a year......still waiting on that....oh wait no I went and bought after Christmas. When any title you want goes to saved and it's already been released that basically means your screwed. It's not like Netflix is going to ask ADV for disc 6 of Gasaraki or NGE.....while Netflix was nice for a while with their anime selection it became obvious to me that it wasn't worth the price.

Delta
10円

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:27 am Reply with quote
I tend to think this may be a positive shift in the long run for all the usual reasons (easier, quicker, cheaper, and minus all the unnecessary packaging), but with all the usual caveats (resolution, quality, subs, extras, portability).

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Speaking of that, though, I have to wonder--for those of you who have noticed the missing discs in Netflix's collection (like the ones I mentioned), have you tried putting those discs in your 'saved' area? I have a theory that if enough fans do that for the missing discs they're replace them, but I think I'm the only person who's been doing that so far. Confused

I like your theory but I have no idea if it's actually true. I've had Netflix since the early days and some volumes have remained in my saved area for years now. In my case it's not just anime but also live action films that are OOP in NA but are still available elsewhere (Europe). In all honesty ANN is far too small to have much impact, but if you have a specific request I'll be happy to add it.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
In all honesty ANN is far too small to have much impact, but if you have a specific request I'll be happy to add it.

You're right, it probably won't make too much of a difference, but....Neon Genisis Evangelion vol 6. I can deal with Full Metal Panic vol 6 missing (it's not like the anime was ever REAL heavy on plot, and if worse comes to worse TAN always seems to have it available with On Demand stuff), but not having NGE in full doesn't make any sense, considering the impact of the series. Plus, it's not really the sort of anime I can really skip episodes of. Anime hyper (Although, if worse came to worse, I'm sure I could track down SOME anime fan around here who has the show on DVD--it's just that the only friend I have who I know likes the show lives in...Florida).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
10円

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:03 am Reply with quote
FWIW, I've added NGE V6 to my 'saved' queue as well.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I'm sure I could track down SOME anime fan around here who has the show on DVD--it's just that the only friend I have who I know likes the show lives in...Florida).

Not only is NGE one of the most prolific series among serious anime fans, it has also been re-released on DVD enough times that I would imagine the first release volumes are sold relatively inexpensively on the used market these days. It took about three viewings before I felt like I had a decent grasp of the plot but no matter how many times I watch it I doubt I'll ever fully understand the ending. Say what you will about NGE, but it certainly has plenty of replay value and seems to lend itself to long-term ownership as a result.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Yeah that part of reason why I am going to change to BB after my quarter (Netflix has some indie films I need for a class) is over. The number of times I've email netflix about slow mailing response is beyond belief, and what worse off is that the customer service doesn't seem to care.

Based on my experience, I'd recommend against it. BB's anime collection is worse than Netflix, and they constantly sent me discs out of order (it drove me nuts!). Even when thay have a series listed and locked, I STILL got discs out of order. For regular movies, they are fine, but for anime viewers, I suggest going elsewhere. Anime Takeout or Rent Anime will have the best selection, but I would recommend them based on location. (RA is in the southeast, AT is in the West). Being in the midwest, either are going to be slower than Netflix, but the extra selection makes it worthwhile. My preference is Anime Takeout (I have used both), but your location can be a major factor in choice.
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
[quote="Vikio"]
Jedi General wrote:
And another time I got a cracked disk, reported it broken, sent it back, and got THE SAME disk back as a replacement. It was cleaned and polished, but still broken nearly in two.
At least I won't have problems like that over the internet...Right?

That same thing happened to me once, only I use Blockbuster.com! After that, I always make sure to put a post-it note on any disc that had a problem, to call extra attention to it. But I haven't had any problems like that in over a year, so there you go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Vikio wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
I've also gotten quite a few mislabeled or unplayable anime DVDs from them, the most recent being when I got Evangelion: Death & Rebirth when I had actually ordered The End of Evangelion. Seems like an easy mistake for someone who doesn't know their anime to make, but it's very annoying nonetheless. I never had any problems with I was renting strictly regular movies from them. -_-

Haha, and I thought it was just my bad luck. I almost never had problems with normal movies on Netflix, but somehow two consecutive disks of "Earth Girl Arjuna" got lost in the mail (you see how losing disk 2 AND 3 makes me look bad) and I was starting to think that my local post office employed an anime thief. LOL Anime hyper And another time I got a cracked disk, reported it broken, sent it back, and got THE SAME disk back as a replacement. It was cleaned and polished, but still broken nearly in two.
At least I won't have problems like that over the internet...Right?

Wow, you got the same cracked disk back? How cheap. It good to know that I'm not the only one having problems getting anime from Netflix. Hopefully there will be minimal problems with the downloads, if any, once they are implemented.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Oh, this is something I'm really pleased with. I'd still like them to fix the holes in some of their collection (I want to know who keeps losing the vol 6 disc for EVERY anime series they have. Full Metal Panic, Neon Genisis Evagelion...it's an EPIDEMIC, I tell you), but at the very least I can hope that ADV will offer the missing episodes as part of the stream.

Interesting theory. Perhaps I'll start doing that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Based on my experience, I'd recommend against it. BB's anime collection is worse than Netflix, and they constantly sent me discs out of order (it drove me nuts!). Even when thay have a series listed and locked, I STILL got discs out of order. For regular movies, they are fine, but for anime viewers, I suggest going elsewhere. Anime Takeout or Rent Anime will have the best selection, but I would recommend them based on location. (RA is in the southeast, AT is in the West). Being in the midwest, either are going to be slower than Netflix, but the extra selection makes it worthwhile. My preference is Anime Takeout (I have used both), but your location can be a major factor in choice.

Oops I still thought I was posting in the other Netflix thread (In the retail forums). I agree with you about BB anime selection, and much like you noted I am currently trying out RA, and will get AT a show later on. My comment was based on how Netflix customer service and primarily on how I felt about their service this past year and a half. I won't argue with their selection of titles (Over BB's Anime) but the number of times I have lost an entire weeks worth of anime because broken disc, that sent me over the edge.

Delta
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd never even heard of RA or AT until now. I'm in the west, so I took a gander at AT's selection. I must say they've got quite a selection. I'll think I'll give AT a shot.

Thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Here's my saved list on Netflix;

1) His and Her Circumstances Vol. 1, 2, 5.

2) All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Vol. 2.

3) Robotech Vol. 8 & 11.

4) Slayers
Next Disc A.
Try Disc A.
Book of Spells

5) Those Who Hunt Elves Vol. 1

They've all been on that list for a year and more, so far.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Ack, so maybe my theory was wrong. x.x I'll still keep trying with that, but I guess I shouldn't hold out much hope.

I guess, if worse comes to worse, I'll save up for the ultra-mega-super-duper-shiny boxset ADV's doing for NGE soon. And find some more local anime fans. Wink
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Ack, so maybe my theory was wrong. x.x I'll still keep trying with that, but I guess I shouldn't hold out much hope.

I guess, if worse comes to worse, I'll save up for the ultra-mega-super-duper-shiny boxset ADV's doing for NGE soon. And find some more local anime fans. Wink

Not to completely ruin your day but the 10th anniversary boxset for NGE has been delayed.....until forever. I think ADV realized that they can't try to release another set of NGE so shortly after releasing the Platinum set. Which what I agree with, and not only that ADV also released a thin-pack of the Platinum set, so it's not like NGE dvds can't be found.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that would explain why I haven't heard about it for a while....

I'll figure out something. Anime hyper FLY MYSELF OUT TO FLORIDA AND DEMAND MY FRIEND SHOW ME THE SIXTH DISC. (It's his fault I'm watching it anyway. >>)
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
is it just me or does the whole purpose of this and netflix just seem to make people more lazy?

I don't go to blockbuster anymore because to rent a dvd is $7-$8 (i could just go buy them and keep them as long as I want/ turn them in to gamestop a get back somewhere close to the same amount)

But I remember when people use to jump int he car and go a few blocks. Those were the days! yes, I realize that this service is to make many dvds to be rented easily but why don't people judt order the dvds burn them and send them back?

I just miss a lot of the old ways. And i'm only 19. Shessh I talk like an old woman sometimes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3