• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is Shinji hated so much?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quakeaddict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:

here we disagree. maybe at the start of the series he has a right to be the way he is. but after his time with Masato and all the kindness he's shown by those around him (Angels or no) he should have been far less of a wuss and brat

I stand by my first statement. Yes, people show him kindness. But it probably would have been unrealistic for him to just up and change. He had some pretty serious problems, and problems like his don't just disappear.
JuneL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Lol this is debated so much.

In my personal opinion, Shinji is an extremely realistic character and acts realistically given the circumstance. This is probably why there are so many people that like Shinji. As for why he is hated may be because that NGE is a psychological anime which spends a large portion of it's time showing what is going through Shinji's mind. Shinji's thought process is relatively easy to compare to the thought process of society's view of an emo person and thus they dislike Shinji because of the general dislike for emo people. Personally, I give props to Shinji because he acts so much like how I would act given the situation, but I hate his guts because of his indecisiveness has gotten many characters I liked killed (in the worst possible way ever NGE:EoE) and I feel myself blaming Shinji for their deaths. I'm quite sure that I'm not the only person that thinks this but it's only my 2 cents.

Essentially, People think Shinji is emo and he is blamed for killing their favourite characters.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I've just finished rewatching evangelion the tv series again tonight. You have to watch evangelion more than once and understand the full events taking place within the story to understand the strengthts behind his character or indeed, begin to understand him at all. When i first watched EVA, shinji's lack of push and will pissed me off to put it bluntly but i still thought his character was all the more unique for it. Now every time i watch it i see actually that he is just like many of us. His character is all the more stronger as he has to deal with his depression and fight for others at the same time to put his situation in very simple terms.

Shinji is truly an underrated hero in anime. He is far away from being the pathetic boy alot of people see him as. Dont forget that the EVA's are connected to the pilots nerve system; they feel a good portion of what the eva feels and yet time and time again shinji gets up and pilots it again. This can put paid to the myth that he is a wuss on its own.

Many people have said that they accossiate thier own characters' with shinji's and that is because he is portrayed as being flawed just like all of us are in some way. He is the closest representation to how people actually act in ''real life'', that i have seen in anime. Hell, i remember plenty of times when i have asked the same questions shinji asks of himself and shut my self away in my room with my MP3 player falling asleep with a tune on repeat. I have a certain amount of apathy towards shinji's character in this sense.

To finish i think shinji is a fantastic character because he shows weakness and isnt just another Predicatable hero. Some people probably hate him becasue they for once, are unable to escape completely into some fantasy world where the good guys always win and are always strong. It's not wrong to dislike shinji's character but i do think people need to watch through more than a couple of times to be able to comment with Evangelion being the complex series that it is. I keep saying this but if you really didn't get him in the series, watch the most recent film, rebuild as i found this much easier to digest in terms of understanding his character than i did in the series but then that was one of the aims Anno had with Eva 1:0 you are not alone.

Dean
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Being that this is an officially linked series thread, I have to assume that I am still allowed to post here despite its age.

Having recently finished the Angelic Days manga, which is referred to Shin Seiki Evangelion Kotetsu no Girlfriend 2nd in Japan, I was thinking a lot about Shinji's characters. A while back I had a conversation with a close friend about what character we were most like in Neon Genesis Evangelion. Naturally with how messed up everyone in the series is, it wasn't exactly the most pleasant of conversations but it was extremely interesting. Regardless, we came to the conclusion that all of our various neurosis equaled Shinji. We didn't care for Shinji, per say, because we felt we were too much like him.

That being said, I don't want to contend that I'm a Shinji hater. In fact, I have an EVA-01 wall scroll in the room that I'm writing this post from.

However, after reading Angelic Days, I'd like to ask whether or not I'm really more like Aida. In many ways, a lot of those same neuroses as well as the interest in all of these various popular culture phenomena essentially add up more to Aida than to Shinji. Then again, I don't see the same negative fan reaction to Aida that I have for Shinji. Is it merely because he's somewhat of a background character or is it because of the fact that he's easier to identify with?

I was thinking about this because in Angelic Days, Aida is given a considerably larger role.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6