• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jimkata

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phlipp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Few, I was worried there wouldn't be a new show so soon after AX, good job in getting a release out!

One question, why is ANN reviewing/why did the podcast mention Mawaru-Penguindrum? I thought ANN stayed away from shows unless they are legally available. On the other hand Zac is one of only two reviewers involved in the preview guide who didn't review it. Is it just his personal policy to stay away from stuff that isn't legally available?

Edit: Or did ANN get a screener copy from the producer?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Legally available is always their first choice. However, if there are no simulcasts available, they will resort to fansubs, unless it is already licensed, like the Marvel anime shows.

Fortunately, more and more shows are being simulcast, which means less reliance on fansubs.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
Oh Zac... Gymkata? Really? You had to fire up the Wayback Machine to reach for that groaner. As obscure references go that's a gem--most of your ANNcast audience was born AFTER it's release in '85.

Bloodsport --the best of JCVD's films, in my opinion-- is the only "gem" (term applied loosely) of that ilk. from that decade-that-shall-not-be-named.

And speaking of groaners, y'all really nailed most of the current crop of summer offerings. But, if anything, I'm impressed. You come into a season thinking that can't do any worse or sink any lower from the previous season, then BAM! they exceed your expectations. I guess we have yet to "hit bottom" as it were.

You know it's bad when hentai looks like a better, saner alternative.
phlipp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Legally available is always their first choice. However, if there are no simulcasts available, they will resort to fansubs, unless it is already licensed, like the Marvel anime shows.

Fortunately, more and more shows are being simulcast, which means less reliance on fansubs.

I thought Zac said he didn't watch stuff unless it was legally available (I think it was in reference to the East of Eden movies), I assumed that was an ANN policy, is he the only one that does that?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
phlipp wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

I thought Zac said he didn't watch stuff unless it was legally available (I think it was in reference to the East of Eden movies), I assumed that was an ANN policy, is he the only one that does that?

Preview guide policy:

If something is available - or about to become available - via legal streaming, we review it that way or wait to review it that way.

If it's been licensed, and isn't streaming, we don't review it. Example: Marvel anime, Ryo-ku-boh

If it has no announced or even hinted at license, we'll use the fansubs. We do not review more than one episode of any given show this way. This has been established policy for years.

I personally do not review everything because I have to maintain, edit, format and post everyone else's reviews. I review things when I have time and when I want to. The only time I review something immediately is if I'm the first person to notice the show is available in whatever format and no other reviews have been turned in.

Personally outside of the season previews I don't bother with fansubs. DVD, bluray and streaming are far more convenient than hassling with that.
phlipp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This has been established policy for years.

Ah, good to know. I'm sure it's on your site somewhere, I probably just missed it. I guess it's too late for penguindrum to get picked up this year, I guess I can set my calendar for a 2013 DVD release...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
If Marvel did in fact want ANN to review their anime in the Preview Guide and would provide a copy for them to do so, would ANN still review them? Personally I think it reeks more of Marvel being on their high horse and not caring about ANN reviewers, than ANN complying with the standard of etiquette regarding licensed shows. Maybe that's not the case but they can have their maintween fans, I'm not giving them any of my support.
SYLiENT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
Great podcast! Thanks for the discussion on AX and AM2. I hadn't heard about the rooms being cleared after every panel... I wonder who thought that was a good idea? Like you guys said, the rooms generally don't fill up entirely. :/ Heck, the last panel I remember attending at AX that was max capacity was the Geneon panel from 2006 where the Hellsing OVA series was announced (back in Anaheim and in one of the smaller LP rooms on the second or third floor). Good to hear Jim Vowles again (I enjoy his anecdotes, especially Captain Backflip from last year's interview.).

Spotlesseden wrote:
AM2 should stay on the July 4th weekend. I like AM2. alot of open spaces are cool, not much waiting and free. it's a pretty cool thing to for July 4th weekend without burning that much money.

Like my business professor said. If you want to be consider successfully, you have to kill off competitions. Like Netflix kills off companies like Hollywood Video, Blockbuster etc...
You can still do good by running away from competitions, but it won't be consider successfully. AM2 just have to do everything better. it's not like AX is that good.

The convention community does not need to eat itself alive. Anime conventions need to help each other out and, god forbid, help in stabilizing fan culture. Does anyone remember the comments of "Oh, well if every convention attendee bought a DVD then the anime industry wouldn't be in this mess?" Granted, we know of the crazy bidding wars that happened in the 2000s, but wouldn't it be great if conventions reinforced the idea of buying licensed products? There's been a bit of a movement over the last year, even with current economic conditions, but this idea of buying DVDs needs to be practiced by the newbies. Even with paid and free streaming, the real bread and butter for the industry are DVDs.

Besides, conventions aren't like Netflix or a local Wal-mart's Redbox. They happen once a year for x-amount of days. I don't think you can properly compare them to a 365 days, 24/7 for-profit business model.

With AM2... they were already pretty ballsy for having the days conflict with AX and whether AM2 likes it or not the "Revenge Con" stigma does fit the situation. AM2 pulled the same stunt that PMX did years ago, and that event had the same exact problems - the space was too big in comparison to number of attendees. I hope for their sake they can reconsider the space/area and/or days if there is an AM2 2012. (And to clarify I'm not an AX fangirl. The move to LACC has miffed me and as so I haven't gone the last two years. Plus AX 2010 internal politic fiasco turned me off entirely. The last time that I did attend I commuted daily rather than booking a hotel room. I don't care for the LACC area and still pine for ACC, awful and selfish, but true.)

Speaking of days, since Memorial Day weekend is taken by Fanime, what about Labor Day Weekend for AM2? I know Sac-Anime has that spot for this year, but I assume it doesn't draw Fanime numbers? Heck, if AM2 still wants to keep the discounts/Disneyland deal I'd say to push it even further for the Halloween nights (5PM to 12AM, max 21,000 guests, can dress up in costume *cough*cosplay*cough*, trick-or-treating, Halloween overlays on rides). Dates after summer would give everyone some space to get rid of con fatigue and kick of fall/winter con season (PMX in November and ALA in January). Or maybe, just maybe, AM2 could combine forces with PMX? ... I'm probably asking for too much there.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote
At least two of the "dregs" got much better on episode 2.
1. Ro-Kyu-Bu!: There is one thing I didn't expect from the show: basketball. Yet episode two was mainly focused on it, the fanservice was only about 20% and the one-on-one at the end of the episode was quite well directed. Next episode is actually about training and an actual basketball match. Sure, it's not 100% accurate, but it was a damn plesant surprise.

2. Mayo Chiki: while episode 1 was cliche central, episode 2 has some excellent character development. It was great to see the male lead try and help Subaru at his expense. I also like that while he's kind of a wimp, he's not phisically week. All the beatings he took made him one tough bastard, being able to take a hit that even his sister couldn't handle. Also, while the sadistic Ojou-sama is a cliche in itself, it's interesting to see how someone can act so sadistic while trying to help, and actually pulling it off.

PS: while I'm not trying to start someone, I don't understand how Zac can say dealing with fansubs is a hassle.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Zac, you are wrong about Otaku wanting only "dark magical girl" series. Actually, it's the opposite (which is why at the beginning Madoka tried to fool these Otaku into believing it'd be another normal Magical Girl series).

Doremi and Pretty Cure and Shugo Chara etc. have a lot of adult male (= otaku) fans. I guess these children series have the same "healing" effect as "moe" shows a la K-On. (I think sankaku complex just recently posted an article about a guy creating his own Pretty Cure Dakimakura, because he was unable to buy one (sold out?)). They are just happy and cute and relaxing to watch I suppose. And well, some would say they also have a lot of loli characters ...

The success of Madoka will very likely cause the dark magical girl genre to expand though (for now you can basically count them on one hand ...).

PS: It's Madoka Mahgica. Not Magic-a Anime hyper

Last edited by maaya on Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Farix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

AM2 should stay on the July 4th weekend.

Then they will be clobbered every year by AX. It would in AM2's best interest to find another weekend, preferably as far away form AX as they can manage.

Quote:

Like my business professor said. If you want to be consider successfully, you have to kill off competitions. Like Netflix kills off companies like Hollywood Video, Blockbuster etc...
You can still do good by running away from competitions, but it won't be consider successfully. AM2 just have to do everything better. it's not like AX is that good.

The only conventions who feel that they are in competition with other conventions are the "RevengeCons", "EgoCons", or "MakeMoneyCons". Most of which fail after their first or second year. But conventions don't compete with each other because it is in no one's best interests. In fact many conventions will share resources in the form of staff, equipments, and/or advice with each other.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
I was wondering why Otakon was held in Baltimore too I'm not sure that I really understand after the explanation given, but whatever.

The impressive slate of Japanese guests and a few of the panels make it seem really enticing this year. I've never been to a convention since I don't enjoy crowds, to say the least, and can't usually think of much that I'd get from it, but it actually seems pretty enticing. I haven't been to Baltimore in something like a decade and a half either. It would be nice if going to Otakon weren't fiscally and practically infeasible for me right now.

maaya wrote:
PS: It's Madoka Mahgica. Not Magic-a Anime hyper

Somebody needs to make a show called Escaflowne Ecchi Magika just that Zac'll talk about it on ANNCast, thus triggering a pronunciation nitpick meltdown in the comment thread.

Hell, I think I like his pronunciation of ecchi better. The correct one always sounds stupid to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Nice to hear everyone talk about the summer shows and I liked Rebbecca's idea that No. 6 should have had a 45 minute first episode, I can actually think of a few shows that would do better with longer episodes or at least a longer first episode.

DmonHiro wrote:

PS: while I'm not trying to start someone, I don't understand how Zac can say dealing with fansubs is a hassle.

Well, for me anyway, I really like simulcasts because they air at a set tie and in a set place with very few delays. For fansubs you have to wait for the RAWs to hit the web, wait for the fansubs to be released, hope that the fansubs are at least half-way decent and, if you don't download fansubs, wait for various sites to upload the subs and pray that said websites don't give your computer a virus as well. All of that makes me want to watch fansubs less these days anyway.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

AM2 should stay on the July 4th weekend.

Then they will be clobbered every year by AX. It would in AM2's best interest to find another weekend, preferably as far away form AX as they can manage.

you don't know that. I think AM2 did very well this year. without AM2, AX will be very expensive. you will know. AM2 even hope people who just want to go to AX.

for my selfish reason. I hope they will do it again on July 4th weekend next year. ANN is wrong, when i was there, there were reasonable amount of people in the building. You won't get as many people as AX, or a 2 hours line.

i think the AM2 concert is great.
I want something to do in that weekend, but i don't want to spent alot of money and time.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:

Well, for me anyway, I really like simulcasts because they air at a set tie and in a set place with very few delays. For fansubs you have to wait for the RAWs to hit the web, wait for the fansubs to be released, hope that the fansubs are at least half-way decent and, if you don't download fansubs, wait for various sites to upload the subs and pray that said websites don't give your computer a virus as well. All of that makes me want to watch fansubs less these days anyway.

... you've got to be kidding. That's only true for someone who hasn't used the internet for more then 2-3 months. Everybody already know what groups are good and what groups are not. Also, CR airs some stuff 5 days LATE. That's not even a simulcast anymore Very Happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4