• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Jimkata

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

you don't know that. I think AM2 did very well this year. without AM2, AX will be very expensive. you will know. AM2 even hope people who just want to go to AX.

According to most eye witness reports I've read, it didn't do all that well. If they had planned smaller and on a different weekend from AX, they would have likely been more successful. But I seriously doubt AM2 had any affect on AX 2011's rates.

Quote:

for my selfish reason. I hope they will do it again on July 4th weekend next year. ANN is wrong, when i was there, there were reasonable amount of people in the building. You won't get as many people as AX, or a 2 hours line.

If AX is too expensive for you, then it doesn't matter which weekend AM2 is on so long as it continues running. And if AM2 wishes to survive, it is in their best interest to go with a weekend that isn't against AX and drop this stupid idea that they are in competition with AX. Otherwise, AM2 will become "DeadCon" and you will be SOL.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Everybody already know what groups are good and what groups are not.

That's assuming a group you know is good is doing the show you want to watch, which they often aren't, especially if the show you want to watch is obscure or artsy. And then what if a group you hate is the only one releasing a series? Like, one that sticks homophobic comments in its chapter titles?*

Quote:
Also, CR airs some stuff 5 days LATE. That's not even a simulcast anymore Very Happy.

And here comes the entitlement train. 5 days? Really? You're going to complain for waiting less than a week? When a good fansubbing team (as opposed to one just trying to get an episode out as quickly as possible) can take just as long, if they are careful with their translation, quality check, and editing?

You are not owed instantaneous anime. Patience is a virtue and a sign of being an adult.

*We're not allowed to mention names here, but hopefully at least a few of you know which group I'm talking about. There are other teams that are worse, which I had misfortune to work with in my brief career as a QCer.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And here comes the entitlement train. 5 days?

That wasn't really entitlement. It seemed to be a joke about using term 'simulcast' for a stream that takes place 5 days after the initial airing.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

you don't know that. I think AM2 did very well this year. without AM2, AX will be very expensive. you will know. AM2 even hope people who just want to go to AX.

According to most eye witness reports I've read, it didn't do all that well. If they had planned smaller and on a different weekend from AX, they would have likely been more successful. But I seriously doubt AM2 had any affect on AX 2011's rates.

Quote:

for my selfish reason. I hope they will do it again on July 4th weekend next year. ANN is wrong, when i was there, there were reasonable amount of people in the building. You won't get as many people as AX, or a 2 hours line.

If AX is too expensive for you, then it doesn't matter which weekend AM2 is on so long as it continues running. And if AM2 wishes to survive, it is in their best interest to go with a weekend that isn't against AX and drop this stupid idea that they are in competition with AX. Otherwise, AM2 will become "DeadCon" and you will be SOL.

that why i said you never know. anything can happen. You are probably one those people who think netflix has no chance against blockbuster when they start when little or no money.

In this world, innovation can beats the same old way. AM2 has some of those innovation in their mind. If they fight and fail, that's part of the game.

AM2 can move to another weekend, but it doesn't mean, I will go. If AM2 is not a holiday weekend or during school time, there is no way that I will go.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
That wasn't really entitlement. It seemed to be a joke about using term 'simulcast' for a stream that takes place 5 days after the initial airing.

I've read enough of these conversations online to be willing to wager DmonHiro meant "how dare they take 5 days!" given the context.

Still, if you meant the other, apologies for calling you entitled, DmonHiro. But there's no set definition of the term "simulcast," and "simultaneous" could mean "simultaneous with its run in Japan, as opposed to waiting a year for DVDs" rather than "simultaneous to the same day/hour/minute." It's up to the distributor to choose the term they want to use. I just use the term "legal stream."
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

And here comes the entitlement train. 5 days? Really? You're going to complain for waiting less than a week?

Dude, they're calling it a simulcast... and it airs 5 days LATER. That's not a simulcast, that's just a....... cast.

A simulcast is a short term for "simultaneous broadcast". Technically, nothing on CR is a simulcast. A simulcast would air at the exact same time. Still, to call something that airs 5 days later a simulcast is silly.

PS: You owe me no appologie. I AM an entitled jerk, make no mistake about it. Well, kind of... I don't think I am entitled to free anime, but I take it anyway.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

I've read enough of these conversations online to be willing to wager DmonHiro meant "how dare they take 5 days!" given the context.

Still, if you meant the other, apologies for calling you entitled, DmonHiro. But there's no set definition of the term "simulcast," and "simultaneous" could mean "simultaneous with its run in Japan, as opposed to waiting a year for DVDs" rather than "simultaneous to the same day/hour/minute." It's up to the distributor to choose the term they want to use. I just use the term "legal stream."

Simulcast has been in use for a long time and has always meant a broadcast airing on multiple channels at the same time. It is only current marketing bollocks that's turning the term into vague nonsense.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:04 am Reply with quote
My one and only major complaint when it comes to Otakon is the food. The convention center doesn't allow food to be sold inside that doesn't come from their own vendor (which is pretty expensive as you can expect), not even in the dealers room which is a bummer if you're looking for Japanese snacks (accept for Hi-Chew, not sure how they get a booth there). And there aren't that many cheap options outside unless you want hot dogs. I had made some regular stops at the Super Fresh next to the hotel last year, but that's gone now so I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing for meals this year.

Hey Zac and Justin, with all the talk about anime cons have you ever tried getting Patrick Delahanty of AnimeCons.com on the show? He's also the co-founder of Anime Boston and actively does guest relations and various other staff rolls at many other cons. He's a great guy and another big Dr. Who nerd.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Simulcast has been in use for a long time and has always meant a broadcast airing on multiple channels at the same time. It is only current marketing bollocks that's turning the term into vague nonsense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulcast

Even if the material is released a few hours later it's technically not a simulcast. The material has to stream at exactly the same time. And those using Crunchyroll for free will often wait at least seven days for material. Anyone who complains about five days is usually someone paying for the service. But a complaint about late service shouldn't be automatically seen as an argument for entitlement.

I think that Nyanpire is probably aimed at pre-teen girls who would go for the cuteness while still being considered mature enough for the jokes. It seems to be much the same audience that Hi Hi Puffy AmiYume aimed at.
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

that why i said you never know. anything can happen. You are probably one those people who think netflix has no chance against blockbuster when they start when little or no money.

In this world, innovation can beats the same old way. AM2 has some of those innovation in their mind. If they fight and fail, that's part of the game.

Where is the "innovation"? AM2 hasn't doing anything that other anime conventions haven't done or attempted before.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

I think that Nyanpire is probably aimed at pre-teen girls who would go for the cuteness while still being considered mature enough for the jokes. It seems to be much the same audience that Hi Hi Puffy AmiYume aimed at.

I'll buy that. As I think Gia mentioned, it would do really well in merchandizing here, and now that the words "pre-teen" have been brought up, I can totally see it in Claire's Boutique. I was, as I think I said in the podcast, thinking of the 6-9 range solely because that's when I was in a serious
Bunnicula phase. But the 10-13 makes much more sense. (Yeah, yeah, they're both technically pre-teen. Wink )
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
Personally, I've always seen the "pre-teen" range as 9-12.

Let me tell you, if my 13-year-old daughter were to see 13-year-olds labeled as "pre-teens," she would be highly offended. She'd be yelling and declaring that since she's 13, she's a teenager, NOT a pre-teen.

Princess_Irene wrote:
I was, as I think I said in the podcast, thinking of the 6-9 range solely because that's when I was in a serious Bunnicula phase. But the 10-13 makes much more sense. (Yeah, yeah, they're both technically pre-teen. Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I was speaking in terms of ages that books are marketed towards - the 10-13 group is still considered "middle grade" and 14 and up is "young adult." Sorry for any confusion.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
That's OK. Smile

And thank you for the explanation of the age breakdowns for book marketing for those particular age ranges. That does explain some of the book choices my 13-year-old's teachers have made over the past couple of years, and it makes the selections make a little more sense to me. Unfortunately, since my 13-year-old is an accelerated reader, she felt that some of the choices being presented in her English classes for 6th and 7th grader were "below" her and too easy.

Princess_Irene wrote:
I was speaking in terms of ages that books are marketed towards - the 10-13 group is still considered "middle grade" and 14 and up is "young adult." Sorry for any confusion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

And here comes the entitlement train. 5 days? Really? You're going to complain for waiting less than a week?

Dude, they're calling it a simulcast... and it airs 5 days LATER. That's not a simulcast, that's just a....... cast.

A simulcast is a short term for "simultaneous broadcast". Technically, nothing on CR is a simulcast. A simulcast would air at the exact same time. Still, to call something that airs 5 days later a simulcast is silly.

When you figure how often American networks repeat (I mean "encore") a show for the following week, sometimes even using it as the lead-in to the new episodes, I think 5-days is still perfectly accecptable [despite not preferable] for the term simulcast. Now once an episode gets lapped... all bets are off, B&M away (even though the SHOW is still being broadcast simultaneously, just not the EPISODE.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4