• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh's Kazuki Takahashi Launches Advent Heroes Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Now all we need is a decent translation, because this looks really cool to try and learn. Beats BS and Crazy 8s for sure.
danielericiverson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
When Kazuki Takahashi refers to his enjoyment of "American comics", does he just mean superheroes?

The graphic novel section at bookstores is all just the same decades-old hardcover gritty superheroes... but there is this new section just last month they have along with the magazines, those 3 to 5 dollar comic books at about 32 pages with Marvel, DC, Simpsons, and Mega Man subjects.

I checked something that looks like an illustrated rule book story thing, and if that's his own art, then Kazuki Takahasi does decent straightforward superhero art. It does not look like any nationally cliched drawing style. This is like a card game that uses regular playing cards but uses a special rulebook or other element to make it specialized?
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
No, his main inspiration is the creator of Hellboy. I believe they have done an art exchange at least twice, however the second we cannot see. He also had the artist of the most famous movie posters (Back to the Future famous) draw Yugi, but we cannot see that one either (Kaz says it is beyond anything he could draw, he is jealous).

As for his love of comic books, I think it has to do with the art being more complex, and including color, which is another dimension entirely. If you look at his galaries on his website, you can see his artwork is more suited for comic books, it uses about 10% cell shading, 90% standard shading (the more complex kind). This guy is a rebel, it is what made Yugioh famous, his artwork is just different.

Also, the comic book thing he made reads/opens left to right.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to see an English manual for the game.

Is this just a small side project, or is he planning on developing it further? I always liked Takahashi's sharper, grittier artstyle, and it would be pretty neat to see his take on American-style superheroes.
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Sounds rather exciting, if you ask me.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Do you mean Mike Mignola and Drew Struzan, respectively?
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Lapin noir wrote:
Do you mean Mike Mignola and Drew Struzan, respectively?

Both. The blog post is here.

http://www.studio-dice.com/dice/mypage/145-2011-06-12-04-36-27.html
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote
My guess is he also likes Spawn, based on a certain "American comic hero" which appeared in the manga. Rolling Eyes
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
My guess is he also likes Spawn, based on a certain "American comic hero" which appeared in the manga. Rolling Eyes

During the Yugioh GX era, he designed nearly all the "HERO" monsters, which all resembled American comic heros, or anti-heros. Some did draw from Japanese superheros and European as well, but that digresses.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/HERO
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1