• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The World Is Hers: How Hatsune Miku Is Changing Everything

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, when I first heard Miku sing on Youtube, I thought this was going to be just a fad, and fans would move on to the latest thing. But after hearing more and more of the new stuff, I am an ardent fan now. I hadn't heard that there was going to be an English version coming out, though it makes total sense to take advantage of Vocaloid popularity. I know I'll pick one up (hopefully a novice like me can work it!)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Look, when the official English Vocaloid comes out, there's just one way to judge this: Simon Cowell. Laughing

If it could survive Simon, then we know they did a good job.
loka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Apparently, she isn't changing enough for Otakon to give a shit when approached to host her at the con.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
So in other words Vocaloid is like a musical version of Poser,interesting way of looking at it. And like Poser it'll most likely be looked down upon as not being "real" art.

Sadly that is probably true. I have noticed that in the professional art community: They (not saying all of them, just all the ones I seem to know) REALLY look down on anyone who didn't go through the motions to get there, no matter how skilled they are.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Regardless I hope the future involves my being able to buy a good localised version of the software.
Gurgeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Why do people behind such a cheerful character look so grumpy? Put on your game face, d00ds.
Laughing
Give the poor guys a break. Itoh & Sasaki probably went through dozen of panels, interviews, the concert and the jetlag before this interview Smile

Overall, VERY GOOD article, thanks Carlo !

Nitpicking: you could have added a line about the engloids, though it was already good to mention the voicebanks of other companies like Internet Co. Sure we need to praise the genius of Itoh/Crypton but it's fair to remember interested people that there are many Voicebanks available with Vocaloid2 and soon Vocaloid3.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Regardless I hope the future involves my being able to buy a good localised version of the software.

Probably cost ya a fair bit though. If ya think Aniplex is expensive.... Laughing
kucingila

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:16 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I have a prediction, and probably an inevitable milestone in this expanding pop-culture bandwagon anyway: I think in the near future we will see Vocaloid conventions (fan run events of course).

In Japan? If yes, there are few regular Vocaloid conventions such as Vocaloid M@ster/VOM@S (Tokyo), Vocaloid Paradise/VocaPara (Kyoto), Dear M@ster (Osaka), and Vocaloid Festival/VocaFes (also held in Tokyo, but officially organized by Yamaha).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
I had a tear in my eye when I finished reading that. I'm an old git, but I love the sound that Miku, Luka, Lin, and Haku, make in the hands of some extremely talented individuals out there in Japan, and I can't wait to hear just what can be created when Miku finishes her English lessons. Wink Laughing

enurtsol wrote:
Look, when the official English Vocaloid comes out, there's just one way to judge this: Simon Cowell. Laughing

This would drive him barking mad, this would, and I will love watching him froth, wail, and moan when that twunt realises he and his kind are no longer required in the music world . Twisted Evil

enurtsol wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Probably cost ya a fair bit though. If ya think Aniplex is expensive.... Laughing
Artist are starting to get a bit of brass in for their work. I know I've been sending a bit of mine to them for their efforts, even if it only helps with buying a pint of milk, it still helps them recoup the cost of the software and encourages them to create even more excellent music. if you have ever dropped a coin in the instrument case of a street busker, you'll know exactly what I mean. Wink
soft-n-fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I had a tear in my eye when I finished reading that. I'm an old git, but I love the sound that Miku, Luka, Lin, and Haku, make in the hands of some extremely talented individuals out there in Japan, and I can't wait to hear just what can be created when Miku finishes her English lessons. Wink Laughing

Um, Haku isn't a Vocaloid she's just a character. And I think you mean Rin not Lin.

Thanks so much for writing this article, Carlo! I have seen so much misunderstanding and dislike towards Vocaloids on the ANN forums ("So they're basically just like Gorillaz" I feel like punching a puppy every time I see that comparison made). Hopefully this will clear up some misconceptions about the Vocaloid culture. People need to realize that it's more about consumer-generated media than about the characters.
Gurgeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
soft-n-fluffy wrote:
Um, Haku isn't a Vocaloid she's just a character. And I think you mean Rin not Lin.
Hey, one can like Voyakiloid too Razz Also Lin/Ren or Rin/Len bah they're interchangeable no ?
Kugutsu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I have a prediction, and probably an inevitable milestone in this expanding pop-culture bandwagon anyway: I think in the near future we will see Vocaloid conventions (fan run events of course).

There already is a doujin music con in Japan called VOC@LOiD M@STER. The next one will be the 17th con.

enurtsol wrote:

There are actually several official English native speaking Vocaloids out already for sale in America.
potassium

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
Now if you could just write an article like this for Touhou, maybe I'd actually be able to understand something about that franchise other than LOADS AND LOADS OF CHARACTERS.

Touhou is Hetalia for boys.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I still don't see the appeal personally, but it's obvious that this Mr. Itoh managed to hit it big with this concept, so good on him for that.
Russ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Apparently, she isn't changing enough for Otakon to give a shit when approached to host her at the con.

I tried. Smile

Their biggest concern is it was too expensive. I was informed that if it weren't for Toyota footing a huge part of the bill for AX, it wouldn't have happened there either. Still, the price keeps going up. Maybe next year. At least Otakon is getting a DJ that worked specifically with Vocaloid. I'll take what I can get.

I'll go to Japan one of these years. And attending a Miku concert is on the 'priority' list. I can only hope they have another one here in the states that is closer to home and that the announcement for it gives me time enough to plan for it (vacation time, flight if needed, etc).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4