• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) IDOLM@STER (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote

(The) IDOLM@STER (TV)

Source: Video Game (developed by Cygames, Metro, and Bandai Namco Studios)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures

Genres: comedy, drama

Themes: idols, music

Plot Summary: The arduous struggle of the 13 girls from Talent Production 765 who dream of one day becoming idols in the competitive Japanese entertainment industry.

Air Date & Platform: Crunchyroll
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

After seeing two episodes, i'm enjoying the series since the it remain faithful to the games. And i love how it focuses on how the girls become better idols.

If you like to know more about the Idolmaster series, here's a dedicated fansite which also has it' own wikia. But be warn of spoilers!
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
I much prefer the aspect of it going deeper, really cutting through the manufactured fakey personas and single defining traits they're forced to adhere to, and seeing the girls underneath. It gives a very realistic look into how sad the idol-manufacturing industry really is.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
Been following this series and I'm loving it so far. The two twins are definitely my favorite, they're adorable and mischievous.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
But is Ryo Akizuki in it???
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
Just watched episode 3 & 4. I love that the anime shows that being an idol ain't easy and you don't always get what you want.

Episode 3 deals with Yukiho trying to overcome her fear of men and the idols starting at a small concert while episode 4 deals with Chihaya getting use with gigs she's not use to especially ones with no singing. And Durians.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
This show is starting to get really boring. I started watching because of the animation crew, but they aren't using them for anything grand. Yes, the overall refined look it has is nice, but I want some dance scenes like in the OP, loud arguments/fights, running, SOMETHING!

So I find the show boring and the reason I started watching isn't doing much, so I'm very disappointed. I'm going to keep watching because I know there will be dance scenes and I know they're just introducing the characters for the first half, and so it'll most likely get better (get the boring characters out of the way first). I'm also sure the stuff I want will show up since this is an idol show with a range of ages and young girls, so arguments are bound to happen, along with at least one sweet dance number.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I started watching because the first episode made it seem like a deep series that takes a look at the real girls behind the one-dimensional cliches and false personas assigned to them by the studio and shows everyone that the Japanese idol industry can be very cruel and creepy.

But nope. Turns out the first episode was a fake-out, cause this series is pretty much just like the games, the idol industry is being made out to look great, and those cliches and whatnot ARE the girls' personalities.

Very sad, this show had real potential.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really expect them to be any different than I have seen from game excerpts. It is unfortunate that the show followed the superficial path, but that is really what the built in audience was wanting. If you want some interesting analysis you could try Néojaponisme. It has a series on the Jimusho system which produces idols.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Ep5 Summer vacation.

A beach episode that thankfully does not focus too much on fan-service but character interaction.

Judging by the preview....spoiler[Looks like Iori, Azusa and Ami becomes a new unit especially since Azusa has cut her hair just like the 2nd game.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
So, by the 6th episode our producer learns that he should send qualified people to jobs instead of apparently choosing by a dart board... although that's apparently how the Idol trio was chosen spoiler[ (Who splits up perfectly in sinc twins because one of them has "water" in their name?)].

It seems that in an effort to replicate a game in which the player knows nothing we have been given characters who don't know what they should.
spoiler[
I also found it curious that the point of the first half was to show that the girls didn't have any work and then suddenly, after a montage that seemed to show that the producer wasn't having any luck, the girls had so much work that the producer was a harried mess that was sending the wrong girls to jobs, double booking and not going to the most important jobs.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ethanftw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
After reading this post, I decided to look up a little bit about this anime on ANN. Since it seems to be a mecha, I'll probably most likely enjoy it. Does anyone know if this has been dubbed? I'm thinking probably not...
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The mecha show is a different, older show. it was one of the more... unorthodox approaches to adapting a game of this type. It was a Sunrise show that was more in line with their My-Hime/Otome shows than their Gundam shows. I don't think it has much chance of a license, much less a dub.

This thread is about the more traditional adaptation being broadcast now.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Turns out the first episode was a fake-out

That's exactly how I felt. I liked the whole documentary-style it was using, but that was completely gone by the end of ep 1, and ep 2 was just girls fussing about costumes. I got halfway through ep 3 before turning it off. It was just full on exploitation of one girls' phobia of men. I am so sick of man-phobia in anime characters! I might peek in time to time to see what the show is doing, but I'm not dedicating shiz to this. Rolling Eyes
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 was very heartwarming.

spoiler[Typical of any Rie Kugiyama roles, Iori had some character development. Yayoi is such a good big sister.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
So where were all these girls when I was a teenager anyway?

They seem to be doing a decent job in giving each girl some individuality. So much so it is hard to imagine them all dancing in sync. But it is still fun to watch.

Nothing more to add but I thought Miki walked into the producer's bath on purpose. And I don't think that towel was an accident either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4