• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 8 Anime Parents You'd Call Child Services On

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
DoktorZetsubou wrote:
Excuse me if this is somewhat off-topic but the characters from Hourou Musuko / Wandering Son should absolutely not be counted as "crossdressers"- being transgender is very different from "crossdressing".
While I'm aware that this is just an anime and I'm sure you're not trying to make a statement about gender identity, it is still extremely rude to transgender individuals as a whole to include characters from a series that is specifically about the struggles of transgender youth in a list of "crossdressers".
I would like to request that you remove those two from the list.

It's like you want the series to have no press. I was genuinely curious about where they'd rank, as a way of gauging how few people are aware of the series, and assumed they'd fallen off the charts when I saw the results. Where did they land, and also is this site doing a review of the GN1, because it really needs to be mentioned somewhere...

Shuichi ranged halfway I think, and Yoshino was near the bottom.

I voted for Shuichi (I was torn between he and Yoshino) because the series is so realistic, and the others on the list are mostly played for comedic effect, or there's some ulterior motive.

However, I understand why Dr. Zetsubou requested the removal.

On other manga and comic sites (including NPR's comic book reviewer, Glen Weldon), Wandering Son is getting a lot of rave reviews. Ed Sizemore did a really great podcast on it on Manga Out Loud.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
IGNORE what I just wrote. I only skimmed the intro and went straight to the list. I have since been shown the error of my ways and retract what I wrote above, but I'll leave it as a monument to not skimming opening paragraphs. Razz

Except they did do those movies which actually would qualify for the last five years and put NGE back in the running.

doctordoom85 wrote:
I guess Shou Tucker of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood doesn't count since he first appeared in the '03 anime and I guess the list only counts one have popped up for the first time in the last 5 years. If not, him not making the cut is baffling.

It just says the character has to be from the last five years, not debute. I don't see why remakes, especially ones with as drastic of difference as the NGE movies and FMA:B. But I don't really care about that, it's Gia's list, she can make the rules. I'm still annoyed that Kotetsu is considered a bad parent, and worse yet than the parent at number 8. I'd certainly put him on a good parent list.

Oh, I forgot to talk about the new poll. My vote went for AnoHana, the show is the first masterpiece of the year for me (Nichijou will be as well, but I don't rate things until they're over). It's often touching, at times shocking, has made me laugh and cry in single episodes in ways many shows can't, and it's often unpredictable. More shows should be like this.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Anime Parents you'd call Child Services on?

And no mention of Gendo Ikari?

This is the fourth person now who has not bothered to pay attention to all of what Gia said in her opening paragraph before starting to type: she is only using parents featured in anime that's new within the last five years. (And the NGE movies don't count since those characters first appeared 15 years ago.) She also did point out that she's not doing a "worst all-time" list because "half of them would be from Neon Genesis Evangelion."

Really, people, read thoroughly before you comment and actually use a microamp of brain power.

As to characters who could have been included on the list, I point to the person I named as the Biggest Bastard of 2010: Takezou Ayase from Shigofumi, who subjected his teenage daughter to erotic photography, planned to do the same to his elementary school-aged daughter, and tried to convince the older one to prostitute herself.

I'll also agree that a "worthy parents" list would be much harder to do, especially if restricted to the last five years, but there are still some strong options out there. My #1 pick would be Akio and Sanae Furukawa (Nagisa's parents) from Clannad and Clannad After Story, who did make mistakes early on but corrected them and not only never let the sacrifices they made for their daughter show but also became one of the most demonstrably loving families in all of anime. (Really, I challenge anyone to top them.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Untramen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I just have to post this.

I disagree with Kotetsu being on this list.

He's not there for his child. I'll give you that. His work prevents him from living with her, and I fail to see how that would prompt anyone to call Child Services.

The fact is, his work is dangerous. Even if he plays little to no role in some of the arrests, that doesn't give him an excuse to put his daughter in danger by having her live with him. This is a superhero show, in which revealing your identity makes you and your loved ones a target.

He has a daughter. Any father will tell you how difficult it is to properly bond with a daughter, so her attitude with her father is not strange at all.

So I would say he's a so-so parent.

But the title of the list says "8 Anime Parents You'd Call Child Services On." It's misleading. It's not simply talking about bad parents. It's talking about outright negligence or abuse. You can't really call Child Services on someone just because their job doesn't let them be with their children 24/7! I'd say only half of the parents on this list actually qualify.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

I'm really surprised no one from Umineko is on that list. Questionable parents actually make up almost half the cast

I'm guessing Gia never watched/played it.

Especially Rosa. Not only is she constantly hitting Maria, but spoiler[she's hitting her whenever she says a phrase that she thinks will make her mother love her more].

Not to mention the whole spoiler[leaving Maria at home by herself for days while she goes off on trips with men] thing...

Key wrote:

I'll also agree that a "worthy parents" list would be much harder to do, especially if restricted to the last five years, but there are still some strong options out there. My #1 pick would be Akio and Sanae Furukawa (Nagisa's parents) from Clannad and Clannad After Story, who did make mistakes early on but corrected them and not only never let the sacrifices they made for their daughter show but also became one of the most demonstrably loving families in all of anime. (Really, I challenge anyone to top them.)

I certainly agree with this.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Why is Ohana's mom Satsuki from Hanasaku Iroha not here?
Why are Hayate's parents from Hayate no Gotoku not here?
Why is Shou Tucker from FMA:B not here?
Why ESPECIALLY is Rosa from Umineko not here?

Hell, even from the Tiger & Bunny part spoiler[Mr. Legend is WAY WAY WAY WORSE than Kotetsu would ever be. At least Kotetsu didn't beat his kid]

I think this list truly needed some more bad parental exposure.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
I think there should be a special "rank" for a certain somebody.
Gendo Ikari.
Worst Human Being/Father In Anime.

I think Auguste Beau tops him, but that's going into spoilers and a series that's a bit too old for this
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

This I can definitely agree on. Have their son work to bone doing all sorts of jobs just so they can use that money for their pointless ventures. Then they get in so much debt and they just flee, leaving their teenage son with the burden of the"very nice men" debt collectors.
hammu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Having Kotestu on here is a bit harsh Rolling Eyes
keyinjpop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Would Oga from Beelzebub be considered a bad parent?
keyinjpop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

This I can definitely agree on. Have their son work to bone doing all sorts of jobs just so they can use that money for their pointless ventures. Then they get in so much debt and they just flee, leaving their teenage son with the burden of the"very nice men" debt collectors.

Agreed but when was Hayate no Gotoku released? That's probably why it didn't make the list.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure Hayate's first season was 2007, and with Code Geass being 2006, it should be well within the time restriction.
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
DoktorZetsubou wrote:
Excuse me if this is somewhat off-topic but the characters from Hourou Musuko / Wandering Son should absolutely not be counted as "crossdressers"- being transgender is very different from "crossdressing".
While I'm aware that this is just an anime and I'm sure you're not trying to make a statement about gender identity, it is still extremely rude to transgender individuals as a whole to include characters from a series that is specifically about the struggles of transgender youth in a list of "crossdressers".

It's like you want the series to have no press. I was genuinely curious about where they'd rank, as a way of gauging how few people are aware of the series, and assumed they'd fallen off the charts when I saw the results. Where did they land, and also is this site doing a review of the GN1, because it really needs to be mentioned somewhere...

As someone who obviously cares about transgender issues, of course I want the series to get more exposure! I just wanted to bring up that having the two characters on the list was hugely offensive because they are not "crossdressers".
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
What about the legal guardians of both Minami families in Minami-ke? I think it's implied that the unseen aunt is the legal guardian of the three Minami sisters, but her actual responsibilities seem to be limited to sending their cousin to give the Minami girls money every so often.

It's even less clear who the legal guardian of the other Minami family is, though the oldest brother may be of the age of majority now, so I guess it could be him, though that doesn;t explain the guardianship situation between the time that whatever happened to the 2nd set of Minami parents happened and the time that the oldest brother became an adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DoktorZetsubou wrote:

*claps*
Thank you.
No knocks or bad spell to Gia or ANN, but I really do agree with this.
Gender identity, cross dressing, sexual preference, and the ever present drag queen aren't apart of one big round circle graph.

I'm glad that Haruhi and Kuranouske are at the top of the list, they are really the best examples for non-judgement cross dressing because they exude a more androgynous attitude.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know what Nitori and Yoshino were listed as?

Although it's been mentioned that the list is only of recent anime (5 years) wouldn't Gendou still count because of his feature in the new films? Gotta say, he's a worse dad but in the list I suppose he doesn't count. (maybe an honourable mention should be put on the list. But hey, the point of this feature is to get a big discussion going on; As far as I can tell that's been accomplished)

1. Nichijou
2. Hanasaku
3. A Channel
I really hate that I started watching A Channel, but I really do miss the new episodes now. Nichijou has completely escaped my expectations and continues to amaze me. Every single episode has hilarious features but you still manage to latch on to the characters on an emotional level. It'd be a shame if the show didn't get picked up by anyone. I'm hoping Funi gets it, personally.

Great list this week, Gia! I'd really love to see a column focused on good parents some time in conjunction with this one. Can't wait for the next one! (get this as a weekly one, already! We love it!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6