• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Super Robot Island: Dork of the Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treatment

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
web-archive to the rescue!

http://web.archive.org/web/20071024160220/www.japanhero.com/super+robot+images/rimages.htm

most of the images prolly did not survived, but you can still google 'em or something.

Laughing
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I think Telesuccess planned of dubbing Combattler V in English but they decided to dub it in Tagalog instead..I still hope they'll dub that anime in English in the near future! Laughing

There are three types of Voltes 5 in Tagalog dubs,the one's aired in 1989-1990 on IBC 13,the 1999 Tagalog dubs made for GMA 7 and the ones with celebrity dubbers on Hero TV around 2006. Laughing
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
twinklestarex wrote:
There are three types of Voltes 5 in Tagalog dubs,the one's aired in 1989-1990 on IBC 13,the 1999 Tagalog dubs made for GMA 7 and the ones with celebrity dubbers on Hero TV around 2006. Laughing

I don't remember the IBC 13 Tagalog dub at all, just reruns of the English dub. But it's not like I was keeping notes on all of this. There does seem to a tendency for multiple Tagalog dubs of the same show, for some reason.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
As for Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter, I've always wondered why we got New Getter Robo (which is decent but not slam-bang crazy like Vs.) but not that. It's always seemed way more accessible to me, even with the World Trade Center making a queasy appearance in episode 1 (they'd finished it shortly before the attack, see...)

To each their own I guess. I personally thought that Shin vs. Neo was the weakest of the OVAs and less accessible than New, which doesn't require any previous knowledge of Getter lore. IMHO, the quality goes Armageddon > New >>> Shin vs. Neo.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This was a fun column. I really enjoy robot shows but I'm choosy. Go Nagai became a favorite of mine back in the mid 80's. When I first saw Tranzor-Z in Chicago. During my early college years I had the honor of seeing some of these robot shows. I do remember 'Machine Robo' during my HS years. Never watched the show just remember the OPs. Then there were all those wannabe "just getting into anime so they felt they knew enough to convince those ignorant they they knew everything and have them repeating the same stuff", as that Machine Robo inspired the Go Bots or that Go Bots was the US version of Machine Robo. WTH????

Yep that whole put a robot into a robot to get a even bigger robot I thought that quite cool. I always wonder why couldn't you ever see a fight with the lesser. Of course it always seemed that things were always so bad you had to move to the next suit. Another time I've seen this method used was in 'Dangaioh'. The villain Giabold was a cyborg who hated his humaness, who fought Dangaioh in a suit and later fit into a giant robot. The future learns from the past, look at GaoGaigar. He's human cyborg, who combines with Galeon to create an armored suit, which combines with vehicles, which makes a giant robot. I wonder if Transformers Masterforce fits into this alley too. The hero wears an armored suit, which pilots the OP robot, which trailer gets more armor and even more armor making it almost a giant OP robot.

I can't get into Tatsunoko robots. I'm talking about the weird ones, yet they're considered robot shows. There was a guy who's YT channel I used to frequent he uploaded all these robot OP/ED, categorized by year, from 1970 to 1990. I was surprised to see the Time Boken series in there, but yet they're robot shows.

Koichi Mashimo worked on robot shows? Man the place you've been and where you end up.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote
Well here in Puerto Rico, we might not have been as lucky as most of Latin America in robot anime but we fared better than the US, the Super Robot torch was lit as it was in Larin America with Mazinger Z, we had access to "El Festival de los Robots" that showcased episodes of Kotetsu Jeeg (El Vengador), Daiku Maryu Gaiking (El Gladiador) and Magno Robo Gakken (Super Magnetron) alongside Starzinger, there was Also Armored Trooper Dorvack, Toshi Gordian, Aku Dai-Sakusen Srungle known here as Gorilla Force and Laserion (know here as El Super Laser[]) I think the last Super Robot show show here was a few episodes of Groiser X. before the FCC cracked down on animated programming in the 90's and TV stations decided to fill Weekday Mornings and afternoons and weekend mornings with infomercials and talk shows .

As a genfre it might have lost flavor with the current annime fandom, but they are stories full of high adventure where the battle between good and evil is presented with high stakes and it was a whole lot of fun compared with the moe/eroge adaptation series that populate the airwaves now in Japan, heck I'm getting more Robot action out of Super Sentai these days..., heck in Spain they are releasing Shin Mazinger on DVD/Blu Ray
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3