• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces New License and Tsubasa Release Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It makes me sad that Shuffle! got licensed over more deserving harem series such as Magikano or Da Capo.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Great! new shoujo titles, most of the titles coming out are shonen. So I'm very happy with this news, Tsubasa,My santa!,Shuffle and XxXxholic looks good. Most of them are part romance/ fantasy too. Very Happy DAmn..i gotta start saving some cash. Shocked lols Wink
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
never seen shuffle, and i tried to watch Tsubasa, but licensing has prevented me from getting to, i dont know.....EPISODE 3!! it looks inferior to the incredible awesomeness that is the manga. this manga has restored my faith in CLAMP, but the problem now is that there arent as much CLAMP in bookstores anymore. a few years ago, yes. but now i wanna check out more of their manga.

if i hadnt read Chobits, i would have probably ended up a CLAMP fan sooner. DAMN HUMAN/ROBOT RELATIONS!!!!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:

Glad to see Funimation has finally decided to do something about Tsubasa. I'd like to see how they'll handle the honorifics.(which is actually a plot point in season 1)

Hmm, you're right. It will be interesting to see how they handle some of the...childish...honorifics Fai gives to Kurogane. As you said, it is a plot point of the story so if they don't do it correctly, someone who doesn't know the story/manga will not understand why Kurogane blows up when Fai does that.

I'm hoping that Funi will cough up, I mean, allocate some money for an ANN skin with a free episode...that would be nice IMO. I'd LOVE to see what that skin would look like!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
i don't care so much about titles as: yay new anime licensed! new good anime that i hear rave reviews about.

woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
luhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Great! new shoujo titles, most of the titles coming out are shonen. So I'm very happy with this news, Tsubasa,My santa!,Shuffle and XxXxholic looks good. Most of them are part romance/ fantasy too. Very Happy

Except none of those titles are shoujo. Just because it's by CLAMP or has romance doesn't make it shoujo.

I know I'm being rather anal about this, but the depressing reality is that very few, if any, true shoujo titles are being licensed these days.

Last edited by luhead on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
It makes me sad that Shuffle! got licensed over more deserving harem series such as Magikano or Da Capo.

Reading this made me laugh, Magikano made me fall asleep, I couldn't watch all 13 or so of those out of boredom and you're saying it's more deserving than Shuffle!? Rolling Eyes
relak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
ooh, finally Tsubasa is getting a release.

but there's still no info on the dub casts.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
relak wrote:
ooh, finally Tsubasa is getting a release.

but there's still no info on the dub casts.

Sure there is!

Additional voices: Mike McFarland Very Happy
Chiikaboom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow im seriously shocked that SHUFFLE! got liscenced. I mean, its based off of a dating sim. This is good news, even though Im not the biggest fan of SHUFFLE!, this increases the chances of shows like Kanon 2006 or Air to get liscenced. The day that happens, id be ecstatic.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Chiikaboom wrote:
I mean, its based off of a dating sim.

Nothing new. After all, To Heart, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, and Comic Party all got licensed long before Shuffle! did, and they're not the only ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Tsubasa I can definitely understand, but why Shuffle?

They can't honestly expect it to sell well; it was a niche title to begin with and appeals to a very limited audience. General anime fans who are just DVD-hunting for something to buy aren't going to pick up this one either; from the outlook it is just about the most cliche and generic harem flick you'll ever find. The first 3 or so DVDs would turn away many potential fans as well, seeing as how the series, unfortunately, is pretty much garbage until halfway through.

I understand that the license is cheaper than titles such as Haruhi, but FUNi isn't helping themselves...
Stullz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I beg to differ. SHUFFLE may not be the best harem series ever but it will be a good seller. I see a lot of worse harem/ecchi animes sell good, even UFO Maiden (which killed me as does Girls Bravo) Shuffle has heart, and that is a big part of anime iin general.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
One more day to go and FUNi still manages to save me money. Wink

So where's Mushishi, xxxHOLiC TV, release date for Beck?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
They can't honestly expect it to sell well; it was a niche title to begin with and appeals to a very limited audience.
I have no hard numbers to back this belief, but I think the number of people who are buying anime titles is increasing. It seems like people who normally wouldn't buy most titles are picking up the more niche titles as well.

If nothing else, perhaps Funimation simply ran the numbers and found that the extremely limited number of people who would buy the series would be enough to generate an acceptable amount of profit. Maybe the sales figures have been really good for Rumbling Hearts. (I know I'm buying that one.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3