• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinobi Movie in Theaters Next Week

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roguespider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
In the first line, either that should say January 31st or we have much longer than a week to wait. Shocked

-Roguespider
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh lord this movie was so lame as it was....everyone should watch basilisk instead. This movie was so bad ><
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
but why Canton, MI?

At least Ann Arbor or somethin remotely close...oh well. at least its in MI.

I wonder though...if they were to take a poll on where the most anime fans were in the US- would they be in these states listed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, this movie was just terrible.

I watched (endured) it last year at the New York Asian Film Festival and what a mistake that was. I went in expecting a loud, slash 'em up action film. That's what I was in the mood for. Maybe that was my fault, but the story was woefully predictable and its cast rather dull. If you've watched any Japanese ninja animation or film, then it's likely you'll recognize each and every character that shows up on screen.

From the feral, wolfman-like shinobi to the slutty, poisonous (literally) kunoichi, this movie had 'em all. And, yes, there's even a silent, pretty-boy weirdo and creepy masked shinobi to boot. That, and you'll see many more familiar faces. Too bad there's wasn't anyone named "Sasuke" because then they'd have a complete set. Rolling Eyes

Yeah. Maybe I'm being a touch cruel, but this film deserved it. On the surface, there's nothing wrong with tossing around familiar ninja/shinobi archetypes. Pretty much every ninja-anything will likely start out like that, before it [hopefully] adds some new dimension or play on what most of us have seen before. Unfortunately, this movie does very little with its one-dimensional characters.

There were a few small, cool action sequences; Gennosuke's fight and Oboro's special attack. But it's not enough to overlook a dull story and even more yawn-worthy action set pieces. Don't waste you're money on a double-digit, festival ticket. Rent it, at least, so you can decide for yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1