• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: I.G Posts About Ghost in the Shell Movie in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sorvani

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
no place in that announcement did i see them specifically say it will be in English. It simply states live-action rights.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Shocked WHYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?

i wish these people a slow, highly painful and agonizing DEATH Twisted Evil die you people, just get offed as soon as possible.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:53 am Reply with quote
Zamurai-Tactician wrote:
But maybe I am being too negative too early, time will tell eh?

I think many true fans of any series would be skeptical.

Because GitS is has been really good so far, movies and TV alike, fans don't want to see it ruined. I know I don't want to see a GitS film done the way UltraViolet was done, or even AeonFlux.

I think many of us are looking at this thing with doubt in our minds. As you said, time WILL tell.
AnimeMajor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
STOP.

What a terrible idea. Unless it's a $300M blockbuster directed by Mamoru Oshii himself. And even in that best case, it will pollute the fanbase with pathetic people who have little appreciation for finer art, giving I.G a reason to pump out lesser, banal GITS shows Sad

I guess I just hold the intellectual property on such a high pedestal that the mere idea makes me cringe.

So far everything involving GITS has been an absolute masterpiece, in my view. It's either a major coincidence, or someone at i.G is extremely, rightfully protective. A live action movie in English seems out of the question.

AMEN TO THAT, IMHO. THANK YOU, GAMELORE, FOR COMMON SENSE WRITING. I DON'T WANT A LIVE-ACTION G.I.T.S. AT ANY COST OR WITH ANY DIRECTOR. IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT YOU DON'T MESS WITH. THANK YOU, GAMELORE, FOR WRITING WHAT MANY OF US ALREADY HAVE ON OUR MINDS.
papa john

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote
ill give it a chance as long as the guy who did kill bill stays miles away. i just dont like his films, i cant say for shur why either, their really the only films i dislike that are like that. i normally like swords. Very Happy aeon flux was also crap, id never have watched it if someoen else in my family hadnt rented it....

all i have to say is they better get good actors, im talking a+ i dont want to see steven segal LOL. i might be able to indulge in the governator Very Happy personally though id rather see it made in japen with japanese actors then brought here with subtitles at the vary least. i thought hero was pretty good in that regard.
Dorasaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:58 am Reply with quote
We need to wait and see how much committment Production IG is willing to put in. Whether Gits will end up like Aeon Flux or not depends on:

1. how much production money they can put in.
2. who directs the film.

For problem 1, IG needs cooperation from bigger studios and a producer capable of putting together a crew and cast.

For problem 2, as long as problem 1 is solved, this will come easy. Big producer(s) and big studios attract sharp directors, or at least, have more connections and talent pool on their hands.

IG is a rich company now, but when you want to make a live action film that will live up to Gits fame, merely "rich" is not enough.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess if you *had* to make an American Ghost in the Shell movie, I'd go with Alex Proyas] as the director. His near-future version of I, Robot looked good, and his work features recurring "detective" characters as well. See also: The Crow for amazing fight scenes, which this movie would have to have.
forever_young

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the 'Don't Make It' camp. I have a horrible feeling that Hollywood is going to just screw it up. You hear people talk about 'hit and miss,' but this has a bigger chance of it missing, because I don't think there is a strong enough audience that would support it for a successful theater run.
Whoever does it had better make sure they do a hell of a lot of research and homework...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2