• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Silver Spoon by FMA's Arakawa Sells 90,000 in 3 Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
this is a level down from FMA. even FMA vol 1 sold alot more than that.

Tsugumi Ohba + Takeshi Obata change direction from Death Note to Bakuman. Bakuman still break 500k+ each vol
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Tsugumi Ohba + Takeshi Obata change direction from Death Note to Bakuman. Bakuman still break 500k+ each vol

Shonen Jump is a lot more popular than Shonen Sunday, you can't compare the two because of the manga it appears in. You're also comparing this to a manga that doesn't have an anime, and those always give a bump to manga sales.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

The first volume of Bakuman sold 150K-ish not 500k and while that is more than Silver Spoon; running in shonen jump it has more publicity.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
yes, you can compare. you guys can go look at ANN's Japanese manga sale numbers. tons of manga can sell over 100k+ in week even in none popular magazines. There is a reason why Shueisha didn't put the manga in Shōnen jump. Because they probably read the story and think it's weak. If this is a no name mangaka, they probably doesn't even want to publish it. This manga is pretty average right now. Hope she can turn it around later.

If you guys think this is not a step down from FMA, that's fine.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
This is the kind of series that would fill out a subscription base online reader. But no way it could pull of any real sales outside of Japan. The name recognition would sell vol1 but vol2 would probably disappear.

I am not saying this series is good or bad. Slice of life can be popular I have to assume the novelty of Japanese culture helps. This is just like any agricultural based college where I live.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
There is a reason why Shueisha didn't put the manga in Shōnen jump

Huh where does it say that Shueisha refused to put the manga in Shounen Jump. Just because a manga is not in Shounen Jump does not mean they did not think it was good enough for the magazine.

I am guessing Shounen Sunday wanted it because they thought Arakawa's name would help sales. Whether that will happen in the long run or not remains to be seen.

I do agree with others that I can't see Silver Spoon being a big hit internationally at least in the US. That has nothing to do with the quality of the work, I just don't think the type of series sells well here (in the same way sports series don't sell in the US even the really excellent ones).
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
As some people already said, these first week sales are pretty good for a Shonen Sunday series. Silver Spoon will probably never be huge like FMA, but it could become a modest hit. I can see it getting a dorama adaptation in the near future.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I can't help but wonder if it's any good. The premise is not very interesting but I think Arakawa's sense of humor and characterization would work very well in a slice of life type series. I have to say that FMA had me hooked from the very first chapter. It's one of the few shounen comics that I ever really fell for.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
yes, you can compare. you guys can go look at ANN's Japanese manga sale numbers. tons of manga can sell over 100k+ in week even in none popular magazines. There is a reason why Shueisha didn't put the manga in Shōnen jump. Because they probably read the story and think it's weak. If this is a no name mangaka, they probably doesn't even want to publish it. This manga is pretty average right now. Hope she can turn it around later.

If you guys think this is not a step down from FMA, that's fine.

That is absurd, as stated just because something doesn't appear in Shueisha doesn't mean they rejected it. Also the series is going to sell over 100K because the 90K number is of it's first 3 days. The thing should sell at least 150k.

If you don't like something that's fine but don't start claiming things that are not true.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
We'll see if Arakawa could become like Naoko Takeuchi......... Laughing
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:05 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Directs everyone who is misquoting the article to go and re-read it... welcome back.]

Shogakukan (not Shueisha) is running Silver Spoon in their Weekly Shonen Sunday mag. It never had a chance to be in Shonen Jump. Also, I'm quite sure that there could be many people who were fans of FMA more than being fans of Arakawa, and considering the type of series this is, and the fact that FMA was in Square-Enix's Shonen Gangan, it's likely that a huge part of the readership doesn't even know about this series, if they aren't subsribed to/reading both magazines. Yes, you can compare different series all you want, but personally, I would judge this series by itself, on its own merits. If it's good, then it's good. End of story. Based on general sales numbers of manga that don't have anime, 90K is a pretty decent start.
il capitano

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
But I think saying Arakawa is copying off of Moyashimon is a bit ridiculous. Just because they both take places in an agricultural school doesn't mean they are the same. Moyashimon dealt much more with the protagonist ability to see microbes, whereas Silver Spoon deals with the protagonist adjusting to a this new life style that he is not used to: a fish out of water so to speak.

I should also point out that Arakawa grew up on a dairy farm (hence why she draws herself as a cow) so if she is ripping off anyone it's her own life experiences.

Okay, on second thought, you're right, it was a little glib of me to call it a rip-off. I do think it's fair to say that we probably wouldn't have Silver Spoon without Moyashimon, though -- I mean, Arakawa is a big name in the manga world, and I don't think the editorial staff of Shounen Sunday would give her permission to do a series about as unlikely a setting as an agricultural school if it weren't for Moyashimon having proven it to be commercially viable.

So, yeah, "rip-off" wasn't really the right word, because as you say, the manga does different things with the setting, and setting alone counts for rather little of the creative process that goes into a manga. Surely we can agree, though, that a big-name magazine would at least be very skeptical of the idea of one of its newly-acquired big-name authors drawing a long-term manga about an agricultural school if it weren't for Moyashimon proving to be such a surprise hit. There was nothing obvious about Moyashimon selling the way it does -- hell, it still surprises me, when I stop to think about it. Even if we were to assume that Arakawa came up with the idea all by herself, unaware that any other agricultural school manga even exist, it seems fair to say that her editor/s at Sunday must have very much had Moyashimon in mind when he gave it the go-ahead. It's a critically-beloved bestseller -- how could they not?

So for me, when I read the first chapter of Silver Spoon, I saw a manga that was at least partially based on the idea that "Well, Moyashimon sures sells well, so this could work, too." I don't think Arakawa or her editor(s) took much more from it than that, so it's certainly not fair to call it a rip-off like I did. But there is some sort of bandwagon-hopping going on here.

A borrowed setting is a lame reason to reject a manga, though, and it's not the reason I didn't dig Silver Spoon. That probably wasn't clear in my first post. Sorry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2