• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Puts Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray Disc This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The franchise Energizer Bunny known as DBZ strikes again!
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I decided on the Dragon Boxes after finding out Kai wasn't "complete" at the end of it's run. Even though I grew up with that English soundtrack and it's SO nostalgic, the Dragon Boxes are too sexy and too perfect to pass up on.

But this has the English soundtrack... and I'm feeling compelled to get these. Only if they release the episodes in bulk, they aren't expensive, and they do a relatively good job on this remaster.
Zero_Reborn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Can we PLEASE have the Funimation Music BGM Sound track! I hate the Japanese Sound track. If the Funimation sound track isn't in I am not buying. That is the main reason the Dragon Boxes mean nothing to me.

Nope , they were removed forever for a reason. They were crud.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
And what's Erin Finnegan's response to all this?

I swear, if Funi sends me these to review, I'm gonna - I'm gonna...

Image courtesy of Booter-Freak
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Only 17 episodes on this first set?! Haha You have to be kidding. I was seriously considering these but unless this BD set is ridiculously cheap, there's no way this is going to happen. Even with the original English audio (which is confirmed now), there's no way I'm going to buy over nearly 17 sets for a show that I'm most likely never going to watch again, front to back.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I really only need the Original DBZ for the Buu Saga, since I'll be getting Kai for everything else.
And I don't care about sound or image quality or whatever else, the cheap-ass Orange Boxes are just fine for me. I'm mainly here for the nostalgia, over-dramatic hilarity and snark-value.
Though I'm amused by how many are angry that Funi are releasing yet another round of DBZ sets. It's their cash cow, did you ever think they'd stop?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
I really only need the Original DBZ for the Buu Saga, since I'll be getting Kai for everything else.
And I don't care about sound or image quality or whatever else, the cheap-ass Orange Boxes are just fine for me. I'm mainly here for the nostalgia, over-dramatic hilarity and snark-value.
Though I'm amused by how many are angry that Funi are releasing yet another round of DBZ sets. It's their cash cow, did you ever think they'd stop?

It's anime fans, they find every little thing to yell about. I mean DBZ was not even that good of a show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
More Dragon Ball Z releases? Good gawd.

Let's see here, those VHS's, 87 DVD singles, edited DVD's, those "Orange Brick" Season Sets, the Dragon Boxes, and now "remastered" Blu-Rays? Laughing

I doubt FUNimation Entertainment this time will do a good remastering. If it's anything like the "Orange Bricks", we can expect bad things.

Also, I wonder how many parts this will be.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Oh yeah, I can't wait for some second party to work their "magic" in messing with the color in DBZ. I'm sure it'll be as awesome as the "Remastered" version they did on DVD.

You do know you can just stick with the Dragon Boxes if you've already been buying them and save yourself the trouble of complaining about this release like everyone else here has been doing, right?
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

It's anime fans, they find every little thing to yell about. I mean DBZ was not even that good of a show.

Of course it wasn't, but my god is it hysterical to watch 10 years after being a huge fan of it on Cartoon Network. The over-wrought drama and outstanding levels of silly are incredibly enjoyable if you watch it in the right mood.
Oh right, Anime fans. Forgot about that.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
To be able to see the remastered version in Blu-Ray does sound quite cool actually. I recently watched the remastered version and saw some of the Dragon Box set episodes, although I am excited to be able to see Dragon Ball Z in Blu-ray.

There still isn't a massive amount of anime shows in Blu-Ray yet, so I am looking forward to watching this.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
If they redub it with the Kai voice cast, then I'll totally fork over some cash on this. If not, I'll just stick with my Dragon Boxes.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt they'll redub it.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
The Dragon Boxes are about to be finished. Time for the next set of releases for DBZ!

So true. Anime smile
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
What an awful panel. Another DBZ rehash is their "big" announcement? And who wants to buy Z when the much superior Kai is already on Blu-ray?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6