• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Puts Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray Disc This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus Carr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
Very cool, but I'll wait for the inevitable box sets. Should've happened instead of Kai in the first place.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Great Job Funimation now all you need to do is release the first Fullmetal Alchemist series on Bluray and I'll be a happy man.

Man would I love a BD set of the first FMA.

It wouldn't look that great since I'm fairly certain the original FMA was digitally animated at standard definition.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Tsukento wrote:

You do know that when FUNi first started promoting the orange bricks they faked a lot of the "poor quality" footage to make their remasters look better, right?

Not to mention the article says the exact same guy involved with those is involved with this release. So go fig.

It is not 2007 now and the Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Ray trailer was legit. It's reasonable to wait and see what happens.
Even though it may be premature to judge, that's not really a relevant example. YYH's masters were based on an already existing Blu-ray release from Japan. DBZ in its original state has not yet been remastered for HD in Japan. When Toei created DBKai, they just remastered specific film reels and not the whole series.

Regarding the press release, Funimation also claimed back when they did their earlier remaster that it was in HD as well. I can see why some have their suspicions.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
How many time is Funimation going to do this its just stupid this set doesnt even have near as many episodes as the DragonBoxes or the orange brick sets.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
...ya know what??

This sums it up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Umino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
This series will be milked for years to come. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

I wish FUNimation would use their time to license older titles instead of something that has been greatly available for a long time now :/. There's still many '80s/'90s titles that could use more exposure.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
But then again, it's the original Japanese score they're gonna put. And the Japanese version of DBZ SUCKS!!! Goku's voice never matured, the fight scenes drag on and on with no background music to build up any intensity.

Hey FUNi, please put the American background music as an option.

The Japanese version is the show as intended. The American version isn't. Your favorite version of the show isn't the show at all.

But whatever. Even though this is a huge step down in quality from the Dragon Boxes, the more people foolish enough to buy this release, the more money Funimation has to license other things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't dislike Blu-Ray, but i'll just stick with the DVDs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Just wait for the re-re-remastered Dragon Orange Ultimate Uncut HD-BluLaserVDs.

Seriously, now that we have the BluRays, isn't that it? What else can they possibly do to milk it? The next format isn't even on the horizon, and likely won't even be physical.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm perfectly content with the "Remastered" sets of the original DragonBall and Z. So many episodes for so cheap, I bought each set for like 15-20 bucks each at Wal-Mart. I don't care if the picture is slightly cropped, I got every episode of the entire series completely uncut and in Japanese without spending an arm and a leg. I'm sure purists hate it, but I don't really care, DBZ is DBZ to me.

Although I do admit I wish I waited for the Dragon Boxes... that Amazon deal from last week looked pretty good, but whatever, too late, and they don't have a Dragon Box for the original series or the movies yet either I think...

But yeah... lol @ a Blu-Ray release of Z with 17 episodes per disc. That's hilarious. Not as hilarious as 3 episodes per disc, but still, for DBZ's length, they should of included more than that.

Then again, I've yet to buy any anime on blu-ray, too expensive, dvd's are just cheaper, although finding out of print series like City Hunter is a bitch.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
I don't care if the picture is slightly cropped, I got every episode of the entire series completely uncut and in Japanese without spending an arm and a leg. I'm sure purists hate it, but I don't really care, DBZ is DBZ to me.

I'd argue that 25% of the frame is anything but "slight", but you've still hit the nail on the head: The reason those sets sold like hotcakes is because most people paid less than a dollar an episode. They could have been from analog broadcast masters and people would still have jumped at the chance - I would have, but FUNi's smoke 'n' mirrors marketing about how cropping the show was actually a positive thing just pissed me off to the point where I said "screw it, I'll wait".

Lo and behold, the Dragon Boxes are finally here and I couldn't be happier. And I hate buying DVDs when I can buy most any anime Blu-ray for about $5 more, and have turned down a few shows specifically because I don't love them enough to bother with a DVD anymore. The Dragon Boxes are the last exception I'm willing to make, and the news slowly filtering out about this release only makes me feel better for having made that decision.

The press release mentions nothing about this being a "New Scan" or "In the original 4:3 aspect ratio", it just rehashes all the info about their 2006 remaster and adds that they can "do more" with the tech now. I'm expecting this to be FUNimation's way of dumping their widescreen masters from 2006 onto Blu-ray, with a little more spit polish for the countless instances of film damage the "Remastered" sets didn't fix the first time around. This in turn would mean they can pimp a "Dragon Box Blu-ray" set in 4:3 and with original previews/credits once Toei gets around to restoring the whole show themselves down the line. The milking of this show is actually more prolonged than any of the battles therein. FUNimation, I'm truly impressed. Very Happy

Honestly, I can't imagine they'll sell very well due to the episode count. It's one thing to sell Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood in 5 separate collections, but Dragon Ball Z would be about 17 of them. Most consumers will probably see 17 episodes for $30 or 42 episodes for $20 and cease to care wither they're on DVD or Blu-ray, and those few that do care will probably be pissed that it's FUNi's own crappy HD masters instead of a new scan from the negatives by the Japanese end. Unless they really have done a new scan and somehow forgot to mention it, this release sounds like a clumsy way to milk the dragon's teats that'll please almost no-one.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The next format isn't even on the horizon, and likely won't even be physical.

I hoping for some sort of collectible physical release of a digital good.
Dragonbox USB drives!(Read only of course)
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
But then again, it's the original Japanese score they're gonna put. And the Japanese version of DBZ SUCKS!!! Goku's voice never matured, the fight scenes drag on and on with no background music to build up any intensity.

The Japanese version is the show as intended. The American version isn't. Your favorite version of the show isn't the show at all.

Who cares? I don't care about seeing the original version as much as I like to watch the BETTER version, in this case, the American version because what you call the 'intended' one is the bad one, a 'letdown' if you will. And you're not a bigger fan for liking it more, it makes you tasteless if your sole reason for not liking any other version is that 'it's not the original'

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is a bad anime movie, because it was boring, mainly because of the music, or rather, the lack of music. But when it was dubbed into English, and the music replaced entirely, it transformed a dull movie into en epic kickass popcorn action flick.

When you watch Cowboy Bebop, the dub is clearly better as it suited the characters more so than what the original Japanese creator intended. Same applies to shows like Black Lagoon, Gundam Wing, Trigun and Outlaw Star.

So before anyone throws this 'original' or 'intended' bullcrap argument, think about the fact that

- there ARE better alternates
- original DOES NOT equal better
- The original is better ONLY if it IS genuinely better

No one seems to have a problem with the Pokemon dub despite making changes such as the names of people and places, removing Japanese writing, Americanization of the show, rearrangement of music on certain scenes and banned episodes, only one banned for a good reason. Doe the first Pokemon series suck in English now just because there's a subbed version available online now?

If you like the Japanese version more, more power to you, UNLESS the sole reason being simply because 'it's as intended' - That's called Nitpicking

What's next? Will people be mad if certain anime fans prefer to drink coke, eat chips and cake while watching anime instead of Pocky or instant noodles? I'll still be enjoying the SAME story presented in a way that's more to my liking. Don't like it? Tough luck.

Last edited by TopGunman on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
And I hate buying DVDs when I can buy most any anime Blu-ray for about $5 more, and have turned down a few shows specifically because I don't love them enough to bother with a DVD anymore.

I wish I could start an anime blu-ray collection, but my problem is... I hate today's anime, I do, I loathe it. I love anime from the 70's, 80's and 90's, and many of the series I watched as a kid still don't have a blu-ray release yet.

I'm talking about series like Lupin III, Speed Racer, City Hunter, Fist Of The North Star, Ronin Warriors, Sailor Moon, Rurouni Kenshin. I think I actually heard something about Kenshin getting a blu-ray release, but I think it was only for the OVA's and Movie. I never picked up the tv series on dvd... I'd really like to, but I got my fingers crossed for a blu-ray relase someday.

I don't think even Ninja Scroll has a blu-ray release yet, when I was a kid, that was the most hardcore anime movie ever.

Also, I am probably gonna get alot of flak for saying this, but I would totally buy Apocalypse Zero on blu-ray. That was hilarious shit.
Paradox295

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

But whatever. Even though this is a huge step down in quality from the Dragon Boxes, the more people foolish enough to buy this release, the more money Funimation has to license other things.

Nobody cares

It's the same damn show whichever way you watch it. And not a very good one at that. Seriously, dude, it's only DBZ. Why get your panties in a knot whenever someone else doesn't enjoy it "exactly how it was supposed to be seen"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6