• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime Media Platform in UK

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
GONG will be offering some of its premium Anime including original Japanese subtitled in English. Manga fans will be able to follow some of their favourite shows such as Queen's Blade, Babel II, Demon Lord Dante or Izumo.

I think whoever wrote this is just slightly disconnected from modern anime fandom......
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
Well it's a new shoot so give it a chance to grow a bit more. One has to remember they are most likely not very knowledgeable of animation from Japan and to them it's just another genre, so they will be forgiven for being a bit naive about it. The stress test will be when they show something like Ikki Tousen thinking " it's just another cartoon, what could go wrong?" Laughing
Just the fact that it's even available on our little island is a prayer answered really. Wink
sillyriri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote
Laughing
Out of the titles mentioned, I only recognised Queen's Blade; and after doing a few minutes of research, it seems that the others are relatively old, mediocre shows that were probably very cheap to buy the license for.
I'll pass until something more to my taste is offered.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gong has been sort of active in the UK for some time - those shows are all ones that are available of have been available at least in part on their YouTube channels and other sites. Some history about them:

GONG on BT
GONG on Joost
GONG App
GONG relaunch (App, youTube, GONGVision etc.)
Recent additions to YouTube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1