• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
inspirational anime quotes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:22 am Reply with quote
"Maes Hughes - Killed in Action, and promoted two ranks for it. Brigadier General Hughes. You were supposed to work under me, help to push me to the top. Now here you are surpassing me in the ranks. I don't know what's more absurd - you or the State."
- Roy Mustang, FMA. It was heart wrenching at that moment.

"I once executed two people, two doctors. "There are no sides, just patients.".. That's what they said as they treated our fallen enemies in Ishbal. But the people they were healing would just rise up again to fight us. The military asked them to stop, but they wouldn't. And their makeshift hospital was becoming a den for insurgents. I got my orders in the morning, and I shot them that night. After that I tried to kill myself, but I was too much of a coward. So I took an oath instead: to never follow unreasonable commands again, to reach a position where I wouldn't have to follow them, and I stayed true to that. I'm not chasing you because I was commanded to. I'm doing it because I'm PISSED. Now why the hell did you two run away without asking for my help first?!" - Roy Mustang, FMA. Made me love him more.

"Because ten billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral...
it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness."
- The opening to Now and Then, Here and There.

"The carnival comes and goes, but if you wait for a while it will always come back to you." Ryoko, Tenchi

"But important events, poignant moments and promises to others. These things must never be forgotten." Haruka, Love Hina.

and just because it sounds cool when he says it:

"Zannen dakedou... uragiri mono nanda yo." - Kadaj, FFVII, A.C.

That be it for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
People seem to be getting a bit off-subject here, as a lot of these quotes sound more like favorites than inspirational picks. (I also consider the previously-mentioned Scrapped Princess quote to be one of my all-time favorites from an anime, but that's more an ultimate statement of familial love and loyalty than truly inspirational.)

Here's a couple that come to mind:

"Nothing can happen until you swing the bat." (Haruko, FLCL)

"You have something that you can do, something that only you can do. Nobody is forcing you. Think for yourself, and make that decision by yourself. Think about what you have to do now. Think about no longer having any regrets." (Kaji to Shinji, Neon Genesis Evangelion)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Yuzuyu, Aishiteruze Baby wrote:
I like corm.

But seriously...

"God knows I'm not perfect, either. I've made tons of stupid mistakes, and later I regretted them. And I've done it over and over again, thousands of times; a cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred. But even so, every time I learned something about myself." -- Misato, Evangelion

I don't know if this counts as "inspirational," but it struck a chord with me for some reason:

"I know all about your little jerk-off fantasies about me. Go ahead, and do it like you always do. I'll even stand here and watch you. But if I can't have you all to myself, then I don't want anything from you." -- Asuka, Evangelion (Heh, if this is for a Sunday School class or something like that, this one probably wouldn't be a very appropriate choice...)

The “snow becomes spring when it melts” conversation from Fruits Basket is another great one, but I can’t remember exactly what was said and I’m too lazy to go look it up.
Zero89

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Eva - Kenzo... (while sleeping)
Just kill me! (echo from a previous statement)
Martin - I won't act according to the devil's script, because... no one wants to die...
--- Monster

The depth of this quote still leaves me in awe when I think about it... No one, not even a suicidal dead-beat really wishes for death; instead, they've just given up on rebuilding their lives... I'm sure they'd much rather be living happily ever after than rotting 6 feet underground...
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
These are all quotes from what I think is the most inspirational part of the Hidden Mist Village arc in Naruto:

"Live your life so that you'll have no regrets. No matter how hard, no matter how sad, if something is precious to you, protect it with both arms."

- Kaiza, Inari's father.

"Look at you, whining and complaining, like some sort of baby! If your going to cry, then cry forever for all I care you coward!"

-Naruto

"My guess is that he got tired of crying, and decided to do something about it. What Naruto said, as cruel as it sounded, I'll bet he's said that to himself a thousand times. Even though he's young and still learning, he know's what it means to be strong, like your father did."

-Kakashi

I know I know a ton of other Naruto quotes, I just need to see if I can find more of them. In the mean time here are a couple of other quotes:

"If I was in your shoes and I knew the law was unjust, I would do everything in my power to fight against it."

-Ichigo from Bleach

"You see Gohan, it is not enough to just simply posses the power. You must have heart and cunning too."

-Piccolo from DBZ

"You've got a pair of strong legs, Rose. You should get up and use 'em!"

-Ed from FMA
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
My favourite quote from Naruto:

"If that's what it means to be wise, I guess that means I'll be fool all my life" - Naruto, after Jiraiya has told him to wise up and give up on his friend.
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:

"If that's what it means to be wise, I guess that means I'll be fool all my life" - Naruto, after Jiraiya has told him to wise up and give up on his friend.

Hah! Other than the Zabuza arc, that was the greatest.

"On that day, you taught me that solitude is painful! I understand that so well right now. I have family, and I have friends but if you're gone... To me... It will be the same as being alone." Sakura from Naruto

""The weaker you are the louder you bark." Tenten from Naruto

"There's no meaning to a flower unless it blooms." Ino from Naruto

"There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you." Orichimaru from Naruto

"A dropout will beat a genius through hard work." Rock Lee from Naruto
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
"anyone can die. it's living that requires courage." Kenshin, preventing a defeated henchman from killing himself, 'Ruroni Kenshin'

"you have to learn to walk along the edge of my blade" Sai to Hikaru, 'Hikaru no Go' (part of a lesson in taking the initiative in Go)

"I can like myself for who I am" Shinji Ikari, ep. 26, 'Neon Genesis Evangelion'
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:

"On that day, you taught me that solitude is painful! I understand that so well right now. I have family, and I have friends but if you're gone... To me... It will be the same as being alone." Sakura from Naruto

I was trying to remember what the exact quotes in both of those scenes were. Thanks for reminding me. They are both very good ones.

Quote:

"A dropout will beat a genius through hard work." Rock Lee from Naruto

There's no meaning to a flower unless it blooms." Ino from Naruto

Duh! Rolling Eyes Those one's should have been no brainers. I don't know why I forgot to put them on there.

Here's a few more Inspirational Naruto quotes:

"Those in the ninja world who break the rules and regulations are called filth, but those who don't care about their companions... are even lower than filth."

-Kakashi, actually quoting Obito from Kakashi Gaiden.

"When a person dies; he disappears, along with his past, current lifestyle and his future. Many people die in missions and wars, they die easily and in surprisingly simple ways. Hayate was one of them. Those who died had hopes and dreams, but everyone has something as important as those: Parents, siblings, friends, lovers; people who are important to you, they trust and help each other. The bond between the people important to you ever since birth and the string that binds them becomes thicker and stronger as time goes by..It's beyond reason. Those bound to you by that string will do that because it is important."

-Iruka at spoiler[Third Hokage's Funeral]

"It's true that I dont' know anything about parents or siblings, but When I'm with Iruka-sensei, I wonder...if this is what it's like having a dad...and when I'm with you... if this is what it's like to have a brother."

- Naruto when talking to Sasuke about being his best friend at the Valley of the End

"In this village, every year many Shinobi are born, grow up, live and fight, and they live for this village and their precious people. Even if there's no blood relation, they're very precious family for me. I won't let you do whatever you wish to my family."

-Third Hokage

"Hokage Fire wil be aflame where the leaves dance. The shadow of the fire will light the village and the leaves will sprout once again."

-also Third Hokage

I also went back to look at some of the translations of the closing credit songs and quote two of the most inspirational songs, in my opinion, in the entire series.

"Cultivate your hunger before you idealize. Modivate your anger to make them all realize. Climbing the mountain. Never coming down? Break into the contents, never falling down... Don't try to live so wise. Don't cry 'because you're so right. Don't dry with fakes or fears 'because you will hate yourself in the end."

-Wind by Akeboshi (1st ending song)

"Everyone makes mistakes, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Don't let this mistake go to waste. Be able to smile as you walk... Turn your sadness into wind, and just be able to keep moving forward."

-Alive by Raiko (4th ending song)

This last one in particular, mostly because I love the scene that goes with it. It only shows one shot, but a very inspirational shot with Naruto standing on top of a building, staring at the Hokage mountain faces. I have to say, it really added to the inspirational effect to the series. (which is why I'm kind of dissapointed that the dub version left out the original credits)
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
"Everyone makes mistakes, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Don't let this mistake go to waste. Be able to smile as you walk... Turn your sadness into wind, and just be able to keep moving forward."

If OPs/EDs count, then I have another one from Naruto, Kanashimi wo yasashisa ni, the 3rd OP from little by little.

sousa kanashimi wo yasashisa ni
jibun rashisa wo chikara ni
mayoinagarademo ii arukidashite
mou ikkai mou ikkai

turning sadness into kindness
your uniqueness into strength
it's okay to get lost so begin walking
once again, once again

This was actually really inspirational in real life - I was watching this at the same time my mom was diagnosed with cancer and I was trying to cope with the though of her not being there for me anymore. And these words truly resonated with me and gave me strength to turn my sadness into something more powerful and positive. And just to take it step at a time, trying not to look ahead too much because there was no way I would know if she would even survive the year. It still remains my favorite Naruto OP to this day.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:

If OPs/EDs count, then I have another one from Naruto, Kanashimi wo yasashisa ni, the 3rd OP from little by little.

sousa kanashimi wo yasashisa ni
jibun rashisa wo chikara ni
mayoinagarademo ii arukidashite
mou ikkai mou ikkai

turning sadness into kindness
your uniqueness into strength
it's okay to get lost so begin walking
once again, once again

This was actually really inspirational in real life - I was watching this at the same time my mom was diagnosed with cancer and I was trying to cope with the though of her not being there for me anymore. And these words truly resonated with me and gave me strength to turn my sadness into something more powerful and positive. And just to take it step at a time, trying not to look ahead too much because there was no way I would know if she would even survive the year. It still remains my favorite Naruto OP to this day.

I just recently went to YouTube to revisit that one, and I just remembered how inspirational that one was as well. I think it is awesome how inspirational that series is that just watching the OPs/EDs can inspire you that much.

I had a similar experience with both the series at that time and the 4th ED that I quoted to the experience you had. The situation was a little different for me, though. I was having some self-confidence issues at the time for reasons I'd rather not go into, and I was also experiencing some inferiority complexes as well. Overall, I must say I have a lot in common with Naruto, having a hard life for most of the same reasons. (I actually do have a really good family, but other than that...) And for the same reasons you mentioned, it was actually that 4th ED that became my all time favorite, because it helped me put the past behind me and use the pain and sadness that I felt to become a better person, to become stronger, and be able to, as it says, "smile as you walk," and "keep moving forward."

Now back to the original topic:

"I am the awnser to the cries of the innocent, to those who yearn for peace. I am hope. ALLY TO GOOD!!! NIGHTMARE TO YOU!!!"

-Goku from DBZ, answering Freeza when he asked out of fear of his power, "WHAT ARE YOU!!!"

"If I have the power to make a differencen why not put it to good use?"

- Kira Yamito from Gundam Seed

"You know why big brothers are born first? To protect the little ones that come after them."

- Ichigo from Bleach

"Oh, man, Quatre loves to blame himself for everything if you let him. Sooner or later, he'll start saying that there's no air in space because he didn't work on it hard enough."

- Duo Maxwell from Gundam Wing
sakurasyaoran4eva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
I really like this one:

"I can't do much yet, but even if I can do a little help I want to give it all I have! If a person doesn't do anything, they can never get any better. Doing one little thing, taking one step foward...I gotta believe it will help build a better future!" -Sakura, Tsubasa Chronicle Manga #4
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
FMA (again):
"Roy - it's starting to rain
Riza - but there's not a cloud in the sky
Roy- no, it's raining"

spoken as he cries after spoiler[Hughes'] funeral
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
My favourite quote from Naruto is "Believe it!"

Joking, theres no real quotes that stick to me from any series. If anything simple lines like "I'm Sorry" mean a lot to me in any series depending the situation of the characters or of the surrounding events. Seeing as I can't remember a quote there is none that really sticks out. You know its the simple words that count.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
My favourite quote from Naruto is "Believe it!"

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

You don't say Rolling Eyes Anime hyper

Another quote that inspired me:

"With this leg, I will give my father a decent tomb" -Hyuga Kojiro (Captain Tsubasa)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3