• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Oricon Poll: Live-Action Manga Adaptations That Worked

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stowrag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
aww... no Liar Game?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that Gokusen isn't in the top 3. I remember that pulled in ridiculous ratings for a decent number of seasons.

Really not surprised by Nodame and HYD being the top 2 though, as they would probably be my favorites as well.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Whoever says that manga doesn't work in live-action has clearly only ever seen Dragonball Evolution...

Definite agree with this list; I can think of a lot of honorable mentions!

stowrag wrote:
aww... no Liar Game?

Ditto on that! As much as I love the manga, I think the drama is a rare occasion where the drama actually exceeds the manga-- it's so visually interesting.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion GTO should have been higher. I was a fan of that show.
Akukame

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
In my opinion GTO should have been higher. I was a fan of that show.

I really have to agree. But, its dated now, and sadly, more recent things always score higher in polls. I mean, its the oldest one on that list and by quite a few years. GTO ended in 1998. Compare that to the top 2. Nodame's final movie was 2010. Hana Yori Dango ended 2007.

The only exception I think is Kindaichi Case Files. But, if you count the tv special for Kindaichi Case Files from 2005, AFAIK, GTO has 5 years on everything on the list.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Gokusen is no surprise, the LA TV shows pretty much eclipsed the anime adaption.
xyz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I strongly agree with Nodame Cantabile being the top choice but I don't know about the rest. I don't like all the HYD live actions. Jin is a terrible adaptation. As for the others, I didn't pay much attention.
treatment

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
hmmm.

no Lone Wolf and Cub.

prolly not even listed in Oricon's title-survey to choose from...
charpkun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Oricon polls gather surveys from the mainstream, so they may be less critical of the faithfulness and go more for the entertainment value.

And HYD being adapted to live action in at least 3 different countries is a testament to its universal appeal. (The plot in some ways is very similar to conflicts found in telenovelas)
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen 4 of these (Nodame, HYD, GTO, & Gokusen) and enjoyed them all enough to watch them at least twice-- once by myself and once with a friend. I'm kinda surprised that Kimi wa Petto (Tokyopop released the manga over here as Tramps Like Us) didn't make it. It stars MatsuJun, the male lead of both HYD & Gokusen so it's not some obscure little show. Being of 2003 vintage though I suppose it's considered an "old" drama now... Laughing

P.S. Also wondering about the omission of Hana-Kimi. That was a hoot (although maybe more as a stand-alone work and not so much as an adaptation?).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Whoever says that manga doesn't work in live-action has clearly only ever seen Dragonball Evolution...
Clearly works in Japan. Outside of there remains to be seen. and I don't mean just an English dub of the Japanese, but a completely foreign production. Wink
sacchan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
xyz wrote:
I strongly agree with Nodame Cantabile being the top choice but I don't know about the rest. I don't like all the HYD live actions. Jin is a terrible adaptation. As for the others, I didn't pay much attention.

In what way was JIN a terrible adaptation?
I think it was a great drama. It made some changes from the original manga but it was pretty faithful for the most part, considering that it's an adaptation.

The two seasons of JIN was voted the No. 1 drama that Japanese people want to hand down to the next generation (JIN was voted No.1 overall and also No.1 in every age group surveyed).
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
minakichan wrote:
Clearly works in Japan. Outside of there remains to be seen. and I don't mean just an English dub of the Japanese, but a completely foreign production. Wink
I think minakichan means that when people yell about how "live-action adaptions all suck," they should be saying, "live-action adaptations of special effects-heavy shonen series suck" because that's usually what they're referring to. Most of them are not familiar with television dramas which can do pretty well by their source material, especially with josei & seinen adaptations that don't involve superpowers/giant robots, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1