• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi - oh wow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I was at my local comic shop on Saturday, looking for Flower of Life (Fumi Yoshinaga's latest - it's lovely) when I saw Mushishi on the new arrivals section and since the anime has been hyped so much around here I picked it up without thinking about it too much. Well, that and the fact that the cover made me think of Tony K. Wink

I started reading yesterday while ironing (don't ask) and before I noticed it, I had stopped, was sitting down crying. Yes, the first story made me cry... it's not that unusual for me to cry when reading but usually it's after several volumes when I know and love the characters and I'm deeply involved in the storyline - never has a story gripped me so powerfully from the first pages and had me in tears within 50 or so.

At first I though the drawing style was kinda rough, but then I got drawn into how sensitive and expressive it is... The stories and atmosphere are pure magic, the characters sweet and touching. The mushi themselves are eerie but beautiful. And I'm totally in love with Ginko...

All I can say is... wow.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear you like it so far Very Happy! I've been wanting to check out the manga as well, but am a little strapped for money right now, limiting purchases only to LE DVDs and such.

But just to give you a brief overview of the franchise, Mushishi is an episodic series composed of short stories about Ginko and his expereinces with Mushi and the people affected by their presence. From what I've seen and observed in the anime, there are a number of ways you can interpret a lot of the stories.

For some, it might be tales of character or morals. For others, it might be the sheer enjoyment of seeing such fantastic atmospheres of the exotic settings and mysterious Mushi. But the fact of the matter is that the storytelling in itself is the true strength.

Judging from your reaction alone, it's evident that the style is very effective. And if you think it's great just through manga, you will love the anime. Production values are high, and I have a feeling you'll especially enjoy the music accompanied by some lush colors and artistry creating a very unique and mystical world incomparable to anything I've seen in anime. I can't say enough about the franchise, and I'm glad you've decided to check it out.
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The weird thing is that I don't usually like episodic manga or anime that much, to hold my interest in the long run it needs to have an in-depth story arc in addition to interesting characters and meaningful relationships. But at least in the first volume of Mushishi the stories stood on their own, (even the guest) characters were multi-dimensional with real emotions. This is very rare indeed.

And I forgot to say - I love the fact that Del Ray has published this, even if it means it's on the expensive side. Quality of the paper is excellent, print good, translation is authentic (with mushi names in Japanese, with footnotes on translations for them), honorifics left intact and extensive cultural references explained in the back. Superbly beautiful cover, too.

Now I'm starting to get really hyped about the anime... Summer 2007, hurry up already.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Usually, I get through a graphic novel rather quickly. Not so with Mushishi. I was surprised at the amount of time I spent on each page. I couldn't get enough of it. Every detail , every word, I wanted to completely absorb it all. The depth and the care put into crafting each story was mind- blowing. It was so hauntingly beautiful. Nothing that I've read so far this year even comes close to its brilliance.

kolibri wrote:

At first I though the drawing style was kinda rough, but then I got drawn into how sensitive and expressive it is... The stories and atmosphere are pure magic, the characters sweet and touching. The mushi themselves are eerie but beautiful. And I'm totally in love with Ginko...

All I can say is... wow.

So true. The second chapter/story had me feeling like I was in a snowy mountain village. I've never read a manga where the atmosphere and setting felt so realistic and purposeful. And I too am completely in love with Ginko. He's subtle and often times indifferent yet one of the most captivating characters I've come across in a long time.

kolibri wrote:
Now I'm starting to get really hyped about the anime... Summer 2007, hurry up already.

It's going to be a very long Spring.
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
The second chapter/story had me feeling like I was in a snowy mountain village. I've never read a manga where the atmosphere and setting felt so realistic and purposeful.

Totally. I know snow, and I've never before seen anything on print or film capture that feeling of a snowbound quiet forest quite like that. It's a very special atmosphere where sounds are completely muffled - but like Ginko says they don't disappear. You can start to hear the sound of snow falling, the forest breathing, your own breath. Breathtaking.
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
My copy is supposed to arrive today. I can't wait.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Ha, glad to see another one pick up Mushishi, this time in manga form. I definitely agree that it's one of the greatest fantastical manga around, and Del Rey did an absolutely superb job on it, the odd choice of displaying the title aside.

Still, despite how great the first volume is, my favorite stories in Mushishi are found, for the most part, in volumes two and (from what I've seen as the manga as I've yet to read them in manga form) three. Some of the more emotionally touching and subtle moments in the series can be found there, not to mention one of the more disturbing stories is in volume two as well.

And as far as the anime is considered, it can be said to be better than its manga counterpart since it is accompanied by, as Tony K. already described, lush colors and a wonderful soundtrack. I'm only sticking with the manga, though, since it goes beyond the anime in terms of story (the anime ends at the first chapter of volume six) and it's more "economical" for me.

Again, glad to see more people getting into it.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And as far as the anime is considered, it can be said to be better than its manga counterpart since it is accompanied by, as Tony K. already described, lush colors and a wonderful soundtrack. I'm only sticking with the manga, though, since it goes beyond the anime in terms of story (the anime ends at the first chapter of volume six) and it's more "economical" for me.

Yep, its pretty rare for an anime to surpase the manga, but I think Mushishi pulls it off thanks to the pitch-perfect score and great direction that really lends to the emotional impact of most stories (I usually don't even bother to follow adaptations of manga I read unless I hear really great things). I appriciate the format as well, and the translation is pretty solid by today's standards.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
I picked up Mushishi yesterday and it's beautiful. I really love vignettes and each story is carefully weaved with beauty. My favorite story is the one with the girl who had mushi in her eyes, it was disturbing but very poignant. I love the simple artwork and the great use of watercolors. Did anyone notice that Ginko is the only person who wears modern clothes, while the rest wear traditional Japanese wear?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Did anyone notice that Ginko is the only person who wears modern clothes, while the rest wear traditional Japanese wear?

The purpose of that is to differentiate him from everyone else. I mean, the pale face, white hair, and green eye should be different enough, but I think it's great in how the author tries to accentuate this theme as much as possible. It only adds to the mysterious and supernatural atmosphere of what Mushi are, who Ginko is, and in my opinion, is a very subtle, yet impactful trait (like many of the stories).
coffee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Just got my copy in the mail today, and I'm in love. Beautiful artwork, and the original story (I saw the anime first) is still fun to go through after already seeing a good portion of it. I was kind of shocked to see how young Ginko looks in the manga, as well as being perpetually barefoot as compared to his anime adaption. I do like the "older" look more though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quote
Mushishi captivated me. I loved the art, not quite what I'd call great, but for the content it's presenting, I'd say its perfect. I'm not quite sure how I'd describe it, it almost has a... Mystical, sort of ethereal feeling that she creates with her art.

I don't tend to like a episodic manga, but this works very well. She ties it all together with the mushi and Ginko very well, and I can get into it. My favorite was The Light Beneath the Eyes. It intrigued me, and it had the feeling of a modern myth, something I thought this manga did, and made me love it.
cerulean88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:25 am Reply with quote
i loved the anime and am looking forward to get my own copies of the manga soon. I borrowed the first volume from my friend and the first thing i noticed was how much skinnier Ginko was rather than in the anime =p The plot and the interactions of Ginko and the mushi's, especially how each mushi is always different and everything, is so interesting and captivating that it always leaves you wanting more Very Happy And yes i must say that the artwork is really really awesome =)

I'm looking forward for the release of the live-action movie and i'm sure that many of you are having doubts about this, of how they might just mess everything up but i'm really looking forward to watch this just because Aoi Yuu is in it =p
otaku777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
I really love this book does anyone know when the anime's gonna come to america if ever?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a few epsiodes of the anime and have recently picked up volume one of the manga, and I have to say I absolutely love Mushishi. For some reason, I'm really drawn to the manga's different art style. The TV series is an absolute anime masterpiece, as well as the darkly beautiful soundtrack. The story itself is rather inspirational. The idea and essence of mushi really make you wonder about the reasons for and existence of some things--the thought of them is almost frightening.

otaku777 wrote:
I really love this book does anyone know when the anime's gonna come to america if ever?

It's definitely been licensed by FUNi, so hopefully we'll see it in stores soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2