• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter TV Anime Series Confirmed for This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, that just made my year.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Woah this is freaking awesome! I can not wait HxH is one of my all time favorite shonen series!!!
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I really loved the TV series and first OVA. I never got around to watching GI. Guess I'll have to get busy.

Can't wait to find out more info.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
While this is fantastic news, it also sucks that it's likely never to be licensed.

I wonder how well the anime sold? Viz DID publish the whole series and we know how notorious they are for dropping titles mid-stream if the numbers are poor. But I agree that it isn't a good sign that neither they nor anyone else licensed the Greed Island OVAs.

This might be a silly question, but does Viz necessarily "get" the rights to this new season? Or is there the small chance that let's say Section 23 could pick it up? It seems like Viz is pretty chummy with the Weekly Shonen Jump titles so I'm guessing they might try to pick up the series for a simulcast?

I'm very, very happy that I will get to see more of Gon and the crew, but I'm bummed that Viz will probably get first dibs on the show.

Edited to reflect the fact that Viz never acquired the Greed Island license.

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
xScar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

This might be a silly question, but does Viz necessarily have the rights to this new season? Or is there the small chance that let's say Section 23 could pick it up? It seems like Viz is pretty chummy with the Weekly Shonen Jump titles so I'm guessing they have the rights but won't do anything except maybe simulcast the show.

I'm very, very happy that I will get to see more of Gon and the crew, but I'm bummed that Viz will probably have the rights to the show.

Viz doesn't have the license to this just because they have the first TV series. They still don't even have the licenses to the OVAs (as far as the public knows). FUNimation or Sentai could easily grab this since Viz has apparently turned a blind eye to the anime since they have yet to release /any/ of the OVAs.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
[ FUNimation or Sentai could easily grab this since Viz has apparently turned a blind eye to the anime since they have yet to release /any/ of the OVAs.

Out of curiosity, are there any series that Viz started, dropped (or didn't continue to license), and then got picked up by another publisher?

Also, does anyone know why Greed Island was never released in the states then? Is it because the Viz releases had poor sales numbers or that the license was too expensive? I know American anime publishers keep a lot of things under wraps, but their are many well informed ANN posters out there.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
No question it'll be a continuation of the original series. If its not, people will riot, since they've been waiting for it to continue forever
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite happy with this news since Hunter x Hunter is one of the rare fighting shônen which I can actually enjoy.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
If it's faithful to the original manga, a reboot might make for pretty good watching...at least until they get to Greed Island and it turns into "Let's Collect Magic the Gathering Cards: The Series."
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Great news. Now if the style matches the first OVA and series I will be even more pleased.
Quote:

I'm not actually too mad that Greed Island hasn't been licensed by Viz, as it's more or less inconsequential as a whole other than meeting a few more key characters (face it, it is).

It was a really long training arc for Gon and Killua, expanded upon the greatness that is Jin, introduced new characters, progressed Lucifer's story a bit, and the GI conclusion is how the Chimera arc started. Lots of consequences for an arc that was mainly a game.

Quote:
However, this news is bitter sweat though. Given the apparent poor sales of Hunter X Hunter (anime), I don't think Viz Media will ever license this anime. Considering they haven't yet, if ever licensed the Greed Island Arc, it makes it even more unlikely.

Has there been so Viz press release I missed or is the statement that HxH(anime) sold poorly just odd guesswork?

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Out of curiosity, are there any series that Viz started, dropped (or didn't continue to license), and then got picked up by another publisher?

So far no and as for rescues, the only anime they had that have been relicensed by other companies are Galaxy Express 999 movies 1 & 2 by Discotek & the Night Warriors-Darkstalkers' Revenge OVAs by Madman in Australia.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know why Greed Island was never released in the states then? Is it because the Viz releases had poor sales numbers or that the license was too expensive? I know American anime publishers keep a lot of things under wraps, but their are many well informed ANN posters out there.

Here's your answer: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150244968058552&id=281874918551
free2slap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm also one of the people that did not expect such a news. It's even been such a long time since i watched the anime and now it's returning?! It couldn't be more beautiful. We can already declare this year, the year of hunter x hunter.
sender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Picture of Raoh death pose... i'm shedding manly tears
xScar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
If it's faithful to the original manga, a reboot might make for pretty good watching...at least until they get to Greed Island and it turns into "Let's Collect Magic the Gathering Cards: The Series."

Not sure why a reboot would be good. The original TV series followed the original manga 98%, more closely than any other shonen series I've seen/read. They added <5 episodes of filler during the Hunter Exam and switched a few sequence of events around during Heavens Arena, but outside of that, there wasn't much changed. Greed Island also had some violence toned down, but that's as much as I can think of.

The original series and OVA was done on film, even though they were from late 90's/00's. A remastering would be a better watch than any remastering. The animation in the original was gorgeous, like most Nippon Animation stuff.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for the OVAs to be English Dubbed.....as for this new TV Series, I'll probably wait for it to be dubbed too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5