• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Kai Blu-Ray part 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sun Goku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Why the hell does DB or DBZ or DBGT or even DBKAI gets rated so low??? Gt only gets rated slighlt...SLIGHTLY high....which even a kid would know its sarcastic...DAMN these guys specifically Theron Martin...and the others....DEATH NOTE and HARUHi and BLEACH gets rated so high.....they even say that other shounen series copycated as well as exploited DBZ....still...shit these guys for rating DB low..DAMN BASTARDS...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
Sun Goku wrote:
Why the hell does DB or DBZ or DBGT or even DBKAI gets rated so low??? Gt only gets rated slighlt...SLIGHTLY high....which even a kid would know its sarcastic...DAMN these guys specifically Theron Martin...and the others....DEATH NOTE and HARUHi and BLEACH gets rated so high.....they even say that other shounen series copycated as well as exploited DBZ....still...shit these guys for rating DB low..DAMN BASTARDS...

Regardless of what you may think about reviewers' opinions, there is no call for calling them "damn bastards." Such insults will not be tolerated around here.

As for why DB/DBZ gets ratings so low compared to the other series you mentioned? That's because DBZ, even though it was a major standard-setter, was still pretty basic in its story, also set the standard for horribly dragging things out, never had an impressive musical score, and is not particularly inspired in its artistry. DBZ is still king when it comes to hyper-powered battles, but in every other aspect it's been improved upon by series that followed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...also set the standard for horribly dragging things out... DBZ is still king when it comes to hyper-powered battles, but in every other aspect it's been improved upon by series that followed.

I take umbrage at this. Filler comes in two forms; entire episodes or even seasons of filler, and filler inserted inside episodes that otherwise have canon material.

Regarding the first, Dragonball Z never had blocks of filler episodes as anywhere near as long as the infamous block at the end of Naruto. Even Bleach's filler arcs are longer than the Garlic Jnr Saga, sometimes by three to four hundred percent.

Regarding the second version of filler, well as you say DBZ did set the standard for inserting filler into canon episodes or stretching the episodes out with long pans and the like. However, Bleach got worse. When the first five minutes and the last four minutes of almost every episode is either recap, OPs and EDS and omakes - as in, when a full third of the episode isn't even the show itself - then DBZ looks positively fast by comparison.

Also, from the time spoiler[Trunks went back into the future till Kid Buu's death,] that was ninety-three episodes, and includes the entirety of spoiler[the teen Gohan arc, both of the Martial Arts Tournaments and of course the Buu Saga.] The spoiler[Hueco Mundo/Arrancar/Aizen] arcs of Bleach combine to form approximately spoiler[143 episodes, and that's not including The New Captain Shūsuke Amagai or the Zanpakutō: The Alternate Tale filler arcs, which combined would add another fifty-eight episodes to the total.]

It just annoys me when people think of DBZ as being the absolute worst in terms of padding when in fact it merely inspired its successors to be even worse.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I can't buy an adult Goku who sounds like a girl

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It just annoys me when people think of DBZ as being the absolute worst in terms of padding when in fact it merely inspired its successors to be even worse.

Um, except in terms of actual padding during the canon arcs (AKA "the stuff you actually need to watch"), DBZ is one of the, if not the, "worst". Naruto and Bleach's filler is generally irrelevant (except for some of Shippuden's filler which intertwines a few canon parts, but generally those filler arcs have been better received compared to Part 1's filler arcs) as they are completely skippable. I can't really sympathize with those who did watch the entire filler-thon that concluded Part 1, because I'm going to assume they did so of their own free will and the logical thought is, "um, wouldn't it better to watch OTHER ANIME and just wait for Naruto to get back to the canon stuff?" Filler arcs are mostly skippable, so watch at your own risk and don't act like you had to. Though for the record, I think most of DBZ's filler arcs/episodes were pretty good (one of the reasons I have no interest in Kai).

How they handle the canon material's pacing is generally far better than most of DBZ. Good god, in the first 63 (61 if you remove the two filler episodes) episodes of Bleach, they cover about 200 chapters of the manga! You act like the covering of the other arcs was ridiculous, but those arcs were REALLY long in the manga as well. Yes, the pacing definitely got slower, but certainly not as slow as DBZ got a good deal of the time (though granted, even DBZ's lowest point, the Buu Saga, didn't suck as much compared to those arcs in Bleach).

I don't really consider recaps to be a problem. If anything, I encourage them, as it allows better pacing for the rest of the episode. For anyone who does have issues with recaps, I assume they've never noticed the fast-forward button on their remote.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
The recaps and omakes are certainly bad in Bleach. You say hit the fast forward button, but if I'm paying for the DVDs (and back in the day I bought the entire Soul Society Arc on singles, NOT boxsets) then I do not expect to have to skip a third of the actual show. I mean, the DVDs aren't a third cheaper to compensate, right?

I dropped the Bount Arc because I couldn't stand the horrible writing, but I dropped the entire show altogether after realising that the canon material was often worse than the filler arcs.

doctordoom85 wrote:
How they handle the canon material's pacing is generally far better than most of DBZ. Good god, in the first 63 (61 if you remove the two filler episodes) episodes of Bleach, they cover about 200 chapters of the manga! You act like the covering of the other arcs was ridiculous, but those arcs were REALLY long in the manga as well.

Just because the Manga was padded out in later arcs doesn't mean the Anime has to be either. The Soul Society Arc is generally regarded to be the best that Bleach has to offer, and part of the reason is because both the Manga-ka and the animation studio did a minimum of stuffing around.

I just think it is unfair to pick on Dragonball Z when later shows not only make the exact same mistakes, but do it worse. If you can't see that then I don't know what I can say to convince you.

Anyway, although Dragon Ball Kai wasn't very successful I still applaud what the show tried to achieve. It knew the fat was bad - everyone did - and it cut it out. Yes, it didn't do so very well, but the intentions were good. It is a lesson that newer shows have yet to learn.
Sun Goku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Regardless of whether insults for calling the rightly bastards as bastards of not being tolerated is nonsense.. Well Yeah..the recent anime's are REALLY complex in their stories/plots whatsoever..BS..the recent anime's are just a bunch of losers with Love and relationships..and this..and that...dragging out problems like HELL with OTHER VARIOUS SHONEN series out there..Heh..never had an impressive musical scores..plain silly man!! It has nostalgic scores with interesting varieties of epic musical scores by Shunsuke Kikuchi..wonderful voice acting, impoving animations/artwork..compare the Cell saga and Buu Saga to the recent anime's like Bleach..or even Death note..those shows are rubbish..with low details and sophistications..excellent characterizations..interesting plots, Saiyan Saga, Namek & frieza saga, Android Saga, Cell Saga, Buu Saga..DBZ's always has a great plot/storyline....just some rubbish reviewers are talkinh & posting shits here...tarnishin DBZ's name..dumb bastards

Regardless of what you may think about reviewers' opinions, there is no call for calling them "damn bastards." Such insults will not be tolerated around here.

As for why DB/DBZ gets ratings so low compared to the other series you mentioned? That's because DBZ, even though it was a major standard-setter, was still pretty basic in its story, also set the standard for horribly dragging things out, never had an impressive musical score, and is not particularly inspired in its artistry. DBZ is still king when it comes to hyper-powered battles, but in every other aspect it's been improved upon by series that followed.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2