• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Subscriptions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Not to sound rude or anything, but isn't this knowledge pretty common? Long before I even became a subscriber I knew about this.

The first course of action I took when I became a subscriber several months ago was turn off all the ads.

That same day I analyzed every benefit and bonus being a subscriber had. I won't give specific details, but needless to say I not only extended my subscriber status, but was also quite impressed.

Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, nor do I wish too, but when ever I am about to make a decision with money, I make sure I know what I am getting into and read the fine print listing all the benefits and such.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Not to sound rude or anything, but isn't this knowledge pretty common? Long before I even became a subscriber I knew about this.

Yeah, but very few of our readers clock in anywhere near as much time on this site as you do. Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Yeah, but very few of our readers clock in anywhere near as much time on this site as you do. Wink

You may have a point there and thank you very much also. Very Happy
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I actually keep most of the ads on (other then those yucky double underline links) because I might miss a good deal on some anime otherwise. Though I am glad it is set up to so you can turn off each kind of add and not just all of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
QuinnM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't everyone use Firefox + AdBlock these days?

...I haven't seen adverts on the internet in years. :s

Edit: (AdBlock also works on video too! ...unlike paying for a subscription according to the subscription page)

Last edited by QuinnM on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
acadia2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Haha, no. I like the Funimation one selling the Spice & Wolf DVD's. Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
QuinnM wrote:

...I haven't seen adverts on the internet in years. :s

While I do use Firefox (in fact it's my default browser) although Adblock seems to be much better now than in the past, I normally don't really care about ads for the most part.

I'd like to say there is a interesting story on why this site is different than the rest, but truth be told, there isn't. I just like the fact I remove the advertisements simply by being a subscriber. I am not really trying to insinuate any statement or anything, but more to the point, just using a provided feature.

It's like with some microwave's that include a popcorn button. Even though the bag of popcorn provides how much time you should cook it for, since the option is there, there is more inclination to use it.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I have rules in noscript and AdBlock to allow everything from ANN, including ads. I like the ads here, since they are for products that I might actually buy, like new anime releases and such.

/the fast servers are more than than enough reward for me
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I keep the button ads on as they are the least intrusive (banners with rollovers are a pain and the least said about infolinks the better) although I just noticed that they don't actually appear on the UK site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

/the fast servers are more than than enough reward for me

I have to admit, the fast server is certainly a exceptional plus. At first I didn't really notice much of a difference, but that changed very quickly as I soon learned, there is quite a substantial difference.

This is especially helpful if I want to check out the latest news quickly or have a limited amount of time or something around those lines.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I finally got paypal to allow me to use my credit card again so I could subscribe.

FINALLY.

*spits on Paypal*

And shouldn't I have access to the special forums now?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:12 am Reply with quote
There's just no easy way to say this, but here goes.

I've only one issue with the subscription service and that's the lack of tie-in to the video service. I know the reasons, which frustrates me even more.

This is why I like to believe my subscription goes to Theron "Key" Martin, my personal reviewer. This is a joke, so don't read it as a fact we get to dictate where the monies go. That's for ANN to decide.
Razz

@Kyaa the Catlord:
Yes, you should have immediate access. If you don't, make a thread in the Bugs/Feedback forum and someone will eventually assist when they can.
jdotaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
soon as I have some spare cash I will subscribe
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
I don't really mind ads, the only reason I got adblock was become some sites seriously have virus laden ads and popups...

Ads I seriously detest now are the ones that slide across your screen with a video. I hate going on sites and all of a sudden I hear some annoying video ad =___=
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
QuinnM wrote:

Not everyone's a dick like you. This site costs a lot of money to run and readers realize they need to support it, either by allowing ads to display or by paying a subscription fee, in order for it to continue operating.

@everyone else, thank you for your support.

Christopher Macdonald
Anime News Network
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2