• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bridge Over Troubled Arakawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode what with the 'cat radar' and everything, but I ended up dropping it after 4-5 episodes as it didn't really do anything to differentiate itself from the standard harem. Hell, if he would have been chasing any girl other than Mizuno (especially that older postal worker girl <3) then I may have had more interest, but Mizuno was such a lame lead female character. I initially had interest in it since I knew Nabeshin had some involvement with it, but overall I found his presence (at least in the episodes I watched) sadly lacking.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Awww, kitty! So cuuute! Smile

I watched Adieu Galaxy Express 999 a day or two after Erin's previous Shelf Life was put up. I have to admit, I preferred Galaxy Express 999 over its successor. I found the first movie to be tighter, plot-wise, whereas the sequel started off fine, but seemed to go all over the place after leaving Earth (I'm tempted to say "off the rails"...wait, think I just did). One minute Tetsuro is at a train station, and the next he's in a castle. It just seemed that large distances on planets seemed to be covered in very short periods of time. One scene also reminded me of the pod scene towards the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey, where solid streaks of colours are shown to represent travelling great speeds and distance. As good as Adieu looked, that particular scene didn't seem to fit in with the relative quality of the rest of the movie. I also had a problem with Captain Harlock's English dub voice. It just didn't seem to fit the character. I still enjoyed it for the extension of the story, but now I think I know why I didn't remember much about the movie after having seen it many years ago.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We're introduced to Faust, a cool-looking, but evil machine-knight with strange powers (wearing a helm strikingly reminiscent of the playbill cover for Amadeus),

Actually, I think Faust was inspired by one of the Tezuka Astroboy robots. [At least based off of what I remember from that GBA game, since I never finished the manga.] But obviously, with Adieu coming off of Star Wars, he'll remind you more of Vader. [But in Reiji's defense, he's been ripped off by George quite a bit on his own. Plus, the Wachowskis used the whole spoiler[humans feeding the machine gimmick] for the Matrix. I forgot about that scene until someone brought it up as a comment for the Megazone Youtube mash-up.] Though when I first saw Adieu, I was absolutely disappointed, because I only had the first film as a reference. Now, after Crunchyrolling the original series, I'm a lot happier with where it went. But you have to really see the show to get the most out of that movie. Because it clearly assumes you've seen the show, even if its marketing tries to suggest that it's just a self-contained sequel to the other movie.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's too bad this is so crazy expensive, I'd like more people to watch Arakawa.

You know what's funny, my initial reaction when I opened my package and saw that HUGE premium boxset for Arakawa Under the Bridge (my first NISA release) was something like : "Damn, this thing would cost at the very least 200$ if it was sold in Japan."

I know that these are two totally different markets, but premium editions do come at a price (even in the US), and to me this one doesn't qualify as an expensive one (you can get them most NISA premiums for 44$ on sale at Rightstuf).
And I assume that a regular/cheaper boxset for the same show will eventually see the light of day.

That being said, I'm extremely pleased that you enjoyed the series. Personally, it's one of my all time favourites, as I feel like Nino/Hoshi/Maria's antics will never get old to me. =)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:

I know that these are two totally different markets, but premium editions do come at a price (even in the US), and to me this one doesn't qualify as an expensive one (you can get them most NISA premiums for 44$ on sale at Rightstuf).
And I assume that a regular/cheaper boxset for the same show will eventually see the light of day.

And they do. They release a standard edition for $10 cheaper (MSRP) about 3 or 4 months after the premium editions. And that seems fair to me. People like me will buy the premiums and fund their upfront costs to licensing and so forth, and then the standards can come along and give them their profit. Their premium packaging is just the kind of thing I like to see. Good, sturdy box, nice extras, usually in the form of an artbook. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this is a bit weird to point out, but I feel like exploring the subtopic addressed here anyway...

Quote:
From the half-assed Sentai Filmworks not-trailers on previous DVDs...

Ugh, I know, right? A few weeks back I saw the trailer for Angel Beats!, and had I not seen the series before, but just had the trailer to go by, I'd have no idea about what was going on. There's some haphazard combination of comedy/drama/action money shots set to a version of the opening theme; it's essentially a terrible AMV. If they're going to do a "trailer" set to that song, they should just combine it with a clean opening and call it a day.

Come to think of it, weren't a whole bunch of the trailers by ADV Films (Sentai's previous incarnation for those not in the know) haphazard AMVs as well?

Edit: Here's the Angel Beats! trailer I was speaking of, by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc5GCDSgWQI. Maybe I'm being a little hard on it, but... I just don't get any indication that this has anything to do with the afterlife; I just see a focus on baseball, guitar concerts, guns, sharp weapons, and moe.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:55 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
That cat is sooo cute (fanboy squeal Anime hyper) And curse you Erin for now I have two more titles I need to pick-up (Arakawa and Adieu)
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Arakawa and some of these other releases (it's spreading out from just NIS) are starting to throw me. It used to be you could count on the BD releases to be bilingual, but now you have to keep reading to find out whether you will be doing heavy reading. Points for an HD release in a heavy-box, but not enough to overcome the massive price penalty for language issues.
Sailor S wrote:
Erin wrote:
It belongs on your shelf in a place of honor, next to other anime feature classics like The Dagger of Kamui, Nausicaä, and Paprika.

Actually, it would be on my shelves next to 5 Centimeters Per Second and Adventures of Mini Goddess because that's where it would fall alphabetically, which is the only proper way to display one's collection.

Not to worry Alan45, between Galaxy Angel (not counting the first movie) and Galaxy Quest is also a perfectly allowable option.

Animerican14 wrote:
Come to think of it, weren't a whole bunch of the trailers by ADV Films (Sentai's previous incarnation for those not in the know) haphazard AMVs as well?

Yeah, ADV was probably the most egregious offender (back in the day) when it came to the category of "you better decide on character design, because that's all you're getting out of this" trailers. Not that CPM didn't try to give them a run for their money some years.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Maybe this is a bit weird to point out, but I feel like exploring the subtopic addressed here anyway...

Quote:

Ugh, I know, right?

I did see something on a recent release (maybe on the Angel Beats! disc, actually) where Sentai made a real trailer, like with cuts. I think it was for... that one from last year that takes place in 1931 or so?

I love the Right Stuf very dearly, but sometimes even their (effort laden) trailers just don't go together visually very well. I had a friend at Media Blasters who cut AMVs in college and worked at a live action trailer house for a while before Media Blasters, and his anime trailers had a visual logic that good editors use. It's hard to explain, and I'm not going to pretend that I know how how to edit, but I think anyone can tell extremely good or extremely bad editing on sight.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

Quote:

Ugh, I know, right? A few weeks back I saw the trailer for Angel Beats!, and had I not seen the series before, but just had the trailer to go by, no one who have an idea of what was going on. There's some haphazard combination of comedy/drama/action money shots set to a version of the opening theme; it's essentially a terrible AMV. If they're going to do a "trailer" set to that song, they should just combine it with a clean opening and call it a day.

By "not-trailers" I believe she was referring to the fact that Sentai use to not do trailers at all. The vast majority of the trailers, including those on Nyan-Koi are simply clean openings, similar to what Geneon/Pioneer often did back in the day. It's only recently that they've started to do more actual trailers.
franchez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Arakawa and some of these other releases (it's spreading out from just NIS) are starting to throw me.

+ 1

Now I have to read the subtitle the whole time I watch them. That's really annoying. Sometimes I missed some shots because my eye is fixed to the text.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Animerican14 wrote:

Yeah, ADV was probably the most egregious offender (back in the day) when it came to the category of "you better decide on character design, because that's all you're getting out of this" trailers. Not that CPM didn't try to give them a run for their money some years.

I seem to remember ADV's "Do It Now!" stuffs were quite a success in getting people to buy even something they weren't interested in. Laughing
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
your anime shelf is alphabetically ordered, lawl...

I did not buy nyankoi or kimikiss even though I liked those series very much as they were DVD only releases

the cats mouths do not move because they are supposed to be realistic cats...
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

Alphabetically just makes more sense to me for organizing my DVD collection.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

Alphabetically just makes more sense to me for organizing my DVD collection.

I alphabetize as well, though I noticed that you have your Gundam collection under "G" and I have mine under "M" (Mobile Suit ___ ). Now I'm feeling like I need to move stuff around .... Confused I'm not sure which way makes more sense (but now I'm thinking your way). I have Martian Successor Nadesico under "M" too, and I'm now questioning that as well.

oh well. I like your kitty. Lots of personality there. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3