• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Government: "Promote Anime and Manga"

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Until recently, most of Japan's international promotion of Japanese culture centered around traditional culture. However, recent years have seen an increase in calls for more support of Japanese Pop Culture in light of the success that Manga and Anime have experienced overseas.

I can understand, you have new generations through, and one way to promote Japan would be through our so beloved hobby. We just can't assume that this is what Japan is about through anime and manga though. Traditional culture will interest people up to a certain point, those wanting to pursue the traditionla part of the culture further are those that will study it in college or those that live over in Japan, in my opinion. Not that I'm saying that it's limited to only these people.
jskov

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Did they specify which museums or universities are going to get support from them? And is there a particular site where we can find more details or updates specifically on their future plans?

I've heard of something similar to this a few years ago, it didn't seem like it flew before. This sounds more promising.
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The announcement only mentioned Universities and such in generic terms. It reads like your standard Japanese Government declaration: strong words, but LOTS of ambiguity.
jskov

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Jariten wrote:
The announcement only mentioned Universities and such in generic terms. It reads like your standard Japanese Government declaration: strong words, but LOTS of ambiguity.

Hmm, as with before. Confused I was under the impression that it might have been truncated from the animeanime news source (I couldn't find it there). It doesn't seem like they mentioned any specific countries either. I'd love to hear more about this and how it goes, along with the involved institutions. I hope I don't miss out on it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well the US is obviously one of them, and then anime is seeing some growth in Europe. So probably countries that don't quite have it yet, and they'll probably try to promote more in countries that do have it but aren't really big on it. Remember, Haruhi Suzumiya was seen on the Gaza Strip.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Jariten wrote:
It's known in Parliament as "gob shyte".
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
basically, anyone not in a major metropolitan area is screwed.
Ninja337

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
They should promote more anime and manga that is based on traditional subjects. They need more Rurouni Kenshin-esque and less gay yaoi going into the west. People in the west are becoming to entranced by subcultures of Japan and are losing interest in conservative Japan, which has many great things to offer. Maybe if the Japanese goverment made some kind of trade restriction that said publishers have to sell a certain ratio of Japanese culture to subculture to Western publishers. This would bring more focus to Japan itself and less to solely pop culture. Something they should also try to do is release more shows that have real Japanese music like Initial D and other shows with Euro/Jpop and not Jrock crap that the Japanese haet. This would harbour a larger interest in Japanese culture and bring a truer understanding of who the Japanese as opposed to superficial animuland.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1