• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer Production to Begin in May

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
So Vince is going to be Racer X, how very interesting. I also liked the little noted that it's going to run opposite of Mr. Jones. And yet my poor Monster never gets any new news to speak of. of well I guess I won't mind watching Speed Racer.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Wheee! Indiana Jones IV!!!! I hope that won't be a let down!

Vince Vaughn as Racer X...hmmm, well, it would have been interesting to see Keanu Reeves as X but I think Vince can do serious...if I remember correctly X was not know for his sense of wacky humor.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
So Vince is going to be Racer X, how very interesting. I also liked the little noted that it's going to run opposite of Mr. Jones. And yet my poor Monster never gets any new news to speak of. of well I guess I won't mind watching Speed Racer.

Releasing Speed Racer opposite Indiana Jones is not a good idea, in my opinion. Just look what happened to Superman Returns. It got killed at the box office by Pirates 2, which was released roughly a week after Superman. That being said, I'd rather see Indiana Jones. I'll probably still see Speed Racer, but with Vince Vaughn playing Racer X (which concerns me very much), I might end up just renting it. It's still very early though. Things could happen that would change my mind.

I'm with you when it comes to Monster though, I'd like to hear more about it too. IMDB has Monster listed to come out this year, but there still is pretty much no information on it. Because of that, and the fact that this project was announced a couple of years ago and it seems that no progress has been made, I doubt Monster will come out this year. We can only hope that it actually will be made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Great news indeed! I heard that some people behind IJ IV will not let Mr. Ford use a real whip like he was able to in the last 3 movies due to safety reasons. And Mr. Ford has reportedly been heard saying that if they do not let him use a real whip he will quit the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
IMDB hasn't confirmed Vaughn as Racer X.
animecritixx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Go Speed Racer! GO!
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Releasing Speed Racer opposite Indiana Jones is not a good idea, in my opinion. Just look what happened to Superman Returns. It got killed at the box office by Pirates 2, which was released roughly a week after Superman.

Superman Returns stank like a silent fart. Pirates 2 didn't have to do much. Any good movie will do well against a bad one on any day.
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
'Indiana Jones 4' FTW! 'Speed Racer' has a potential to be good too though it's probably not going to be very faithful to the original Japanese show.

One thing's for sure, judging by 'Matrix Reloaded' Wachowskis know how to do a good car chase.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

One thing's for sure, judging by 'Matrix Reloaded' Wachowskis know how to do a good car chase.

While it's going to be a stupid idea to release it opposite Indy 4, they still have a chance to change their minds and move it...I think...

And if there is not at least ONE absolutely, positively SPECTATULARLY MIND-BLOWING car chase, I'm not going to go see it!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Is there really gonna be a demand for Indy 4 after those Star Wars prequels and Shia LeBouf playing Indy's son?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Shia LeBouf playing Indy's son?

Seriously!? Hmmm, they must be planning on his character being the opposite of Indy's macho manliness then. Isn't Shia kinda skinny? Or has he filled out in the past couple of years?

Back on topic: Has anyone heard who is going to play Speed?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
For a while, Johnny Depp and Chris O' Donnell were gonna be the ones to play Speed. Now it'll probably be Jake Gyllenhall. *sigh*
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I just checked IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811080/fullcredits#writers

Nothing has been listed for Cast members yet but that particular page has not been updated since Nov. 2006. I'll have to try and remember to keep an eye on it to see if someone updates it.

That or go back to watching Entertainment Tonight!
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...Germany.

I'm guessing they might utilize such racetracks like Nürburgring or Ehra-Lessien.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Forgive my very shaky memories but did Speed Racer also have road races as well as race track races?

THE AUTOBAN! (sp?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2