• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok Manga to Resume Online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
As a girl who owns all the artbooks, and the imported manga, and who was utterly depressed when the manga ended, this is very unexpected but happy news for me.

I wonder if it's going to just be random mysteries that take place before Ragnarok when Loki is still in kid-form, like she did with Hardboiled Detective in 1999, or if it'll continue where the manga ended, with Loki spoiler[back in his true form, but now human, starting a detective agency with Mayura who lost all her memories of him.]

It'll probably be the earlier because kid Loki is too adorable a design, and they need Fenrir and Yamino back as they were instead of in powerless animal form. Still, I hope it's a true continuation of where the manga left off.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
I really surprised at the news too. The series had such a fantastic conclusion years ago that I never thought it would resurface.

Quote:
I wonder if it's going to just be random mysteries that take place before Ragnarok when Loki is still in kid-form, like she did with Hardboiled Detective in 1999, or if it'll continue where the manga ended

I'm wondering about that too. I would love to see the FUTURE adventures of Loki and Mayura. Oh and some US publisher releasing the new Loki series.

Edit:Took out a random HTML tag.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
Oh, this is awesome! Talk about out of left field...! Very Happy

here-and-faraway wrote:
The series had such a fantastic conclusion years ago that I never thought it would resurface.

How did the manga end? I only ever finished the anime, but I loved that!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
How did the manga end? I only ever finished the anime, but I loved that!

Well... I'm still kind of confused via the translations I was given but...

spoiler[Ragnarok was brought upon by Baldur, who it turns out was possessing Odin or something, and Loki's pretty little Mansion was destroyed by Freyr. And I forgot exactly how it ended, but the Norns and Hel were involved, and Thor/Narugami was made king of Asgard. After all this god war stuff was done though, all humans invlolved lost their memories of them, meaning Mayura, and her dad, and anyone else had no memories of them.

And now I really really need to relook at those translations a friend did for me, because I'm confused as to exactly what happened, because I think Loki was given a choice as to staying in Asgard, or staying in Midgard (aka Earth), and the series ends with Mayura, exploring the ruins of Loki's old mansion, crying for some reason she can't understand because she felt she lost something. And then true form Loki shows up, introduces himself to her, and tells her welcome to his detective agency (pretty much re-creating their first meeting in chapter 1). A snake and dog are shown near by to represent Fenrir and Yamino, but it seems they, along with Loki have lost their powers.

But it's apparent he stayed on Midgard for Mayura.
]

It was all very cute and had Mayura/Loki shippers squealing away.

But also, it is important to note that if you read any of the manga and are familar with the anime, the anime is completely different in its ending, and even it's characters.

Manga Mayura and anime Mayura are pretty much two completely different characters. Manga Mayura is actually reasonably intelligent, aware through the series that something is really different about Loki, and she doesn't go around like a ditz shouting Fushigi Mystery and stuff. She's actually helpful on some cases, but towards the end of the manga the cases sort of stop when it's focused on the war between the gods, and with that she doesn't show up too much.

Manga Loki and anime Loki are rather different too. The anime has Loki all serious and reserved, where as in the manga he's... has that personally sometimes, but really most of the time he's silly and running around grinning and pulling little jokes/pranks - basically acting like someone named Loki should act.

I really want to see a continuation of the manga story instead of a bunch of one-shots with Loki in his sealed form. I want to see Loki and Mayura's detective agency, and if Yamino ever got his human form back.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Obviously it's returning now after 7 long years because of the new movie Thor bringing back the Norse mythology into social consciousness! Laughing
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The anime is not different in its ending, it just doesnt go as far as the manga, the anime ends with the introduction of Angora, Loki's wife; from what I hear the two volumes of ragnarock published in the US are a direct continuation ; as far as the actually ending I heard he went back to earth, but I do not recall him becoming human

and mayura is the worst female character in the manga or anime; loki should have gone with anyone else, my favorite is skuld but I also prefer angora or freya, or any one else for that matter

that being said this is one of my all time favorite anime/manga so I am glad to hear this
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
The anime is not different in its ending, it just doesnt go as far as the manga, the anime ends with the introduction of Angora, Loki's wife; from what I hear the two volumes of ragnarock published in the US are a direct continuation ; as far as the actually ending I heard he went back to earth, but I do not recall him becoming human

No. Anyone who has read the anime can tell you BOTH ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The last couple episodes of the manga only lifts a few scenes from the last couple chapters of the first series of the manga, but events, reasons, and characters change up, and the whole manga series up to that point versus the tv series - DIFFERENT.

You can TRY to continue where the anime left off by picking up the first volume of Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok, but it'll only leave a person confused with characters popping up who never were introduced in the anime, personalities are different, and past events, ESPECIALLY ODIN, are made reference to that the anime never ever touched upon.

And as to the end of the manga with Loki being human,spoiler[ it's all depends on how you translate the following bit from the last chapter: "神としての ロキはもう..."
From this we get "Loki is no longer a god..." , or "As a god Loki is already..." with a serious negative verb bit there suggesting he's no longer a god. Another possible way to translate it is "The god Loki doesn't..." but either way you pretty much get the impression that Loki, as a god, no longer exists.

Another bit to prove it is Yamino's human form was originally a spell put upon Yamino. When Loki returns to Asgard, Yamino is a shack from the end of the final chapter, to the little bonus bit they had in the volume release showing Mayura and Loki hanging out and about to search for someone's missing cat. Loki's pretty much living in a shack, and Fenrir apparently can't talk, and Yamino is in a tank like a pet snake.]

And Spica who shows up in the anime is, as far as I can recall, never referred to as Loki's wife, though I'm sure she'd love to be thought of as much. She's only referred to as Yamino and Fenrir's mother, which makes her the comic reincarnation of Angrboda, the giantess in Norse Mythology who gave birth to Hel, Midgardstrom, and Fenrir. She has feelings for Loki, and Loki's kind to her, but he doesn't return her feelings as he explains to her in one of the final chapters of the manga. Apparently that flame died 1000 or so years ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1