• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya CG Film's New Video Centers on Athena

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
Doesn't this thing have some enormous budget, like 100 million? How can they possibly expect to make that back? It's not going to open wide anywhere else like, and if it does, it's just a few Latin America countries that usually don't account for much in international sales, unlike Europe or North America. Maybe they're counting on the Chinese? Like this is actually the example Lucas and Spielberg were talking about with studios overspending on films. Like to turn a profit, they'd need to do Miyazaki numbers.
Araki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Doesn't this thing have some enormous budget, like 100 million? How can they possibly expect to make that back?

Where are you taking that number from?

Quote:
It's not going to open wide anywhere else like, and if it does, it's just a few Latin America countries that usually don't account for much in international sales, unlike Europe or North America.

Now that's a huge mistake. Some Latin movie markets like Mexico and Brazil are VERY important. Blockbusters tend to make more money than most of Europe, actually. Only the UK and France are on par or bigger, mostly the former. Check this chart, for instance.

Now try to picture how much this movie would make in these countries alone (where Saint Seiya is huge) if they play it right.

Anyway, Saint Seiya is very popular in some European countries too, like Spain.

Last edited by Araki on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Doesn't this thing have some enormous budget, like 100 million? How can they possibly expect to make that back?

Try ~20 million. If you think the CG in this movie looks like a 100 million, you're nuts.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:

anime#14017

Harlock only made $17m internationally, an enormous bomb against the $30m+whatever the marketing costs were, and isn't he just as iconic to large parts of the world? I can't imagine how much this one will lose with triple the budget.
Araki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Araki wrote:

anime#14017

Harlock only made $17m internationally, an enormous bomb against thr $30m+whatever the marketing costs were, and isn't he just as iconic to large parts of the world? I can't imagine how much this one will lose with triple the budget.

lol, i seriously doubt that's right. Toei is cheap, and the cgi is not very refined.

Maybe in Japan Harlock is as iconic, or more, but in Europe and Latin America, definitely not. Probably not in the rest of Asia either.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:

lol, i seriously doubt that's right. Toei is cheap, and the cgi is not very refined.

When it comes to CGI or CG animation, Japan is really not very good at it. Most of the film that Japan used looks like PS2-esque graphic, not cutting edge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarkLordDragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks amazing, can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Araki wrote:

anime#14017

Harlock only made $17m internationally, an enormous bomb against thr $30m+whatever the marketing costs were, and isn't he just as iconic to large parts of the world? I can't imagine how much this one will lose with triple the budget.

Maybe in Japan Harlock is as iconic, or more, but in Europe and Latin America, definitely not. Probably not in the rest of Asia either.

This i don't see how this has 100m CG. And Saint Seiya is huge worldwide, maybe not US that's about it. It was very probably in EU too.
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
My question is what exactly is a Roadshow and is it preferable to a regular release if it's different? Can't wait to see Harlock on Netflix later in the year.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
MaxSterling wrote:
My question is what exactly is a Roadshow and is it preferable to a regular release if it's different? Can't wait to see Harlock on Netflix later in the year.

A roadshow is when the film and its promoters travel around from venue to venue to raise interest and hopefully go wider at a later date. It used to be bigger when audiences had literally no access to seeing a film outside of theaters, it wasn't like you just send a screener copy of a reel of film.

A regular release might go wide, see zero interest in a week, and be pulled with no gains even against the production budget. Then it's basically a bomb unless some video release causes a spark to occur and an interest to be found. It's rare this happens anymore with the way news travels, but it did ruin Dredd's box office, probably because it was a September release and it was unfortunately one of the only remakes/reboots that actually bit it hard in theaters. But I think the uptake was just slow on that one, because it was getting talk right before being pulled, it's not a case of a movie sitting for 30 years and then kind of finding an audience like Heaven's Gate.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Araki wrote:

anime#14017

Harlock only made $17m internationally, an enormous bomb against the $30m+whatever the marketing costs were, and isn't he just as iconic to large parts of the world? I can't imagine how much this one will lose with triple the budget.

Harlock is not as sucesfull as Saint Seiya in an international level... not even close... the action figures sell constantly like hot cakes and they are a lot of them. I would even there to say that in the long run Saint Seiya has made more money than dragon ball in some countries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1