• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The relationship between Naruto and Sasuke

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I do not believe the bolony that Sasuke is Naruto friend he even said during the get back Sasuke arc that Naruto do not know how he feel because he has family and he didn't. So, the relation that Sasuke feel the same way Naruto feel is moot heck even Gaara have more in common with Naruto then Sasuke. Even though Gaara knew his father unlike Naruto. Futhermore,Sasuke would betray Naruto in a second if he has the power to beat Itachi and that not how best friend should treat each other.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
What the..? You must've completely blocked out the meaning of all they go through. Naruto and Sasuke are best friends and rivals, rivals always end up being your friend. Sasuke would never straignt up betray Naruto, even too gain power, he sees him as his best friend, only one that knows him and a worthy opponent to test his skill against. Naruto also sees him as a friend and rival for both skill and Sakura, although that kind of disappears after awhile. Sasuke WOULD challenge Naruto too gain more power to kill Itachi, but him NOT killing him in the Sasuke retrieval arc proves that he will NEVER follow Itachi and would do it his own way and fall to evil before doing so, while I believe Naruto would NEVER even think about betraying Sasuke or anyone, so there isn't even a statement there.

Sasuke and Naruto are teammates, friends and rivals and for most of the show, viewed each other that way, that IS a fact, Mr. Fact-stater (I saw someone saying you always state things as a fact, that's the only reason I said that.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The only goal Sasuke got in life is to avenge his clan and kill his brother. He simple do not got the time to make friends or best friends. That is why Itachi let Sasuke live is to follow that path and not get distracted.
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
It's obviously a love hate relationship Confused

Well really, similarly to what Iwatch2muchanime said, they are teammates, and that eventually progessed into a friendship, which is much like how Sakura stopped hating on Naruto. The thing that makes it unclear or not, is the fact they both deny it to some extent. If you recall in the Zabuza arc, Sasuke risked his life to save Naruto's (although he didn't die). Also, in the Sasuke Retrieval arc, it was kind of obvious that Naruto wasn't just bringing him back just for Sakura, but he wanted Sasuke back as well. And, as already said, Sasuke didn't kill Naruto.

Looking deeper into that simple Shounen mind (the "I am weak, get stronger, defeat a difficult opponent, another more difficult opponent appears, you are weak once more, then repeat") that the creator's of the anime gave him, I think there is a bigger psycological effect on the fact that he becomes weaker than Naruto, which also clouded their relationship. The fact that Sasuke wanted to kill Itachi, and that Itachi was only searching for Naruto, pissed him off pretty badly, and he turned all his anger towards Naruto. It almost made it look like Sasuke wanted Itachi to come after him and kill him.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
When he said he would forge his own path after the Naruto fight I was thinking to my self its was pure boloney. It he wanted to forge his own path he would have never left the leaf villiage or he would listen have to Kakashi when he said do not follow the path of revenge because the only thing you are left with is emptiness and he did it anyway. Sasuke is self center that the only way you can explain why he left the village. Futhermore,Sasuke only got one goal and he would not care about anything else until he complete its.
goins007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
When he said he would forge his own path after the Naruto fight I was thinking to my self its was pure boloney. It he wanted to forge his own path he would have never left the leaf villiage or he would listen have to Kakashi when he said do not follow the path of revenge because the only thing you are left with is emptiness and he did it anyway. Sasuke is self center that the only way you can explain why he left the village. Futhermore,Sasuke only got one goal and he would not care about anything else until he complete its.

Well you can think what ever you want, but the simple fact is that Sasuke would never do the things his brother did to get power. He wanted power, lots of it and fast. Had the leaf village shown him he could have gotten it he would have stayed. However he felt his best chances were with orochimaru. His goal goal is to become stronger then his brother and defeat him with out becoming LIKE his brother.

Go colts Wink
free2slap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
What Iwatch2muchanime said is true but My first impression after this incident i thought too this was odd, as something i didn't expect, at least not in the way everything acted out. We saw them when they were kids holding hands, and smiling to each other, honestly the whole performance was gay. However I think it was more in naruto's character to believe that they were actually friends since he is always so naive than sasuke would in the contrary.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Naruto and Sasuke really are friends, truly, but Sasuke has a goal that he feels is incompatible with that friendship, so he openly rejects it, while inwardly maintaining it. He might be willing to kill Naruto if it was absolutely necessary, but he'd do anything he could to avoid it, aside from setting aside his mission. It actually reminds me a bit of the classic Xavier/Magneto dynamic, in which the two characters are genuinely fond of each other and really wish they could work together, but have goals that are mutually exclusive that they can't set aside.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Naruto and Sasuke really are friends, truly, but Sasuke has a goal that he feels is incompatible with that friendship, so he openly rejects it, while inwardly maintaining it. He might be willing to kill Naruto if it was absolutely necessary, but he'd do anything he could to avoid it, aside from setting aside his mission. It actually reminds me a bit of the classic Xavier/Magneto dynamic, in which the two characters are genuinely fond of each other and really wish they could work together, but have goals that are mutually exclusive that they can't set aside.

Well naruto fan 09182, it seems you have created an entire thread on our little off-topic discussion. My hat's off to you for that.

Now down to business. This quote by Ohoni here sums up the whole Naruto/Sasuke relationship pretty darn well. I like the comparison to the Xavier/Magneto relationship. They really are pretty much the same in that sense.

Now I don't mean this in any offense, and I respect your intelligence and your willingness to stand and defend your opinion. I'm going to say this in the most polite way I can. Seriously man, you are sounding pretty darn repetitive, like you're saying the same thing every time. I mean, it's like you haven't even read any of my posts. Sometimes I even wonder if you even watched the valley of the end arc at all. I mean, I'm sure you have, but it's quite obvious you don't understand a thing that happened in it other than the wicked awesome fighting. Might I suggest taking everything we've said to mind while watching the arc again. You might understand it a little more after that.

Also, I don't know about ANN's policy about suggesting AMV's, and if they don't allow you to, I seriously apologize for this. But there's an AMV on AMV.org called Parting of Ways , and it's to the song Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. This is a really good AMV that depicts the Naruto and Sasuke relationship very well, and might give you a better understanding of it as well.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe,I going to have to rewatch that arc because its was like a hundred episodes or so ago. Futhermore,I probably did miss something in this arc because of my hatred for Sasuke but in my opinion if Sasuke has enough chakra and didn't use both shots of his chidori,Naruto would have been found dead by Kakashi. But I pose another question if Sasuke has a choice between choosing to be best friends with Naruto or killing Itachi he chose the choice of killing Itachi. Also,do you think they relationship is in the same kilt as Goku and Vegeta from DBZ because I just ain seeing that.
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Futhermore,I probably did miss something in this arc because of my hatred for Sasuke but in my opinion if Sasuke has enough chakra and didn't use both shots of his chidori,Naruto would have been found dead by Kakashi.

Oh he had enough chakra, and even if he didn't he could have smothered Naruto to death if he'd had the will. He chose not to, and while we can only speculate why my opinion is this: he tells himself that it's because he doesn't want to do what Itachi tells him to do, but the real reason is that he doesn't want to. Later on he claims that this was because of a "whim" but I don't buy that either. In fact, I believe that in his years with Orochimaru he's had to harden himself quite a bit - if he gives himself liberty to feel any emotions at all he'll start regretting betraying Konoha and his friends, therefore the only emotion he will allow for himself is hatred. Just imagine what it feels like to live with a man who quite openly can't wait to wear your skin and having to go along with it. And keep telling yourself that it's for the best.

Now the big question of course is, will Naruto's friendship save Sasuke in the end or is he lost to Orochimaru. I need to believe the first, but lots of people believe the latter.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I just saying why did Sasuke leave the leaf village in the first place. And the easy answer is power but he saw how Naruto just got stronger with just will. Instead of making a deal with the devil which always backfire,and still probably won be able to beat Itachi.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:

Now the big question of course is, will Naruto's friendship save Sasuke in the end or is he lost to Orochimaru. I need to believe the first, but lots of people believe the latter.

Well I for one believe the first. It seems to me what Kishimoto is trying to say and the overall theme of the series would promote him going with that eventual case. Even though it's the most predictable one, it would still be a great thing to see happen, and I think that's more what Kishimoto is pushing for. Of course, that's just wishful thinking and speculation on my part. But who knows? Maybe he'll find a way to surprise us all and still end things well. We'll just have to wait and see.
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I just saying why did Sasuke leave the leaf village in the first place. And the easy answer is power but he saw how Naruto just got stronger with just will. Instead of making a deal with devil which always backfire,and still probably won be able to beat Itachi.

Why does anyone ever make a deal with the devil? Because it's the easy way out.

Sasuke had been training as hard as Naruto had, but instead of progressing with the same speed as he had he was left standing in the water when the time came. Think about the fight the Shukaku - Sasuke tried all he could, with his brand new jutsu and all but just couldn't do it, then Naruto comes along and summons a giant frog and sweeps the floor with Gaara. In many ways this fight was the turning point in their relationship - before that Sasuke still believed that when push came to shove he would beat Naruto, therefore he keeps saying "I want to fight you". After that he's not sure anymore.

And then he thinks he's such a hot shot with his cursed seal, but Sound Four throw him around like a wet towel. It's quite apparent to him that what he's been doing so far hasn't borne fruit and isn't working, and so he makes the decision to sell his soul in return for his brother's death. Do I agree with it, no of course not, but I can totally see why he thinks that way.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who do not think that Orochimaru can supplies enough power to Sasuke to beat Itachi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6