• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Omega Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
I don't get this argument about Fullmetal Alchemist. People complain that the first half feels rushed, but if they didn't rush it, you would be complaining that it's the same show all over again. They're just getting through all the exposition, because they know you've likely already seen it before.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Love the podcast! It's fun to listen to you guys chat, and the film school degrees you have keep things educational! Laughing

Why are people such completists? If I hear about a long-running shonen "that gets good at vol/ep x" then sometimes I'll just start at the good arc and work my way backwards if I like it. That strategy works very well for FMA:B. I saw the first series and read most of the manga, so I really haven't bothered to watch the earlier episodes. I found out approximately when the new series focused more on the manga plot line and deviated from the original series and started there. Now I'm holding my breath every week for the [as] broadcast. The show is really quite good, and sometimes in order to enjoy a good thing you have to skip to the good parts!

Franchises that Should End: Naruto is doing okay and holding it's own for a 10+ year shonen. The Shonen Jump series that needs to get to the freaking ending already!!! is BLEACH!!!

Does anyone know why they still make James Bond movies besides for the fact that it makes great material to satirize in other movies and shows like Archer? Laughing

Oh, and can someone tell the people over at Fox that The Simpsons has jumped the shark so many times the poor thing is beached in Springfield? Actually, I don't think I'd mind if The Simpsons went on forever...

Zac, I can't feel bad for you and Bamboo having to sit through a few boring panels at Comic-Con, but I do feel bad that you got sick. Get better!

(Oh, I also feel bad that your mind categorizes anime by ANN's Preview Guides. That sounds like a sign that you desperately need a vacation...)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

By "Mistake" I mean plot hole.

A good example of a mistake is the birth scene in the first anime, in it Ed claps his hands together, and then touches a bucket water heating it. Neither the Elric brothers understand what is going on. This contradicts the fact that when you pass through the gate you automatically learn about how to do clap transmutation. This becomes an important plot point in the movie where spoiler[Dietlinde Eckhart learns alchemy from passing through the gate including clap transmutation.]

I wouldn't really call that a plot hole. Yes, passing through the gate grants the ability to transmute without a circle, but it doesn't necessarily have to affect everyone in the same way. As I recall spoiler[Eckhart didn't really grasp what she was doing. Al couldn't use it since he was separated from his body, and he couldn't do it later because the gate took that knowledge from him. ] As for Ed, I always took that as more of the gate giving the ability subconsciously rather than outright teaching. If one looks at it like that, then there isn't really a contradiction. The gate seems to be more fickle in the first one.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Oh, and can someone tell the people over at Fox that The Simpsons has jumped the shark so many times the poor thing is beached in Springfield? Actually, I don't think I'd mind if The Simpsons went on forever...

Its not like anyone in Japan minds Sazae-san going on for the past 40 years, which is just about as episodic in nature as The Simpsons based on what few episodes I've seen.
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
I agree that the beginning of Katanagatari is really really slow and dragged out but it certainly does get better, gradually episode by episode. The ending is indeed very intense and I enjoyed it. I felt like something was missing but I think you'll like it tolerably well, so pursue it. Sorry, just backing up what you guys already said, coming from someone who saw the whole thing.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
They're right, Zac. Katanagatari gets better: it pulls itself out of shit-tier writing into mediocre-tier writing. It never gets exciting, never makes you give a shit about anyone except the "bad guys", and tolls pretty hard, but it does get better! If you can trooper through the first episode, you've survived the worst, so the additional pain the dialog will put you through for the rest of the show will feel insignificant when you have all the pretty artwork and character designs to look at.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
To Justin and Zac: Naruto is actually VERY close to ending. The current arc in the manga is pretty clearly the last one, and if the thing about Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 being ready once the manga is finished is true, it really may be done within a year.

Namco and CyberConnect2 seem to have projected Naruto to end next year, actually. What we're seeing soon is Naruto Storm Generations, a hold-over title that starts from the beginning of the series up to when Naruto and Sasuke confront each other after the Five Kages Summit.

The stuff about the current Great Ninja War will be in Naruto Storm 3, which has a planned release of late 2012.

The King of Harts wrote:
Hell, MB and Sentai even have internet presence on forum's (albeit a small one), while Viz has NOTHING. It's in the communities DNA to be tight-nit and close since it's so small, but Viz almost doesn't want to be a part of it.

Companies that frequently directly interact and communicate with their fans tend to be among the more hardcore in whatever industry they're in. Capcom is an example of this. The average John or Jane Doe is not going to be too interested in anything they make. Media Blasters and Sentai function like this too: They're purposely and intentionaly niche.

Viz seems to want to sell to a broad audience and aims stuff at non-anime, non-manga fans. Companies that do this tend not to speak with fans much. To keep the analogy of video game companies, Nintendo is an example of this. This is because what the fans want and what the general public wants does not necessarily coincide. Listening to fans too much will spiral whatever industry it is further and further away from the public. (This is what happened to the comic book business.)

For the record, Nintendo does not even permit its employees to participate in message boards, newsgroups, chat rooms, or other communities related to Nintendo, nor are they allowed to post Nintendo stuff on their social networking accounts. This goes all the way to the top: Even guys like Reggie Fils-Aime and Satoru Iwata do all of their announcements in person or within press releases.

staab99 wrote:
As for viz, they dubbed all of Monster, why not just released it? Or give it to another company to distribute the series?

I believe the reason we don't have more of the Monster anime on video is due to music licensing issues. Someone in Japan (not sure who) got pretty incensed at Viz for having replaced "Be Mine Baby" in an early episode with generic music; Viz would have Disney to deal with in "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" later on. It'd make sense if Viz felt it would cost far too much to get that song and thus not release it. Viz can pay next to nothing to air it on TV once. Viz would have to pay wads of cash to put it on video.

Hypeathon wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Its not like anyone in Japan minds Sazae-san going on for the past 40 years, which is just about as episodic in nature as The Simpsons based on what few episodes I've seen.

Not to mention that the verdict is that The Simpsons has since picked up tremendously since its slump beginning Season 9. Seasons 17 up to the present have been regarded as being something of a silver age for the series.

I'm glad the current writers realized that imitating Family Guy would get the show nowhere.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I believe the reason we don't have more of the Monster anime on video is due to music licensing issues. Someone in Japan (not sure who) got pretty incensed at Viz for having replaced "Be Mine Baby" in an early episode with generic music; Viz would have Disney to deal with in "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" later on. It'd make sense if Viz felt it would cost far too much to get that song and thus not release it. Viz can pay next to nothing to air it on TV once. Viz would have to pay wads of cash to put it on video.

From what I understand, the various music changes in the US release were present in all international releases of the series, not just Viz's. That would lead me to believe that they were performed by the original Japanese production staff.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, really? I guess they found out about music licensing overseas or something. I was basing my guesses on that on why the Mother RPG series never goes outside Japan.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Namco and CyberConnect2 seem to have projected Naruto to end next year, actually.

links, please?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oh, really? I guess they found out about music licensing overseas or something. I was basing my guesses on that on why the Mother RPG series never goes outside Japan.

Yeah, it's not the only series that has had replacement music for international releases. Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad featured a certain high-profile song at its climax that would have caused all sorts of licensing issues. (It was spoiler["I've Got a Feeling," by The Beatles].) FUNi dubbed new lyrics over the same melody in their release, but the Japanese audio track also featured the replacement song. More recently, I think the opening that replaced Oasis' "Falling Down" on most of the episodes of Eden of the East was also provided by the Japanese producers.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I wouldn't really call that a plot hole. Yes, passing through the gate grants the ability to transmute without a circle, but it doesn't necessarily have to affect everyone in the same way. As I recall spoiler[Eckhart didn't really grasp what she was doing. Al couldn't use it since he was separated from his body, and he couldn't do it later because the gate took that knowledge from him. ] As for Ed, I always took that as more of the gate giving the ability subconsciously rather than outright teaching. If one looks at it like that, then there isn't really a contradiction. The gate seems to be more fickle in the first one.

I would use "doesn't make any sense" instead of "fickle" the usage of the gate is clearly the worst part of the first anime. Al can't use the gate because he has no memory of the gate. If it was subconscious than Al should be able to use clap transmutation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
They're right, Zac. Katanagatari gets better: it pulls itself out of shit-tier writing into mediocre-tier writing. It never gets exciting, never makes you give a shit about anyone except the "bad guys", and tolls pretty hard, but it does get better! If you can trooper through the first episode, you've survived the worst, so the additional pain the dialog will put you through for the rest of the show will feel insignificant when you have all the pretty artwork and character designs to look at.

Rolling Eyes Even a good show doesn't stand a chance when a viewer has "shit-tier" taste.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Namco and CyberConnect2 seem to have projected Naruto to end next year, actually.

links, please?

Whoops, turns out it's just the projected release date for Naruto Storm Generations. Narutopedia article: http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Naruto_Shippūden:_Ultimate_Ninja_Storm_Generations (The URL won't work properly here as there is a "ū" in it.)
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. I just can't see this franchise ending. It is still way up there in manga sales and in TV viewers:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-01/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-18-24

7th on the list of top ten.

This franchise is a huge cash cow. They will milk it for as long as they can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5