• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Spiriting Away

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote
I'm a fairly big fan of the game(Disgaea) but I really didn't like the anime... Gave up two episodes in, I really didn't appreciate the greatness that is Captain Gorden being lowered to the point of a Team Rocket parody.

Aside from that, the jokes were reused from the game and not even done very well...

On Shelf Obsessed.... Wow, that's massive... I know I don't have much at all, only limited to three small shelves(One 2 1/2 foot and two 3 foots), but I have absolutely NO room for any more manga or DVDs. Also have no room(or money) for more shelves. My room is tiny. My pocket is tinier. It sucks.

So, yeah, kinda makes me jealous that not only does he have that much stuff... But he also has room on his shelves for more stuff!
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
In relation to the collection:

Bamboo wrote:
What do you guys think? Is he allowed to have bragging rights?

Cool Most certainly he does! That's a pretty well-organized collection he has there. I might consider using his ideas as a model for my growing collection when I move into a bigger place sometime in the near future.

As for the Gonzo movie, I treat all anime movies that I'm interested in as rentals, so Origin is an automatic addition to my Netflix rental queue. Wink
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote
On top of mostly lacking the humor and emotional impact of the game (if you're sappy), the Disgaea anime has really rotten animation. Fail.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
I'm a fairly big fan of the game(Disgaea) but I really didn't like the anime... Gave up two episodes in, I really didn't appreciate the greatness that is Captain Gorden being lowered to the point of a Team Rocket parody.

Yeah, Disgaea is one of my favorite games, but this anime just sucks. There's no way it successfully panders to fans of the game, but if it's even worse off towards non-fans of the game, then I'd like to see who the anime staff tried to pander towards.

And we can include manga in the shelf life pictures? My anime collection is pretty modest when compared to these showcases, but my manga collection isn't too bad off. I'd need shelves though, lest we're just looking at piles of books on the floor.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
I love Galaxy Railways. It remind me of old-school science fiction, adventurous space opera with a little bit of a message (which is often that man can overcome all obstacles, but at a price). The comraderie between the team members is great. The characters are all distinct. And some of the arcs are so moving. I cried several times watching this anime, not just at sad things, but at beautiful ones. I hope people give it a chance. Sometimes "old school" is still around because it's showing us something classic.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
Well, very little in this shelf life interests me honestly. Only Origin really does and I've already picked it up and seen it. I'm going to agree with Bamboo and add a little bit to her review of it. Similar to how she felt about it I found the series progressed normally through the first half and pretty much rushed its way through the second half and completely changed its style in the process. The movie is only 90 minutes in length but it really could have benefited from another 30 minutes at the very least, possibly more.

The first half develops a decent cast of characters and the base of the plot and then, about halfway through, completely forgets most of that cast of characters and goes in to a series of action sequences and then .... ends. It does provide a few minor scenes involving the forgotten characters in the second half which even imply some potential that they just might, you know, do something. Unfortunately that is not the case and those scenes only serve to further question why they bothered even introducing these characters or gave them any screen time.

As for the environmental message I just didn't really see it. Granted it's a human versus forest grudge match and there's some elements such as the need for coexistence. However the reason behind the war spoiler[doesn't really turn out to be due to any environmental issues at all so it sort of loses some of its ground as an environmental message as a result]. I'm not sure if that's really a spoiler, it's not really key to the storyline but it is something that isn't really revealed until the end so I decided to play it safe.

In regards to the soundtrack I must admit I didn't even notice it. I love soundtracks and I buy most soundtracks I really enjoyed and I usually notice the music but honestly this movies soundtrack must have never really stood out. I rarely even noticed it was there and I couldn't even hum you a few seconds of any of the songs as I don't even recall them and I just saw it only a day ago. The only songs I vaguely remember were from the intro and ending but pretty much everything in between I can't recall.

Now, I'm being hard on the movie but in the end I'd say it was still enjoyable. It was flawed to be sure but it still pulled off the rest effectively. The animation really is nice looking and I loved the art style. The story had its moments and even though the pacing was a complete mess it was still decent and certainly wasn't nearly as bad as some hits such as FF7:AC and even Howl's.

In the end I'd say this is a movie that's exceptionally average. It could have been a great film but wasted a lot of its potential but still managed to do enough right to at least warrant a viewing. Ultimately I put the blame on the length, had they kept the pacing of the first half flowing as it was and added another 30 to 60 minutes it could have lived up to its potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
Disgaea is a weird one and the trailer doesn't help it. I'd have to disagree with your "fans=like, non-fans=lost/no-like". Back when it was airing, fans of the game mostly don't like it because it doesn't follow the game for the most part. Many people who had not played the game liked it. I played a grand total of 1 hour of the game ever and I "liked" this series but that probably has something to do with the Prinnies.

Also, regarding it's faithfulness... spoiler[the anime does become more faithful and less inside jokes, but it takes a while.]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
Mad props to the Shelf Obsessed. One question, does he just buy everything on the racks, or just a whole lot, because that is some pretty diverse taste displayed in there. (^_-) Seriously though, his shelves probably have more items on them than many bookstores (for manga) and most stores that would carry anime. But regardless, mad props to Russ for having all 4 volumes of Getten. Now if only someone else would grab that license and release the full run, that'd be great.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it—I love this trend of domestic anime companies releasing Japanese films (Tetsujin notwithstanding).

Tetsujin doesn't seem too bad, considering it was geared towards a more
optimistic generation. That live-action Giant Robo from the 60s looks worse than it.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
I don't know about the Shelf Obessed fellow. How the heck can he afford that much floor space if he (I'm assuming the person in question is a man) has spent that much money on DVDs? Real estate must be a lot cheaper wherever he lives than it is here ($450 a square foot and still going up).

And "A Taste of Tea" is going to see the light of day in the States? Wow. Never thought anyone would take that risk. I imported the R2 DVD ages ago (it has English subtitles) thinking that I'd never see the movie in a theatre or a store over heare. One of the reasons I picked it up is because Asano is in the cast. That man has been in some very peculiar movies.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm not the only person who likes Galaxy Railways? Astonishing. Granted, when I first saw it, I wasn't too terribly thrilled, because it seemed to me to be a stunt similar to what 08th MS Team was for Gundam: trying to legitimize the more fantastical elements of an established story. Where 08th MS Team stripped away the remaining super robot elements of Gundam and made it into a more hardcore "realistic robot" sort of series, Galaxy Railways seemed—to me, anyway—to be trying to take away some of the fantastical mystique of the whole Galaxy Express concept by creating an entire transportation service and legitimate military based on the idea of spacefaring locomotives. It worked for Gundam, since that's what Gundam was trying to be, but it didn't work for a deliberate space fantasy like Matsumoto's universe, and because that was my initial perception of The Galaxy Railways, I initially came off soured with it.

I stuck with it, though (given that I'm a shameless fanatic for anything Leiji Matsumoto, and wasn't about ready to start hating on any of his works now), and the more I saw of it, the more I realized that those fantastical elements were still at least mostly intact, and that the whole SDF setup and the episodic feel only served to allow the writers to perfectly revisit all the classic themes and messages put forth by past Matsumoto works. Add to that the wholly likable cast; it's not often that I can't find a single character to dislike in a show, but Galaxy Railways pulled it off (now the second season that's airing right now in Japan is threatening to be another matter, but...). It's not the best show in the world, but it's still really good, and I completely recommend it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I saw an ep of Galaxy Railways at my anime club. I liked it, but not enough to get the DVD D=. I may look into it sometime, though. It was a pretty neat idea. The other stuff never did interest me.

As for Shelf Obsessed, I would enter, but these collections that keep getting featured are MASSIVE. Just about the only way I'd enter is if I were to get about 80 more discs and a couple more nice figures I could put in the pic to make my 111 disc collection look a bit nicer x3. I get a kick out of seeing other collections, though. no clue why.
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I have to give thanks to Bamboo Dong for reviewing Taste of Tea; now I know what movie that whacky ass trailer I watched about a year ago belongs too.

Last edited by RezSav on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow...thats a lot of dvds.
It looks like a basement or something- thats probably why theres so much room.

As for the article The Taste of Tea looks intresting and If I see it maybe i'll grab it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I just wanna know where the rainbow cat graphics came from. They are SO CUTE. I totally flipped when I saw them.

Galaxy Railways seems like an interesting show. For some reason the new format of Shelf Life still confuses me though. It was easier to read when it was Keepers on the top, Rentals in the middle, perishables on the bottom and underneath that any oddities (like live action movies). That was easier to read. Now i keep having to look at the weird color strip coding thing to figure out if Im looking at something that got a thumbs up, down or indifference. Blegh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4