• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Singles can suck it.

Agreed. Such a complete and utter waste of physical and digital space.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Yeah Nico got it right. Due to the fact its still being released in Japan kills the chance at a complete set right now. I'm alright with smaller parts. It makes it more affordable ($50 every few months vs $300 at once) everyone can probably agree with that, assuming you are okay with the pricing. Maybe they will toss in an ender box?

EDIT: could this be the return of singles?? ;p every industry guy interviewed has said that that is the most profitable way to go.

Singles died, because people got tired of shows not being completed. Why start buying a show, if you don't know if it will be finished.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
Actually, according to stuff I've read on ANN, the biggest reason the singles release strategy died is that b&m stores put pressure on distribs. They didn't want titles taking up so much space on shelves.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
EDIT: could this be the return of singles?? ;p every industry guy interviewed has said that that is the most profitable way to go.

Who are these guys, and where were they interviewed?

TarsTarkas wrote:
Singles died, because people got tired of shows not being completed. Why start buying a show, if you don't know if it will be finished.

Blood- wrote:
Actually, according to stuff I've read on ANN, the biggest reason the singles release strategy died is that b&m stores put pressure on distribs. They didn't want titles taking up so much space on shelves.

I think that those were probably the two major factors in the switch away from singles.

And the second reason is important not only to the brick and mortar stores but also to the Internet stores. The collections take up less space in the warehouse and are easier to pick, pack and ship. And having one product (the collection) rather than five or six (the singles) saves time and money on inventory and web site creation.

I think that the main benefit of singles, for both the customers and the studios, was that they spread the expense out over time.
The customer could decide to not continue the show after buying the first volume, and the studio could decide if the show was worth continuing based on the sales of the first volume.
but I think that streaming is serving that purpose for most people now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Who are these guys, and where were they interviewed?

Jerry Chu and Robert Napton. This website.

I prefer singles. More artwork, booklets, and CDs (JP). I started losing interest when N. America adopted the two part format and complete formats because that isn't how anime should be initially released in my opinion.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
So basically you are more interested in the secondary material than the actual show itself.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

The customer could decide to not continue the show after buying the first volume, and the studio could decide if the show was worth continuing based on the sales of the first volume.

So, wouldn't that be reason number one and two for the death of singles? In America, of course. Just trying the first disc of a series led to many problems, from overproduction to over-speculation from the company and retail stores to complaints from people waiting for the next disc to the diehards who complain when the series just stopped coming out entirely.

Furthermore, thanks to the internet, people just are not patient enough to collect a one cour show that would get a half a year release schedule. Not with the imposed waiting period thanks to Region A.

Quote:

Purely from a profit standpoint for a single title, sure {how appropriate a response in this thread} but overall total sales would decline. The key point is not to get one person to buy A but to get many to come back for B and C as well.

Well, that would be my plan but, then again, I'm evil.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So basically you are more interested in the secondary material than the actual show itself.

No. If I was I'd primarily be an artbook and CD collector than BD.

I forgot to add but I've been really into drama CDs. I really like bonuses and "new" things.

I'm not going to speculate on why singles died or whatnot because I don't know the details. I'm just a consumer. Just saying what I heard in interviews.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, when you say that you started to lose interest in NA releases when they went to two part and complete collections that seems to indicate you are more interested in the setting than the stone, as they say.
crazydom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
From the bonus features, it looks like they're not going to include the commentary again.

I can't believe they included it for Bake and then just yanked it away. The character commentary was hilarious and really made the ridiculous price worth it.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
crazydom wrote:
From the bonus features, it looks like they're not going to include the commentary again.

I can't believe they included it for Bake and then just yanked it away. The character commentary was hilarious and really made the ridiculous price worth it.

It could be a licensing issue since it really is a huge bonus. They're probably worried about reverse importation in this case.

I'm also very bummed as well. I bought Bakemonogatari specifically because they included the character commentary but I've yet to pick up Nisemonogatari because it does not, even though the pricing isn't too much of an issue to me.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote

http://www.aniplexusa.com/servantservice/ | http://www.rightstuf.com/i/aoa4201
Quote:
Coming 5/27!

Servant x Service Complete DVD Set

Features and Bonus Contents

Product details
■Episodes: Episodes 1-13
■Original Japanese Audio
■English Subtitles

Special Package & Bonus Materials
■Textless Opening
■Textless Ending
■Special Public Documents (24-page Booklet including Four-frame Manga Strips!)
■O-sleeve with Key Visual Art
■2-sided Reversible Cover
*Bonus contents and materials subject to change.

SRP: $74.98
Sales Price: $59.98

DVD Specs
Languages: Japanese
Video: 16:9 Widescreen
Audio: Japanese Linear PCM Stereo
Subtitles: English
Number of Discs: 3 DVDs
Total Run Time: Approx. 325 min.
Region: 1&4
Rating: 13 UP
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
Well that's left an oddly big gap in their UPC allocation

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Well that's left an oddly big gap in their UPC allocation

Well, let's see. What singular Aniplex title can hold up 18 slots' worth of BDs/DVDs? It can only be the title I've been asking them of since June of last year (only this time with a dub)...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
They BETTER not be coming out with a reasonably priced GoS release on BD now that I've purchased the DVD LE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 88 of 108