• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
... or the beer was talking

Smile no biggie. it is the internet. and the screen is always gonna get in our way.

Alan45 is definitely right though, the Blu is so pretty. Since I missed out on the initial TRSI offering way back when, I had to pay a bit more from an Amz JP reseller for the LE one. And the pic for the one posted above does absolutely no justice for it. It's beautiful.

And you're right about Aniplex, the quality of their physical product varies, from rather exquisite all the way to "...the heck is this?"

Like the R1 dvd set for Garden. It's... well... let's just say as a collector living in R1 I'm of the opinion that if they wanted to win over this fan they could've approached it differently?

It did manage to receive runner up in the "this is what we mean by a lack of quality control" competition. Of which I've sponsored on a daily basis since 2000. lol. But despite that the slightly crooked artwork on the box and lower cost paper used just wasn't enough to nudge past Funi's leaning tower of Psycho Pass or the UK release of Gurren Lagann.

@Alan45
I dunno about that "problem". I mean even I can order from Amazon Japan. It's not much different than ordering from Amz US. And since it is Amazon with its deeper pockets they have made efforts to be more competitive with their pricing along with lowering the costs of shipping for those that import. That said I'm always going to be open to other choices if they're better.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
@lem

For anyone who frequents this forum, it is not a problem. We have not only a link to the Amazon listing but the assurance that it is the same product. I think AoA is cynically taking advantage of fans who want the Bluray but are not all that well informed of alternative sources. That is a hell of a markup for acting as a middleman. Especially since they are not risking anything. The sets are already made and are probably bulk shipped to TRSI from the factory warehouse. This probably indicates that demand in Japan has dropped off. I expect the offer will last only until they sell off the current pressing.

What would really frost the cake is if they wait until this sells out and then do a North American pressing for substantially less money with more extras. Twisted Evil

I did get the original version on preorder from TRSI. The main difference is the (rather fabulous) art book. Also the disks have a pictorial print on them instead of text. Because of the size, it shares a shelf unit with my NISA limited editions.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
One-Eye Wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure I would go for it even at $230 without anything else added to this release.

Oh, but the Bluray version is so pretty! Very Happy

Yea, yea, yea its purrrty. Wink Laughing

Honestly, I'm ok with 1080i and I'd be ok with 720p even (yea blaspheme I know). Really with the advent of BD visual quality of a certain level for newer stuff should be expected. What gets me though is audio quality. I want nice audio quality with releases. It can really make a difference (for me at least). The audio quality will be nice on this import for sure. I can't remember but I think my AoA Fate/Zero BD came in stereo for the dub? What the heck was that about? Why even bother putting the dub on the disc then. Sheesh.

lem wrote:
the pic for the one posted above does absolutely no justice for it. It's beautiful.
I saw an unboxing once and I know the artbox is solid looking and nice quality covering. I did entertain at one point importing the one above from Amazon JP. Uh, do you know how the subtitles are? I read somewhere that they are different from the DVD LE and are more engrish-y.

Quote:
Like the R1 dvd set for Garden. It's... well... let's just say as a collector living in R1 I'm of the opinion that if they wanted to win over this fan they could've approached it differently?
I get irritated when I look at my set. It just screams that they took every shortcut that they could get away with and still call it an LE. I'm still glad to own a copy though, which then makes me doubly irritated ("thank you master may I have another?").

Quote:
It did manage to receive runner up in the "this is what we mean by a lack of quality control" competition...But despite that the slightly crooked artwork on the box and lower cost paper used just wasn't enough to nudge past Funi's leaning tower of Psycho Pass or the UK release of Gurren Lagann.
I hear you. The GITS 25th Anniversary ranks higher for me in the annoyance category with audio issues, mangled subs and zero response from Anchor Bay. It just boggles my mind that they screwed that one up.

Well, like I said I'd be ok double dipping if this set had something a little more to it and was in the $230 ball park. As it is now I'll stick with the DVDs but maybe AoA will surprise me and include something awesome (aside from postcards)!

Well I'm going to hit the sack (the beer has already kicked in) may you all have Blu-ray dreams (in sound as well as color) of Shiki kicking butt.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
@One-Eye

I assume the subs are the same as on the original LE Aniplex imported awhile back. I didn't see any problem with them. Granted I'm not one to look for things to complain about. I will say that any problems with the subtitles were not so noticeable as to take me out of the show. So not too engrish-y if at all.

Concerning Fate/Zero, it was a TV show which means it was broadcast in stereo. I expect that is why it was dubbed in stereo. Back before ADV imploded they used to make 5.1 dubs for TV series that were originally in stereo. However Sentai consistently provides only stereo on their Blurays. I think that is more or less consistent across the board. These days I don't expect 5.1 sound on either sub or dub unless the show was released in theaters originally.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
it takes forever to get a picture I'm happy with.

@Alan45 I'm still kicking myself for missing out on that TRSI offering. I could've bought two with what I paid for the JP release.

From what I see at Amz the title is ranked at about 300 or so. It's already been a couple of years and I don't know if that's horrible or what exactly, but I'm just gonna wait until I learn more about this release for R1 fans. I have no idea what they (Aniplex US) are thinking.

Maybe they'll make some adjustments or rethink things and bring us R1 fans a re-release worth buying. One that's gonna be worth doubling up on to give away, and or just worth buying for the first time viewers/newer fans?

@One-Eye
the JP blu release of Gits the movie does have the subtitles that weren't changed (I know, I know, big surprise there!) They're like the initial R1 dvd release of years ago (so it's still "that time of the month" on the JP release).

Re: Format
I'm okay with VHS, dvd, whatever the show is on. Kinda depends on the title or the nature of it. Don't think I'll ever need my 3 Airmaster dvds on a blu you know?

Sure the older ones can look better than ever when done right, but I also have some dvds that put some of my blu-ray to shame. And as we've already read here with Sailor Moon and others - who authored it and a whole slew of other technical details can make a mess of things.

tGoS filled with its live action photograph shots for the backgrounds are visibly more detailed on blu. Add to that all manner of subtle visual cues, e.g., rain, dust particles, lighting/shading, and all of the various special effects they use during the action sequences... it's just so much better looking at the higher resolution. I have the dvds ("I'm at a movie theater with Shiki. Please turn off your cell phone.") now but it's hard to find the motivation to sit through them. yep, spoiled rotten here. So no, I can't comment on the dvd subtitle differences if there are any.

I'm also prepared to buy it again to let them know that a title that wants to put a discussion about things like the choices people make while they're still alive is going to sell here, but I'll do the wait and see first.

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
@lem

I bought the original LE on a whim.

A couple years before, probably about the time the first or second movie came out, Previews offered a cool figure for a show I was unfamiliar with. It turned out to be Shiki in the red jacket in a dynamic pose. Later I was looking through an old anime magazine (Anime Insider I think) and found an article illustrated with the graphic the figure was made from. That gave me the English name of the series and a vague idea what it was about. When word got out that TRSI was offering it (probably here) I dithered for a couple of weeks and eventually pre ordered it. A good thing since it sold out in pre order. It was basically a rather expensive blind buy.

lem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45
^Nice shot! Love that pose. Do you have the nendo also? Went looking for a Nichoujou "Hakase " nendo today and I ended up seeing this 1/7 Shiki Ryougi available for pre-order.

I was burned out when that limited release was first available. Didn't have a clue as to its availability. Not that knowing about it would've made any difference, at the time I just couldn't stand to watch anything I already had.

Nowadays to avoid that sorta thing I force myself to mix things up between live action, manga, and anime. That or simply take short breaks from any fiction altogether. And to keep from going broke I try my best to avoid looking for any new figures. But that Shiki got the best of me today. I went ahead and ordered one. Very Happy
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
@lem

Nice figure! I'll have to think about that one. I haven't gotten much into Nendoroids. I've limited myself to Miss Monochrome and Regne from Non Non Biyori. My problem is that I already have a lot more figures than display space. I have to be selective about what I buy.

I've been into anime since August 1997 and so far I've avoided burnout. Mostly I think because I never really gave up my prior hobby of reading. When I'm not in the mood for anime I simply pick up a book and read for a few days. It also helped that when I started, manga was mostly in comic book form and I had a ball hunting down back issues where every I went. Anime wasn't that easy to find either. I sort of miss the hunt.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@One-EyeI assume the subs are the same as on the original LE Aniplex imported awhile back. I didn't see any problem with them. Granted I'm not one to look for things to complain about. I will say that any problems with the subtitles were not so noticeable as to take me out of the show. So not too engrish-y if at all.
I don't mind the occasional misspelling in subs, that I can forgive but if its a regular occurrence over all the movies it would start to grate for me. FandomPost mentions it here and I want to say I might have seen it on Bluray.com as well.
Quote:
The grammar gets a little Engrishy from time to time. It's noticeable, but nowhere near as bad as, say, the bizarre subtitles for the Macross Plus movie edition.
The funny thing is I'm more accepting of lousy subs and weak dubs from some old 90's anime, but less tolerant nowadays.

Alan45 wrote:
Concerning Fate/Zero, it was a TV show which means it was broadcast in stereo. I expect that is why it was dubbed in stereo. Back before ADV imploded they used to make 5.1 dubs for TV series that were originally in stereo. However Sentai consistently provides only stereo on their Blurays. I think that is more or less consistent across the board. These days I don't expect 5.1 sound on either sub or dub unless the show was released in theaters originally.
I probably didn't explain myself well. My complaint is that we will get HD audio for the Japanese, but then we will get crappy non-HD 2.0 for the dub. Its ok if its stereo for both as I know a lot of stuff is made for television, but I want both tracks to be in HD. Sentai's Knights of Sidonia came 5.1 HD for both Japanese and English which is great. On the other hand, Fate/Zero was PCM for the Japanese, but just DD for the English. Also I not only get annoyed at Funimation for consistently lowering the decibels on their dubs but a show like Claymore they upscaled it to HD giving us only DD stereo for the Japanese and 5.1 HD for the crappy dub. I just wish that when companies give us dual language options for BD that they are both in HD quality. I can accept it not being 5.1 that's just extra icing for me, but tin thin 2.0 audio irks me. I'm not one of these "no dub, no sale" people or "dubs ruin the purity of the original language" and all that nonsense. I listen to the one that works better for me and it could be either one so that's why equal audio quality in both tracks is important to me.

lem wrote:
@One-Eye
the JP blu release of Gits the movie does have the subtitles that weren't changed (I know, I know, big surprise there!) They're like the initial R1 dvd release of years ago (so it's still "that time of the month" on the JP release).
Yea, I looked into that but the English dub is only dolby 2.0. I know, I know I'm spoiled and want everything! I returned the 25th version and then someone bought it for me at xmas, lol. Laughing So now I have the original DVD, the Special ED DVD, GITS 2.0 BD (with horrible CG), and the 25th with its issues. I find myself watching the original DVD the most.

The pictures look fantastic btw. It really is a nice box. Anyways, we'll see what AoA does. I'm in no rush since I at least have the DVDs. If they were to drop the price between $150-200 I might see my resolve weaken. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
@One-Eye

OK, I can see your point if they are providing sub standard audio for dubs. I hadn't noticed. While I'm not a purist, I mostly watch subs and not the dubbed version. However, for me that is personal preference and not a policy statement. I do watch the dubbed version if they would actually be speaking English as in Black Lagoon. People who can't accept that others have a different preference are a pain.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't noticed any audio issues in my F/Z DVDs, though my sound system mixes everything into 5.1 anyway even if it's stereo so it's hard to tell. For those I'm more disappointed that the DVDs were censored or at least certain scenes were omitted. There were some instances that had me thinking "wasn't this scene longer in my BD version?", though I haven't bothered to do an in depth comparison.

I can say that my Garden of Sinners BD set is definitely a cut above most of my other BD in audio quality, though this also seems to hold true for most of my other imported discs as well.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
http://www.aniplexusa.com/p3m | Coming 1/20/2016

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Persona-3-The-Movie-3-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray-Import
Quote:
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona3 THE MOVIE #3 Falling Down Collector's Edition Blu-Ray (Import)
**WHILE SUPPLIES LAST**

Bonus Contents (Included in both Collector's Edition & Standard Edition)
■ Trailers
■ Commercials
■ Audio Commentary

Collector's Edition Exclusive Bonus Materials
■ Original Soundtrack CD (Including the theme song "Light in Starless Sky")
■ Exclusive Box Art
■ Newly Illustrated Cover Art
■ 48-page Deluxe Booklet*
■ 10 Super P3 Stickers
■ 3 Key Art Illustration Cards

Aniplex of America Exclusive Bonus Material
■ English Translation Booklet of the “Deluxe Booklet”

*Bonus contents Subject to Change

Blu-ray Specs
Language: Japanese
Subtitles: English (*Audio commentary and bonus contents don't include subtitles)
Number of Disc: 2 Discs: Feature & Bonus Disc (Original Soundtrack CD)
Total Run Time: Approx. 87 min.
Region: --
Rating: 13 UP

SRP: $99.98
Sales Price: $79.98

Pre-Order Starts from Tuesday, 9/8

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Persona-3-The-Movie-3-Falling-Down-Blu-ray-Import
Quote:
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona3 THE MOVIE #3 Falling Down Standard Edition (Import)
**WHILE SUPPLIES LAST**

Bonus Contents (Included in both Collector's Edition & Standard Edition)
■ Trailers
■ Commercials
■ Audio Commentary

*Bonus contents Subject to Change

Blu-ray Specs
Language: Japanese
Subtitles: English (*Audio commentary and bonus contents don't include subtitles)
Total Run Time: Approx. 87 min.
Region: --
Rating: 13 UP

SRP: $74.98
Sales Price: $59.98

Pre-Order Starts from Tuesday, 9/8
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Heads up for Fate/Zero fans it seems that part 1 of LE is OOP.

https://www.facebook.com/AniplexUSA/posts/1177585448922065
Quote:
Thank you very much Fate/Zero fans for your continued support! The Limited Edition Blu-ray Box Set I is now SOLD OUT! If you haven't purchased the LE Blu-ray Box set II yet, now's the time to do so because those are going fast too! Purchase your copy today at: http://fatezerousa.com/product-blu-ray-box-set-2.php

RightStuf also lists part 1 as currently unavailable. On the old website we might have had a counter to warn people, but its possible that they have a few hidden in some corner yet.

RACS still has it in stock for $168.98.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
http://www.rightstufanime.com/images/catalog_images/2015_issue3_catalog.pdf (page 26)

Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] Vol.2 coming February 15, 2016.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
I don't usually like to preorder expensive items but I think I will preorder part 2 of Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works as soon as it is solicited as it appears the import version of part 2 has already sold out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 98 of 108