• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York ComicCon 2007 - Tokyopop

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Wow...so that means ADV lost Tactics and Peacemaker? I remember them saying they'd be putting them on hold but not to another company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
They are translating the Full Metal Panic! novels! HELL YES!!!!

Welcome to the NHK is nice too. Here's hoping they get treated like Scrapped Princess rathe than Crest of the Stars.

I'm mildy interested in Aqua and Aria so its nice to here that they finally have a date for Aqua, but none of the new licenses grabbed my interest. I may look into the Fruits Basket fanbook.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
I'll be looking forward to the Welcome to the NHK novels but nothing else looks tempting. Once again Tokyopop fails to impress me.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
I'm also excited that TP will be releasing the Welcome to the NHK! novels, though that's pretty much it for me in terms of TP's new stuff. & maybe the FMP novels as well, but I'm thinking of watching the anime first prior to that.
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
Fruits Basket fanbook!? Squeeeee! Anime hyper This will undoubtedly be a financial success for Tokyopop.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
Woohoo! A translated Fruits Basket fanbook! Sweet! Anime hyper I'm so happy that Tokyopop is publishing an English version. My friend bought me the Japanese version a while ago, and while I love it, it is frustrating that I can't read it! I bet the Tokyopop version won't have the awesome stickers, though. But I wonder if it will include the color pages? Hah, hah, whatever, I'll just be glad to be able to read it (though I found some online translations of the one page manga stories at the end, which are quite funny). Now, I mainly wanted the fanbook to be translated, but I wonder if they'll ever publish English versions of the two artbooks? (Not that it really matters for the Fruits Basket artbook that I have, since it's mainly artwork). I also wonder if they'll ever publish any other works by Natsuki Takaya. Yay, yay, I love Fruits Basket! Anime smile

*cough, cough* Ahem. Uh...ah, yes, I'm also very happy about finding out what month AQUA will come out. I've been looking forward to that, since I was collecting ADV's release of ARIA. It's such a beautiful, sweet, and heartwarming slice-of-life, fantasy, and science fiction series. I bet Tokyopop won't have an opening color page like ADV did, though. Anime cry However, that won't stop me from loving AQUA and re-collecting ARIA! Very Happy

I never saw ADV's release of Tactics, but I am curious about it because it involves Japanese mythological creatures like tengu and kitsune, which I love. I'm particularly smitten with such creatures right now because I finished the Crescent Moon manga not too long ago. I really thought the design of the tengu character in that manga was awesome, so I'm curious to see the one in Tactics.

I'm also very interested in the Trinity Blood novels, which, as far as I can tell, are the original source material for both the manga and the anime. I'm enjoying the anime on Adult Swim, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something, and I suspect the novels might have less gaps in them, since novels usually do.

I looked up the new manga releases in the encyclopedia (at least the ones that I could find) and Heaven!! certainly sounds like a charmingly silly premise (to read about it, click the link for the first volume under related releases). Actually, on one level it makes me think of a shojo version of Bleach, but what really gets me is the stuffed pink monkey that is sort of like the stuffed lion that houses Kon's soul. Stuffed pink monkey. What an attention grabber! Laughing

So much manga, novel, and artbook goodness! If only Tokyopop would translate the Crescent Moon novel. I would like to read more about the struggles between the human and lunar races. Apparently the lead mythological creature in the novel is a mermaid. Cool
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm also very interested in the Trinity Blood novels, which, as far as I can tell, are the original source material for both the manga and the anime. I'm enjoying the anime on Adult Swim, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something, and I suspect the novels might have less gaps in them, since novels usually do.

I've seen about two episodes of the anime and haven't read the novels, but I've read a few interviews and can tell you this: You are missing a ton. There are a bunch of novels out but they could only fit a small portion into the anime so they had to take out a lot. In addition, the author of the novels died shortly before production began for the anime. I believe someone else is continuing the novels in Japan so there will be an ending of some sort at some point.

I had little interest in the anime due largely to knowing that Gonzo was not only going to have to only cover a small portion of the original material but come up with there own ending, which is often a bad thing. It didn't help that I heard enough people (who's opinions I respect) dislike the show. I still have no interest in the anime, but I may look into the novels at some point.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
Woohoo! A translated Fruits Basket fanbook! Sweet! >_< I'm so happy that Tokyopop is publishing an English version. My friend bought me the Japanese version a while ago, and while I love it, it is frustrating that I can't read it! I bet the Tokyopop version won't have the awesome stickers, though. But I wonder if it will include the color pages?

I'm interested in that book along with the FMP! and NHK novels.

Do you happen to know when, in relation to the Fruits Basket manga, the fanbook was published? If it contains any spoilers for the story that TP hasn't gotten around to translating, then I'll avoid it until later (or buy it, but keep it shelved). I do hope that the fanbook doesn't mean one less FB manga volume for the year (since it seems as if we're lucky to see more than two of them in a year, now ;_; ).

Forgot about 12 Kingdoms... From multiple online shops I've seen an on-sale date of March (13?) for the book, but the article almost makes it sound as if it's further off. I hope not. I also hope that we'll see more than one of these a year (but it does have a fairly high page-count, IIRC). I can't wait to buy it! ^_^;;
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I've seen about two episodes of the anime and haven't read the novels, but I've read a few interviews and can tell you this: You are missing a ton. There are a bunch of novels out but they could only fit a small portion into the anime so they had to take out a lot. In addition, the author of the novels died shortly before production began for the anime. I believe someone else is continuing the novels in Japan so there will be an ending of some sort at some point.

I think part of the problem with Trinity Blood (other then it being a train-wreck) is that its not based off the novels, but based off a Manga that is based off the novels. So we (and everyone) was getting a washed down version to begin with, and yes the original author did die and I don't think anyone is going to be continuing in his stead.

Ingraman wrote:
Forgot about 12 Kingdoms... From multiple online shops I've seen an on-sale date of March (13?) for the book, but the article almost makes it sound as if it's further off.

I'm also a huge fan of the 12 kingdoms and really want to continue this story, I remember reading somewhere that these novel come in a really nice hardback version. So I am really looking forward to that, and I wonder if the author decided to come to the novels; Since I had heard she was taking time off from writing them I can't remember exactly why.

Also Tokyopop where is my .hack novel announcement? Seriously I buy really novel from you in hope that you'll get pick up some of the other .hack novels....I was really hoping that was one of the many novels was going to be announced.

As for Kingdom Hearts 2, I can't say I am surprised seeing as how well that first manga did, it was all a matter of time and money before that series got announced.

Edit: I am also glad to hear that the FMP novels got picked up, I probably won't read them but I have several friends who are looking forward to reading them. I will probably just watch the anime in their stead.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
FMP? NHK? Boo Yah!

I've been hoping for these for a long time. I've already read the FMP novels that were the basis for Second Raid as well as two short stories, so I'm looking forward to the earlier books (though it means a long wait to get to A Dancing Very Merry Christmas).
linlinchan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I'm also excited that TP will be releasing the Welcome to the NHK! novels, though that's pretty much it for me in terms of TP's new stuff. & maybe the FMP novels as well, but I'm thinking of watching the anime first prior to that.

Welcome to the NHK! is just one novel.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Baku

Heaven!!

King of Thorn

Kuruizaki no Hana

All I could find out of those listed, and I'm not going to link to Kingdom Hearts II.

Anyway, the only one that I even remotely know about from that selection if King of Thorns. I'll be picking that up without a doubt since I liked the manga-ka's Chikyu Misaki, an extremely underrated three volumes series put out by CMX.

I suppose I might look into the Full Metal Panic! novels and the Welcome to the N.H.K. novel as well.

britannicamoore wrote:
Wow...so that means ADV lost Tactics and Peacemaker? I remember them saying they'd be putting them on hold but not to another company.

Perhaps this will be a sign for TP taking Yotsuba&! into their hands? >_>

linlinchan wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Welcome to the NHK! is just one novel.

Covert art also done by Yoshitoshi ABe. Hope that TP keeps it, considering I'm big enough of a fanboy to by it for that alone.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
King of Thorns sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that one.
infinitebeauty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
AQUA!
My library has all the Aria manga, and I was really disappointed when ADV stopped releasing it. Nice to know that the prequel is licensed. Still, October is a while away D:
Also, Peacemaker? Rocks. Very Happy
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorta stunned that TP is licensing the FMP novels. I say this because I figured we'd have to wait and see how Scrapped Princess sold considering how Slayers failed to sell up to their expectations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3