• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Coming to DVD in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFanboy1982

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Mephistophilus wrote:
Is there any danger of it selling out at various retailers if I don't preorder the S/LE? The box looks awesome and I'd love to be able to get it Smile Thanks in advance.

There will be only a limited quantity of the LE editions (I read around 20,000 DVD 1 LE's in another thread here, but don't take it as fact). However, as fast as these are being pre-ordered, you might be wise to order as soon as you can.
jabjal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
wihile some want the broadcast order and thats the only reason why they want LE im just good with the regular edition since i already burned the eps done by afk on to dvd which were on dvd so i not only do i jus need the regular edition i jus saved myself at least 40 bucks.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I have noticed a lot of sets that are not actually "limited" in their number, but I have seen some that are actually limited. Thanks for that number of 20k copies.

As for price... It is a tiny bit high, especially for a jobless teen like myself. However, considering the amount of stuff you get in the package, I'm sure anyone who was likely to buy the LE in the first place wouldn't mind shelling out ~45 USD for each box to satisfy their fanaticism.

After all, it was probably the true fans in the first place that were going to buy. The broadcast order is a slight issue, but I suppose if you want to watch it in that order on the regular set with some of the lists in various places. Sort of disappointing for those that don't want to pay the extra, but it's not Bandai's fault.

On a side note, just ordered 10 minutes ago Smile

Last edited by Mephistophilus on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
aluria

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
oooh! Once Amazon or C&L Multimedia puts it up, I'm going to pre-order the box set Very Happy Would order from RIght Stuf but border fees are murder Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Bandai went through the efforts to include the broadcast order to please the fans, even if they're only available in the limited editions, but I think I might stick to buying the regular editions. I've already seen the broadcast order through fansubs and the broadcast order is the only real reason why I would buy the LEs, but I just don't have the kind of money to spend on buying the LEs for the entire series at the price they're selling them at, especially when I can buy other better anime series at the same length in boxsets for cheaper prices than that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
i think I may have to buy this...

But i'm still not understanding how can they change the order of the episodes? I haven't seen Haruhi before...and if they change the number wouldn't that mess up something?

I understand that they had to change it but why was it released in that order in the frist place?

I'm so confused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reliak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

But i'm still not understanding how can they change the order of the episodes? I haven't seen Haruhi before...and if they change the number wouldn't that mess up something?

I understand that they had to change it but why was it released in that order in the frist place?

I'm so confused.

The order the episodes were aired on TV was not chronological order. They start with (chronologically) ep 11, then go to 1 and 2, then skip ahead to 7, then back to 3, then go ahead to 9, 8, 10... Basically, the climax of the series comes in episode 6, but that was the last episode to air on TV. The R2 DVDs released them in chronological order.

Personally, the reason I loved Haruhi so much WAS the whacked out order...gonna have to pick up the SEs...
uLTraCarL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
So awesome, look at all that crap in the box and the following special editions. I can't wait for this to take a spot on my shelf.

I will be waiting for DVDPacific to put it up first to see what the difference is in price from RightStuf Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
double posting!! oh wait, you posted this on your blog...nvm. >.>

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordered the SE from TRSI last night, as well. It's a shame that the broadcast order DVDs aren't dubbed, but I'm not too worried about that. With the current state of my backlog pile (plus my slow viewing habits), I'll be shuffling the chronological DVDs for the preferred (as well as dubbed) episode order by the time I get around to watching it Laughing.
chocorush

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
it seems like if you want the broadcast order, you only need to buy special editions for 2-4. Volume 1 i think is still just the regular edition.
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
That is correct. But when you buy the special edition packs, it comes with the regular DVDs AND the bonus DVDs that have the episodes in broadcast order. You can't just buy the extra DVDs. Anime hyper

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Karasuhebi wrote:
I don't have any way to actually confirm this with sources, but I really doubt that even 2% of all of the anime DVDs out there that say "Limited Edition" are actually in short supply. It's just a marketing tactic. To give you two very distinct examples, I bought a brand-new "limited edition" anime DVD that came out in 2000 about two weeks ago. And it's not some unknown anime series either. So yeah, I'm pretty sure that wasn't in short supply either.

It's generally a good idea to pre-order sets like this one if you are sure you want them, though. You can usually get the item at a discounted price if you do pre-order it.

-Karasuhebi
Funimation's LEs are notoriously limited...I've heard numbers like 7,000-10,000 thrown around, and it's pretty much impossible to find some of their Vol. 1 + Boxes for series like FMP TSR, MoonPhase, and Trinity Blood, and those only came out in the second half of 2006.

I thought about waiting for a lower price at another site, but curse it, those marketing tactics worked...I wouldn't want to miss out on it just because I wanted to save $10.
Dark Mysty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
This is a bit expensive, but I'm sure I can figure out some way to buy them all. I'm definitely getting the LE.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
fightncomet wrote:
This looks to be good. I want to support Bandai and Haruhi. However, I hope Bandai doesn't pull another fast one and change the BGM or music right before they release, just like they did with Gunbuster.

Bandai Entertainment didn't have anything to do with Gunbuster, that was Bandai Visual, a.k.a. Honnemeise (or something like that). Two separate companies.

AnimeFanboy1982 wrote:

There will be only a limited quantity of the LE editions (I read around 20,000 DVD 1 LE's in another thread here, but don't take it as fact). However, as fast as these are being pre-ordered, you might be wise to order as soon as you can.

That originated from the AoD forums from a reliable source.

britannicamoore wrote:

I'm so confused.

Haruhi was not aired in chronological order when it aired on Japanese TV. It started off with episode 00 which actually takes place around episode 11. Then it aired episodes 1 and 2, but then went to episode 7. The main plot was aired in order but other episodes that took place later were interspersed and out of order. Details on what order the episodes aired and what the chronological order is can be found here (spoiler free) While many see it as a gimmick (and to some extent it was) there is actually a basis for this in the original novels as they were somewhat out of order themselves.

While I am partial to the Broadcast Order myself and recommend people to watch it in this order if they can afford the LEs and/or wait until they have the entire series (and swap out the discs if necessary) it can still be enjoyed in order, you'll just have the main plot dealt with (but far from entirely resolved; this series only covers the first novel or two) followed by episodes that are more stand alone
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4