• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Backstage Guide to the American Anime Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamersglory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
It was neet to watch
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Not only was I unaware that Steven Foster (perhaps I should start calling him "Stevie F" not to be confused with "Stevie B") was in charge of the production, I was also unaware that he had a sense of dignity. You learn something new every day.

Perhaps the best illustration of the disconnect between merit and fan popularity is the physical award itself. It's called the "Mecha," yet not a single mecha-themed anime was even nominated to receive one. I for one would be very interested in finding out who designed the Mecha statuette itself, as I doubt that many of the presenters/winners/spectators actually know what inspired it. If you're unsure yourself, a cursory glance suggests that it appears to be an amalgamation of:

spoiler[Getter Robo's head, Mazinger's body, and Voltron's sword. I think that's it; did I miss anything?]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Although I applaud their attempt to make it less of a 'popularity contest' (I'm surprised Naruto isn't up there), it's still kinda sad...

I'm no anime critic, but even I'm surprised that Full-Metal Alchemist took home 5 Mechas....

I'm happy though, that Fruits Basket took home a Mecha for Best Manga--not only will that (hopefully) shut up the Narutards, but it's also true. I mean, Fruits Basket is a Shoujo-manga, but it's such a well-written story, even guys are reading it avidly, even though the subject matter (Tohru is in love with Kyo) wouldn't otherwise be that appealing.

I'm hoping that this goes on, and that they continue their efforts to keep it from being a mere popularity contest--if they hadn't, the only thing that Naruto wouldn't have won would be 'Best Short Comedy'.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

Perhaps the best illustration of the disconnect between merit and fan popularity is the physical award itself. It's called the "Mecha," yet not a single mecha-themed anime was even nominated to receive one.

Hahahahahahaha

"This awards show is a sham! Not one person or film named Oscar was nominated!"
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Hahahahahahaha

"This awards show is a sham! Not one person or film named Oscar was nominated!"

And an actor was nominated in the "best actor in a comedy" category for their work in "Akira"

yeah, they've got some issues with way in which the process is done, but not for the reasons AWO mentioned.

EDIT: funny part was how many in the audience thought "Akira" actually is a comedy...
appleturbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
this was a joke. I can't believe Miyazaki was not listed.

they need to change the rules to make it product that came out in X year not anything that was out in the stores, including DVD's that came out years ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1