• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
and my theory that super bloom can fix any animation mistake goes out the window...super bloom could not save the headless horseman from that garish track suit.

i am still impressed they can animate all that in a week.

fawhoooosh!
osakanodaioh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
uh, the screencaps...atleast for the Naruto one is fake. I went back and checked episode 208 and his head is there....

dont know what to make of that except someone planned a brilliant troll.

but i know, animation does decrease by alot....just...not THAT much.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
good answerman this week- i'm glad to see it wasn't just kin bashing the whole way. Looks like I owe my friend five bucks.

anyway- the screencaps are funny.

as for AMVs...they're cool by me. I feel that if I were in a band and someone put my song to some wicked animation i'd be happy. I'm sure most are. You aren't making any money and I get a few more cds sales. (i bought a few cds after I watched some good AMVs.)

The dog was cute ^^

Greg- nice rant. Seems like you were pretty pissed about something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
On the subject of AMVs, there can be some really creative ones. There's this really cool video using the Berserk manga, and the creator actually made the effort to add in really cool little animations to the static images.

Of course, there's lots of bad ones, but this is true in pretty much any medium.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
Regarding idiots who think it's their right to bootleg stuff and sublet it out to the rest of us: I know there's one group who regularly posts new anime soundtracks and JPop stuff via BitTorrent, and they're always like, "DO NOT POST THIS ANYWHERE ELSE FOR ANY REASON PERIOD OR WE WILL KILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY."

To answer capitals with capitals, "WTF?" You're ripping off artists by BTing their stuff and YOU'RE the one supposed to get pissed if someone else takes your stolen copy and posts it somewhere else? I can only shake my head in shame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yokono

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
On the subject of AMVs, there can be some really creative ones. There's this really cool video using the Berserk manga, and the creator actually made the effort to add in really cool little animations to the static images.

Of course, there's lots of bad ones, but this is true in pretty much any medium.

couldn't agree with you more dude.

Obviously though he hasn't done enough homework on this topic about amvs from the start, I think I read 3 different post similar to this and everyone thinks the RIAA will come and put an end of to amvs.

I like to ask the question WHERE is he watching his amvs. If he was looking at youtube amvs when he posting this article.

He talks about how amvs break some copy right barriers (which is nothing more than the definate truth) I never got permission from Miyazaki for making a Ghibli amv of Spirited away but then again did Sandra McMullen get the approval from the people behind Ghost in the shell to make that banner?

and while we're talking about lack of creativity. Have u ever seen flash cartoons, There swimming with the blight. I watch Happy Tree Friends, thats just about the most uncreative thing I've seen yet it knocks off of any cartoon with animals through Tiny Toons to Care bears with a dash of MTV's violent cartoon sushi And I see retarded animal babies which is just about the same thing.

If he wishes to talk about lack of creativity than he can start by complaining how humanity is the most uncreative because 1 man comes up with an idea and then we have imitators...just like religion.

I can tell by now most of people on ANN are against amvs from my take of it. there are SOME creative amvs...your just not looking in all the right places. IF your looking amvs on youtube all you will get is naruto amvs with yet another Rock Lee vs Gaara fighting to New Metal music.

I paid for my programs and my tools to make amvs with. You of all people ANN should be thanking AMV edittors cause knowing how broad your fan base is. Half of amv creators ARE your fans like it or not. So any chance a CREATIVE amv is made perhaps thats why you get a click on your add to your site to order an anime they saw.

RIAA won't be getting down on amvs for a LONG TIME not as long as bands like Linkin Park albums are being bought and used for another bleach amv.
irishninja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
I smell troll, but it'll still be fun to respond to this... Laughing

Yokono wrote:
and while we're talking about lack of creativity. Have u ever seen flash cartoons, There swimming with the blight. I watch Happy Tree Friends, thats just about the most uncreative thing I've seen yet it knocks off of any cartoon with animals through Tiny Toons to Care bears with a dash of MTV's violent cartoon sushi And I see retarded animal babies which is just about the same thing.

What? How can someone who spends time creating something new not be creative? You're countering your own argument, here. Happy Tree Friends is parody, which requires at least as much creativity as combining a song performed by someone who isn't you with animation drawn by someone who isn't you. I don't like Happy Tree Friends either, but I'm not the target audience, and obviously neither are you.

Yokono wrote:
I can tell by now most of people on ANN are against amvs from my take of it.

How long have you been reading ANN? I'd wager that most people who read this site are pro-AMV.

Yokono wrote:
I paid for my programs and my tools to make amvs with.

Good for you, but that doesn't mean you're not violating copyright. A counterfeiter who pays for his printing press is still a counterfeiter.

Yokono wrote:
You of all people ANN

ANN is not a person, it's a website.

Yokono wrote:
should be thanking AMV edittors cause knowing how broad your fan base is.

What are you trying to say here?

Yokono wrote:
Half of amv creators ARE your fans like it or not.

Only half of your AMV creators are anime fans?

Yokono wrote:
So any chance a CREATIVE amv is made perhaps thats why you get a click on your add to your site to order an anime they saw.

ANN doesn't sell anime.

Yokono wrote:
RIAA won't be getting down on amvs for a LONG TIME not as long as bands like Linkin Park albums are being bought and used for another bleach amv.

Now you're making sense. I mostly agree with you on this one. I'd also suggest that RIAA won't be getting down on AMVs for a long time because they're very likely under the organization's radar.
Space Goats

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
That is the only reason they are not going after them. Most AMVs are hard to track down by the RIAA because they do not circulate thru the same channels as other bootleg music files. The RIAA must make a calculated decision on who to pursue and who to leave alone, and it's highly unlikely that they would devote resources to stopping AMV distribution when they have their hands more than full trying to stop MP3 sharing. It just doesn't make sense. It would be like if you were getting robbed by two kids; one kid was occasionally taking a $20 out of your purse and the other was hacking into the your bank account and diverting large sums of money overseas. The best course of action of course is to slap the first kid's wrist and send 100% of your resources to stopping the second.
Moonlight Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Since confusion about copyrights is still spewing out into this thread, Zac hasn't answered anything. Yes, AMVs are illegal are about as far as the answer goes.

Zac also shouldn't be putting words in peoples' mouths about how they, record companies and the anime industry, feel about AMVs. And he was very vague about it. There are a lot of examples he could cite to make his column fair comment, but he does not. Specifically, I point you to, here, as an example.

I find it very irresponsible of him to write about a community that he doesn't seem to know much about and clearly didn't care to look into.

A quick google search could have returned results about the effects of youtube (word filtered as boochsack on AMV.org), the NYT also has a stint about Youtube, which mentions Kusoyaro, a popular video creator. (I'll post the excerpt at the bottom of this post for those who can't log in).

On the other hand, there are examples of companies and artists who have sought out AMV creators for commercial purposes as well. And companies will offer prizes for AMV contests at conventions.

So, do your readers a favour Zac, give them the full answer. As much as your opinion might be entertaining to read, a column isn't a review. You're still expected to provide some information and sources to back up what you say. And the great thing about new media is that you can provide context with a link.

And if you don't think you can answer a question fully, state that. Be responsible for your readers and urge them to find the answers themselves.

Thanks.

From the New York Times, Jan. 15, 2007.

One video posted last March, credited to Kusoyaro Productions, includes clips from the 20th Century Fox film "Napoleon Dynamite" that have been cleverly edited to create a new music video for Eminem’s song “Lose Yourself" from "8 Mile."

The two movies’ heroes couldn’t be more different: Napoleon Dynamite is an awkward teenager in rural Idaho who stuffs his pockets with tater tots, while Eminem’s character in "8 Mile" finds refuge from his trailer-park life by rapping in clubs. The video has been watched more than 60,000 times.

Ron Wheeler, a senior vice president of content protection at Fox Entertainment Group, said that even though Fox was not being paid for the right to use the "Napoleon Dynamite" clips, the company had not asked that the video be taken down.

"We are not in the business of just saying no, but we do consider it unauthorized use," Mr. Wheeler said.

He predicted, though, that the studio would be saying "no" more often in the future. Fox is working on a policy that will address the issue of mashups in a way that those creating them can understand.

"We will offer as much freedom as legally able, but at the same time it will be less than some people are doing now," Mr. Wheeler added. "It won’t be ‘anything goes.’ "

Brian Grazer, a producer of "8 Mile," said some of the mashups he had seen were "pretty hip." But he said he, too, viewed them as a form of piracy: "It bothers me artistically. Here’s this thing where you have no control; they are chopping it up and putting your memories in a blender."

Directors may have a tough time accepting the wild world of mashups, particularly those who have been given control over the final cut of their movies. Mr. Grazer said he believed that Curtis Hanson, who directed "8 Mile," would not be pleased. "Something like this drives an auteur nuts," he said. Mr. Hanson did not return calls seeking comment. Eminem, through a spokesman, declined to comment.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
osakanodaioh wrote:
uh, the screencaps...atleast for the Naruto one is fake. I went back and checked episode 208 and his head is there....

don't know what to make of that except someone planned a brilliant troll.

but i know, animation does decrease by alot....just...not THAT much.

I'm pretty sure that no one ever said what episode that screenshot was from. Confused
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
From now on, I only make videos with music that follow under the Creative Commons license. It allows me to use play and edit music as much as I want, as long as I make reference to the band and do not commercialize it for money.

As far as Youtube goes I can't stand the amv's on there anymore (oxymoron, since people put my s*** up there as well). I can't complain though, otherwise where would I watch episodes of Whose Line and Metallica's One? It's an open argument, and all I can do is make fun of everyone arguing over it. Twisted Evil

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If con is the opposite of pro, wouldn't congress be the opposite of progress? Or did I just blow your G**Damn mind?
Tsunami Jones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've seen my fair share of well-executed videos, but most of them don't have any value beyond a gimmick that you pick up on within the first few seconds. How much real honest-to-god creativity does it really take to make a connection between "Heaven is a Place on Earth" and Ah My Goddess? Yeah, OK, it's kinda fun to watch I suppose, but these are very disposable things.

I feel like pointing out that this could basically be said about any form of media. Look how many books and movies are out there. Many of them are awful, with little real quality to them. As more and more come out and are quickly produced, there will of course be more and more bad ones. AMV's aren't any different.

Quote:
aren't really all that creative.

Many aren't. However, there are a plethora that are. If you only choose to watch poor ones, then, well, darn.
Gauss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Moonlight Soldier wrote:
So, do your readers a favour Zac, give them the full answer. As much as your opinion might be entertaining to read, a column isn't a review. You're still expected to provide some information and sources to back up what you say. And the great thing about new media is that you can provide context with a link.

I can barely contain my laughter at your righteous indignation. There's hardly anything more hilarious than somebody who takes their hobby way too seriously but doesn't know they take it too seriously. Jeez, when was the last time you saw a newspaper column or editorial provide sources? Take those blinkers off and just accept that outside the AMV community few think much of those fan videos. Just because some talented people manage to make AMVs with broad appeal doesn't invalidate Sturgeon's law (90% of everything is crud, i.e. worthless).
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I synched AZ's Osaka to Larry the Cable Guy. Yeah, I'm a real f***ing Houdini. Laughing

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If con is the opposite of pro, wouldn't congress be the opposite of progress? Or did I just blow your G**Damn mind?
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
As far as AMV's go, I get a kick out of them, but I think this is also a case of the Internet making the copyright problems bigger than they were in the past.

Once upon a time, you had to go to conventions to see them, and if you were lucky, you could get tapes (remember tapes) that someone taped off the program and passed around. The distribution was limited and slow, and not much of a threat or a problem to anything. I seriously doubt anyone on a corporate level ever even heard of them, let alone saw one, let alone sued someone over them.

That's a far cry from being able to upload it and have everyone in the world see it. I think most companies are pretty forgiving about this stuff - even the mediocre ones make for good exposure (if not advertising). But companies may be inclined to protect their copyright if their properties are being portrayed in a way they don't like.

Disney is a good example of this. They are mondo protective of their characters and the way they are portrayed. They may or may not blink if if someone did a video featuring the princesses (I hate that I know to use that phrasing) with some asinine pop song, but imagine if somone did a parody video using a hardcore rap song. You know, the kind with lots of naughty words. Before you say that it would never be that big of a deal, think about something like the parody trailer of "The Shining" and how big that got.

Anime distros could do the same thing, although it seems less likey. They're pretty tolerant of that, and most conventions have a AMV competition, and I've never heard of any particular show being banned from usage. And the parody vids can be pretty funny. But who knows, if someone did a Naruto AMV to the Misfit's (or Metallica's cover of) "So What"...

Wow, that was long. I shouldn't post when I'm this tired...or maybe I should...insane ramblings can be fun to read...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10