• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime on Holocaust

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sizzlin_chiken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Was there ever an anime on the Holocaust? I was just wondering because I'm reading the book "Night" right now and it seemed really sad. I thought that if they made it into an anime then it would be really good. The emotions and suffereing that the Jews go through. Of course they'd change the plot and stuff a little but i still think that it would be a sweet series.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
I've never heard anything about a Holocaust-related anime. Although it might make for a good Grave of the Fireflies-like idea in the future, I get the feeling Japanese people are more focused on deaths closer to home . . .
sizzlin_chiken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
I've never heard anything about a Holocaust-related anime. Although it might make for a good Grave of the Fireflies-like idea in the future, I get the feeling Japanese people are more focused on deaths closer to home . . .

That could be. There have been animes where it wasn't Japanese related like Chrono Crusade. I think an anime on the Holocause wouldn't be to bad.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
Well this isn't really about the Holocaust but the Fullmetal Alchemist movie is set before the Holocaust and shows how the Nazi's came to power, although there are some differences such as there really was no Ed, Al, Hues, Shamballa, etc.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
The Adolf manga talks about it briefly, in terms of statistics.
sizzlin_chiken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Well this isn't really about the Holocaust but the Fullmetal Alchemist movie is set before the Holocaust and shows how the Nazi's came to power, although there are some differences such as there really was no Ed, Al, Hues, Shamballa, etc.

yea i realized that when spoiler[Ed was transported to the other world]
it had something to do with the Holocaust. Well a little bit at least.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
I'm sure that it would be a good topic for an anime, but don't you think Jewish people would be offended? I know there have been movies about the holocaust but an anime about it would be different...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote
what would Jews have to be offended about? Its not like it would be in support of it or anything like that. Why would an Anime be different from a movie?
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'd like to see an anime about the Holocaust. It would be like Disney trying to make their own Barefoot Gen. Considering there are only about 1,000 Jews in Japan, I don't think they'll ever be one anyway. But, if you're interested at all in an excellent graphic novel that deals with the Holocaust, I'd recommend Art Spiegelman's Maus: A Survivor's Tale.
dambuilder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
Well, there have been two anime versions of "The Diary of Anne Frank" (one tv special from 1979 and a theatrical version from the early 90's).
There *might* be some manga titles dealing with the Holocaust, simply because mangas tend to deal with virtually everything. I vaguely remember having read a very old shoujo manga title (late 60's to early 70's) which somewhat resembled the movie "Shining Through", though I can't remember whether the Holocaust was even mentioned there (but then again my Japanese was rather weak back when I - tried to - read it.)
benbboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm Jewish and if there was an anime that came out about the holocaust I definitely would Not be offended. But i think that most Jewish people would be offended. Since the holocaust was such a terrible event, and yet there are still some people who believe it is made up, Jews are very tentative and try to be friendly toward people. This is of course a generalization, but from my experience this tends to be true.
Personally I wouldn't want to buy an anime that talked only about the horrors of the holocaust, I would love for one to come about dealing with the strategy behind WWII...maybe with a main character being some soldier. Then after the battle the sightings of the death camps....that would be something that could be a good anime. But i feel as though it is more likely to turn into a documentary and a statement against the terrible deeds of WWII.

-Ben
sizzlin_chiken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
benbboy wrote:
I'm Jewish and if there was an anime that came out about the holocaust I definitely would Not be offended. But i think that most Jewish people would be offended. Since the holocaust was such a terrible event, and yet there are still some people who believe it is made up, Jews are very tentative and try to be friendly toward people. This is of course a generalization, but from my experience this tends to be true.
Personally I wouldn't want to buy an anime that talked only about the horrors of the holocaust, I would love for one to come about dealing with the strategy behind WWII...maybe with a main character being some soldier. Then after the battle the sightings of the death camps....that would be something that could be a good anime. But i feel as though it is more likely to turn into a documentary and a statement against the terrible deeds of WWII.

-Ben

Hmm that would be good if the main character was a soldier that helped liberate the Jews. It wouldn't be too bad then.
The Punisher.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
An animated film about Chiune Sugihara is going to made with a 2008 release in mind. That is what I heard, anyway. I haven't delved into it, but that is what I saw on Wiki(not the best source ever, I know).

If you don't know who he is(was):

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/sugihara.html
sizzlin_chiken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
The Punisher. wrote:
An animated film about Chiune Sugihara is going to made with a 2008 release in mind. That is what I heard, anyway. I haven't delved into it, but that is what I saw on Wiki(not the best source ever, I know).

If you don't know who he is(was):

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/sugihara.html

Interesting, that may actually be really good.
Obaa-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
There was a comics on the holocaust, which did not meet with too much jewish objection. Heres a link from wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus
[/url]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2