• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime on Holocaust

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:41 am Reply with quote
well an anime is different from a real life movie because it is animated. A lot of people think that the animation of something important can be a bit offending - like that time when an editorial cartoon showing allah (not sure) came out. The muslims got really mad about it. I thought that might happen as well.
Also I heard that a lot of people who lived through the holocaust do not really like to talk about what they went through - I mean, who would want to relive something like that anyway?
That's just what I think though. I am not Jewish, so I can't speak for them or anyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote
well actually it was the prophet muhamed, not allah. Also, I think the issue was them making fun of or even just showing him. It would have been considered equally offensive if it were live action.

I do see what youre saying. I can see where some Jews might find it offensive, however I think it wouldnt really be justified and would simply stem from the miscoceptions about Anime being the same as a "cartoon".
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought Infinite Ryvius played out in a similar fashion to the book "Night." It doesn't actually have anything to do with the Holocaust, but it's about children being forced into a chaotic environment, which causes them to mature beyond their age. If you're read Night and saw Infinite Ryvius, you might be able to spot the similarities.
consilience

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe there are many Jews living in Japan, this is probably the reason.

However, there are plenty of Anime's with post-apocalyptic themes related to the travesties that occurred at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
ScarletBlade150

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I'm sure that it would be a good topic for an anime, but don't you think Jewish people would be offended? I know there have been movies about the holocaust but an anime about it would be different...

Actually, I'm of German-Jewish decent and I love watching people's veiws of the Holocaust. I'd love it if they did make one. I've seen many documentaries and movies, such as The Boy in The Striped Pajamas and The Diary Of Anne Frank, but I'd enjoy an anime. Especially if it's about someone in the camp. I lost my Great Aunt to a death camp and would like to see Japan's take and View on any of the camps. Perferrably, Bergen-Belson or Auschwitz. Anime smallmouth
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
^
Start a new thread. Don't disinter something that's ten years old.

Locking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2