• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-16]

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoochy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ugh. I don't know where this whole, "anime is a privelege, and as such we shouldn't have to pay for it!" comes from.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Great job once again Answerman, I am really glad you have banner contest going because that Gundam Seed was pretty sweet. Also as for the people who think they are actual characters or whatever in 5 to 10 years the people will think back and say wow that was pretty dumb and chuckle about it.

smoocy wrote:
Ugh. I don't know where this whole, "anime is a privelege, and as such we shouldn't have to pay for it!" comes from.

I don't understand either. I don't know why people think anime should be free like air. Basically having an internet connection could be considered a Luxury in many countries, so please be happy you can get clean water from your sinks and have food to eat and a roof above your head.....there's millions of people who don't have that.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
konosuke15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Great job once again Answerman, I am really glad you have banner contest going because that Gundam Seed was pretty sweet. Also as for the people who think they are actual characters or whatever in 5 to 10 years the people will think back and say wow that was pretty dumb and chuckle about it.

That may be, but i want to see this 'proof' they are talking about. Just to laugh at them and at the poorly doctored video.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
While the guy before seemed actually serious (and deluded), this one is pretty much definitely a troll of sorts.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
... And I thought MY friends took anime too seriously, good grief. I hope this phenomenon doesn't spread like a physical disease (or the Numa Numa song...) Rolling Eyes
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
I always thought those people saying they had anime powers were just screwing with everyone. This makes me more disappointed with the internet than I already was.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
This "Otakukin" thing sounds a lot like Scientology, which is actually considered a religion but it pretty much the exact same damn thing.

No, I'm not making anti-comments about the religion, it just really does work that way.

*cough*SpaceWalrus*cough*
Animedude35

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
HAHAHA for once, this edition of Answerman is great. I mean, these kids need to get a clue that anime and any form of fantasy is fiction. I didn't think this would be a serious issue, but from 2 letters and then some, I'm starting to become scared of the next generation of anime fans coming up into the world.

Cosplay is one thing, but to actually believe you can transform into magical girls or do a rasengan from naruto is crazy.

On the fansub debate yet again, I truly believe that if you are from another country that struggles with putting food on the table and having a roof to live under, the last thing on your families mind is anime and manga...
JustSomeguy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
As the greatest philosopher of our time, Bender, said:

"I guess reality is what you make of it..."
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
OK it was funny at first but after reading those quotes I am seriously disturbed that type of fandom exists. I mean Trekiies or whatver don't even take it that far. It's a pretty scary thing for me anyway. I mean sure there's role play but how extreme can you get? I guess I'm just too uninformed on the strange things on the internet (maybe for the better too)

Even if anime characters were to reincarnate into real life you'd think they'd choose a better host than some weirdo who lives in his parent's basement. How can you save the world in that position?
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
Haaaaaaaaaaaa Otakukin... I learned something today! Thanks, Answerman!

Although that gets kind of scary... weren't there a bunch of Russian kids who jumped off a building and died because they thought they were flying Pokemon a while back? *scaryyyyyy*
Abarenbo Shogun

Why do I have this sinking feeling some Furry that thinks he's the "real" Sajin Komamura or she's the "real" Felicia (If you don't know, Wikipedia it) and is gonna write in claiming "Fursecution?"
Ryvius213

The "I'm a ninja" jokes were funny before, but now it's just getting on my nerves. It was pretty funny before with this random kid making a fool of himself, but you know something's wrong when some other random kid backs the kid up and starts preaching about accepting the "gifted ones." Seriously, if shows like Sailor Moon and Naruto weren't around, these people wouldn't even say that they have powers they saw on these series.

Anyway, about the intelligent parts of this column:

Naruto is aimed at children, so I wouldn't be surprised if Viz actually aired at least some of these episodes for the marketing value. I'd expect their uncut filler DVD's to drop in sales compared to non-filler DVD's, though.

I don't really support either side of the fansub controversey. I don't think EVERYONE should buy DVD's for every series they like, but I don't think people who can afford the DVD's should take fansubs just because it's free, either. I buy a lot of anime DVD's, but that's mainly because I can afford it. If I was dirt poor, then I'd probably end up on the other side of the law. However, there's also a lot of unlicensed series that are quite enjoyable, so I pick those up before I think about licensed series. Just my two cents.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
... And I thought MY friends took anime too seriously, good grief. I hope this phenomenon doesn't spread like a physical disease (or the Numa Numa song...) Rolling Eyes

Hey, that's a good song....

*cough* Anyway, I'm surprised that there are communities for the Otakukin. (hurray new vocabulary word!). I worry that they will now be attacked violently. Usually kind understanding is what's best for delusions right? If that doesn't work, they could always hook up with those people who want to marry anime characters.

The "omg! I wants to be a voice actors" questions get really tiresome, but at least this person had some coherency about them. I'm still amazed how many people seem to think of voice acting as some amazing job and they want to do it when they've never expressed any interest in acting before. Most voice actors I've talked with at conventions are stage or independent film or commercial actors first. They then hear about an audtion from a fellow member of the industry and then sometimes they get lucky and start voice acting. It's true that there are some definate difference between stage acting, film acting and voice acting, but you still have to act. So sign up for drama classes and stuff if you are truly interested! Wow, did that just turn into a mini-rant....

As for Naruto, all I can say is, I'm certianly going to halt my DVD buying when those fillers finally hit over here. But I doubt that the unedited only idea would fly. I've seen lots of little kids (boys mostly) in giant corporation store X and giant corporation store Y oogling cards and such. I'm not sure their mom's and dad's would be as keen to buy something with a big "unedited" label on it, even if they might not see the differences as that severe. There's a certian connotation to that word that doesn't say "buy me for your 10 year old!" And while I haven't seen sales figures, I know that some of those unedited DVDs are definately being sold. Can the same be said of the unedited?

And finally, in response to the rant, I know that movie reviewers watch a lot more movies than the average person, and I imagine the same can be said about anime reviewers, thus a lot more things are liable to bore them. So I can understand why they say things are cliche, so I usually just take a step back and try to focus on the rest of the review and decide for myself if the plot line is something I've seen too many times. I can watch harem shows and magical girl shows til the cows come home, but it had better be something special if you are going to have me watch a sports anime.

Last edited by SoloButterfly on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
On the topic of the rant...I think there are two types of cliche that the ranter doesn't seem to have the ability to detect.

Let me present several examples: Look at Ergo Proxy, which I find to be an excellent anime (some may disagree, but whatever). This anime has so many elements that have been used before: domed cities that shelter humans from the dying environment, androids, etc...yet the writing is solid and the story is intriguing enough that it outgrows that which makes it cliche.

Let's take a look now at something like Air Gear. I read the review of it here on ANN recently, and having seen several episodes fansubbed, I found myself agreeing with most of what was said: the show is horrendously cliche; however, it also fails in that its writing is bland and its characters seems to be there for fanservice rather than to be interesting. I know of people who like Air Gear, and I guess in that "I don't want to watch a thinking anime" way, it's enjoyable. However, I don't think any anime that you have to view in that sort of mood can really be considered "great" per se.

Then we have things like Chevalier D'Eon which is, for the most part, a superbly written anime that is full of so much originality and style that hasn't really been seen before that it's hard to not to be interested in it.

That's my little counter-rant. It's not being cliche that makes a show exceedingly bad; it's that the show doesn't know how to exceed the boundary that being cliche poses.

Also, I now hate the word "cliche."

Last edited by Cowboy Cadenza on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 29