• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Claymore: Worth Reading (See 1st Post For Thread Info)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
So, I finally got to reading this series. To me it looks like a good series with the potential to turn out great. It already has me caught into it's storyline to want to read more of it to find out what will happen to everybody. From what I've read so far (vol 7) it seems to be like Berserk in a way, but definetly toned down.

Because you have first arc where the character comes in, you see the personality of the character, and then what happens after a battle, they move on. Then they go into an arc that is a flashback, showing a person or people who made an impact on the protaginists life, and why they are what they are in the present. And in both cases of Claymore and Berserk, there is a great tragedy that happens in the past. Finally we have gotten out of the past and come back to the present, where the main character is looking to survive and how to get stronger. And they have to find ways of doing that, be it training or something else. On another note the time setting of both stories seems to be around the same era.

Good artwork, a good storyline that is leaning towards great storyline, and lots of potential. Definetly worth a read and I'm going to try and more of these volumes very quickly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm kind of bored, so I'm going to start doing statistics and links for this thread, hopefully to garner attention for this wonderful series, hope you all enjoy!!

Thread Started: 3-3-07
Current Lifespan of Thread: 3 months 5 days
Current Length of Thread: 14 pages
Number of Users: 20 (As of page 14)

Thread Links:
Page 5
Page 10

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:31 am; edited 4 times in total
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
From what I'v seen/heard of it, it looks amazing. I really want to get my hands on some of these books. Unfortunatly manga is hard to come by where I live. Ill have to check it out the next time Im somewhere that has a Chapters. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
From what I'v seen/heard of it, it looks amazing. I really want to get my hands on some of these books. Unfortunatly manga is hard to come by where I live. Ill have to check it out the next time Im somewhere that has a Chapters. :/
You can't order online? (Not being sarcastic, just curious why this isn't an option.)

I got into Claymore after a chance purchase of Shounen Jump here in the states gave me an opportunity to read the first chapter as a preview. The way that first chapter presented Clare, so emotionally cool and yet so lonely, I instantly fell for the character and I've been buying the volumes ever since. (The last image of her leaving and Raki thanking her is great.)

Even started a discussion thread on the manga a while back but it died for lack of people's discussions. Sad

Anyway, the art and the story drew me in and each new twist and revelation has me more interested. This series feels like it's working toward an epic confrontation between Clare and spoiler[Priscilla] somewhere down the road and I can't wait to see spoiler[how becoming an awakened being] has truly changed Clare. Also, I love how Raki has so little combat skill but he refuses to back down no matter how out-matched he is. You have to admire that devotion.

Still haven't decided whether he's devoted to Clare like a brother or something a little more romantic. (His words at the end of the arc in the Holy City seemed to lean toward emotional love but that could just be my interpretation.)

Also, I like how the Claymore warriors are portrayed. It reminds me a little of how Bleach handles the soul reapers. Each has unique abilities as well standard powers.

The anime will be something to see too, considering Madhouse is doing it and damn does Clare look cool on the encyclopedia entry.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been interested in Claymore for a while as I've heard good things about it and sounds like it has at least a decent story, but I'm not particularly fond of the art style (or at least what I've seen of it) and now I'm even more concerned about starting since the magazine it runs in is getting cancelled and I'm not sure if its getting transferred to another one.

I still intend to look into the manga at some point after I've finished a decent chunk of my current load. I plan to watch at least part of the anime and how much I like that will help me determine whether or not to get the manga at some point.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You can't order online? (Not being sarcastic, just curious why this isn't an option.)

I cant order online because I dont have a credit card, or a bank account that works with paypal :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
now I'm even more concerned about starting since the magazine it runs in is getting cancelled and I'm not sure if its getting transferred to another one.
It's probably got a fair chance of being picked up by another magazine given it's apparent popularity. Anime there, license here, that's got to count for something. (I hope.)

The art style of Claymore is a tad unusual. It sort of resembles old woodcuts from Europe. (At least, I think it does.) There's a distinctly angular harshness to it. Personally, I rather like it but that's just me. The story is solid, though the narrative format is very short arc driven after the first volume. The arcs each address a specifc mission or incident, with the Teresa arc that starts in Volume 3 probably being the most important so far.

If you don't really care about the characters after finishing the Darkness in Paradise arc you should probably drop it, but I'd stick around until finishing the Teresa of the Faint Smile arc. It is a very important story.

Eruanna: Lack of credit card is a major annoyance isn't it? It took me a couple of years to finally get one. Paypal's only really useful for eBay in my opinion.

Have you tried using someone else on the board as a buyer on your behalf?
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been following this series for a while now, & whilst it isn't the deepest manga series I've ever come across, I love the gore-splattered monster bashing depicted within.

I wasn't all that enamoured by the artwork to begin with; it didn't look very polished, & some of the character stances looked unnatural, but as I've progressed through the volumes (currently on volume 6), I've come to like the artist's distinctive designs.

On a side note, the anime series is starting soon in Japan, & I'm looking forward to seeing how well it will be transfered; the monster battles have the potential to look absolutely amazing. Anime catgrin
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I got into Claymore after a chance purchase of Shounen Jump here in the states gave me an opportunity to read the first chapter as a preview. The way that first chapter presented Clare, so emotionally cool and yet so lonely, I instantly fell for the character and I've been buying the volumes ever since. (The last image of her leaving and Raki thanking her is great.)

This is actually the same thing that happened for me getting into the series. I've read all of the U.S. released volumes thus far except for volume 6 (my local Barnes & Noble still hasn't gotten it in yet), but that's as far as I've read, seing as how I have absolutely no way of reading it straight out of Japan. Guess I'll just have to stay away from spoilers. Wink

Anyways, pretty much the same reasons why I like it are the same reasons already mentioned. Outstanding artwork, great monster battle sequences, good story. I definitely like the flashback comparison between Clare/Raki and (can't remember what her name is right now)/Clare, and how that flashback directly gives you a look as to why Clare is who she is and why she does what she does.

Also can't wait for the anime to come out. Definitely got to watch that one! Very Happy
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll prolly watch the anime coming out soon. I can't afford to pick up ANOTHER series at the moment, and I already own all the Berserk graphic novels thusfar released by DH. Smile
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
I actually kind of liked the preview that they put in the Shonen Jump magazine, but I have been far too preoccupied by other series, and I didn't think it seemed that good. Yet, since you're drawing a comparison to Berserk, it makes me want to read it more! I tend to stay away from most Jump titles because of bad translations and ridiculously long series (there are few exceptions I allow against this rule, ie Berserk). So the question that I have is that is it really worth all the money for the series? And is it really only 11 volumes long like the Encyclopedia says? If it's only 11, I may give it a chance, but I'd like some more convincing on your part.... Anime smallmouth
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:31 am Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
I actually kind of liked the preview that they put in the Shonen Jump magazine, but I have been far too preoccupied by other series, and I didn't think it seemed that good. Yet, since you're drawing a comparison to Berserk, it makes me want to read it more! I tend to stay away from most Jump titles because of bad translations and ridiculously long series (there are few exceptions I allow against this rule, ie Berserk). So the question that I have is that is it really worth all the money for the series? And is it really only 11 volumes long like the Encyclopedia says? If it's only 11, I may give it a chance, but I'd like some more convincing on your part.... Anime smallmouth

Well, the series was being run by a monthly release magazine until it got cancelled, but they're going to try and run it in the magazine replacing the old one. As far as I know, I have seen the eleven books on the shelves of book stores. I've only read up to volume 7, but the way the series is going I want to be as updated as I can, because it's getting to the point where it's more than just fighting demons and revenge.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Well, the series was being run by a monthly release magazine until it got cancelled, but they're going to try and run it in the magazine replacing the old one. As far as I know, I have seen the eleven books on the shelves of book stores. I've only read up to volume 7, but the way the series is going I want to be as updated as I can, because it's getting to the point where it's more than just fighting demons and revenge.

Well, what's the story really like? Is it mediocre at best or is there more to be found in it than your standard series? I don't mind what every says about the art style...I'm actually quite fond of uniquely styled art work. But if there are great characters and situations to be found, I'm up for it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Well, what's the story really like? Is it mediocre at best or is there more to be found in it than your standard series? I don't mind what every says about the art style...I'm actually quite fond of uniquely styled art work. But if there are great characters and situations to be found, I'm up for it.

I think that there is a very good lead up to how we find out about the main character's past and why she is what she is in the present. And the battles that ensue within the later part of the series make more interesting and make you want to read more to find out what happens. I like it.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

I think that there is a very good lead up to how we find out about the main character's past and why she is what she is in the present. And the battles that ensue within the later part of the series make more interesting and make you want to read more to find out what happens. I like it.

Well....maybe I'll go ahead and pick up the first volume and see how I like it. Anime smallmouth
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
Ok, after reading this thread I went back to my box "manga to read" Rolling Eyes Embarassed where I had the first four volumes of Claymore. I thought why not since it caused some discussion at least and it amazed me to see an interesting story which keeps me alert and which draws me back again and again.

I have finished only the first four volumes (with more to come) Embarassed and I think that it's definetly a story not to miss (with lots of potential cause I haven't finished Teresa of the Faint Smile arc yet, Richard J. Wink ) and I'm dying to know what's happening next. Being also a fan of Berserk (unusual, I know) I think that this resembles in a way to the story of Claymore. What attracted me the most about this manga was the fact that the character designs are different and there's a certain distinctive air about the art work which makes it quite interesting.

Therefore from my small preview of what is to come I would definetly say that this is something to remember. And to follow as well, since I'm curious to see how anime might turn out to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 29