• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Coming To Hollywood

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Is this the motion picture that the Tokoypop advertisment was talking about? In the graphic novel vol 1 of FLCL, back in the advertisments, there is an advertisment for Lupin III manga and below says Motion Picture in 2004. Or are they talking about one of the anime movies themselves?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:22 pm Reply with quote
It's the live-action one supposed to be out in 2006, despite what TP said.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Speilberg!?

There is a God!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm in no way bashing this idea, and it certainly seems more "solid" than the silly "Peter Jackson will direct the live-action Evangelion" rumour, I am just hoping Spielberg will direct at least one more film based on a completely original screenplay he wrote himself before he retires a decade or two from now... since his last completely original film, not based on an existing work, was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in 1989.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:21 am Reply with quote
And just what was wrong with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?! I love that movie!
Lamia Mistral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Nothing was said bad about the film. The post was asking for more films from original scripts from Spielberg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Erm... I loved Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade too. There's nothing in what I wrote remotely implying a negatvie opinion of Last Crusade, just that it was the last Spielberg movie not based on an existing work (aside from being a sequel).

Oh wait... I was wrong, Close Encounters of the Third Kind (still, one of my favourite films) was his only post-Jaws film that he both wrote and directed, unless you count Poltergeist as a film he directed when Tobe Hooper was too stoned. Well, nothing wrong with that, considering a lot of successful directors never write, I just hope he has one more film in him as personal as CEot3K.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animaniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:04 pm Reply with quote
i think that would be cool spielbergh i just hope its a great 70s style action movie close to the anime. hope its out in 04 instead of 06 and on video with good actors and just a good movie spielbergh behind it it should be Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It's not going to come out in 2004, not if they're this early in pre-production. It takes a while to shoot and edit these things, especially if it involves globetrotting, going to a whole bunch of different locations.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, in theory it COULD come out in 2004 IF they fast-track the picture RIGHT NOW and shoot on a soundstage for four-eight weeks. But that's really unlikely.

Anyway, to me this is seems like Spielberg is confirming that age-old rumor about him watching Castle of Cagliostro at (I believe) the Venice Film Festival and enjoying it a great deal. Spielberg helming the project would pretty much INSURE the picture to be a huge success.

But he'd better not start this until Indy 4 is finished. I've got MY priorities straightened out, he should too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac: I remember when that red-headed dumbass at AICN had the audacity to claim that Temple of Doom was better than the Last Crusade! Sorry, but kids suck in Star Wars, and they sucked in Indiana Jones as well!
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I actually look a lot like Harry Knowles (but thinner...sadly not that much thinner). Of course, I doubt he's got a Fedora.

Delthayre, cool because he has a hat.

And indeed, Temple of Doom was hobbled by the loathsome presence of child actors. And The Last Crusade had THE SEAN, who brings a whole dimension of coolness to any movie he's in. Indeed, THE SEAN is the only reason I only removed my left I with a rusty knife after seeing The League of Extrordinary Gentlemen instead of outright blowing my own head off.
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:24 am Reply with quote
Indeed, the SEAN and Ford could buddy up in a new Lupin the 6th film. Full filling the wish to give monkey punch a fit about rip offs. You could set it in Neu Tokyo on Mars, where Indiana has come to 'liberate' John Carter's grave (the Martian, not the tv astronauts). It could work too, after all they drank from the Holy Grail and should live a very long time.
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:57 am Reply with quote
Spielberg is a wonderful director, Im very eager to see what he will do with Lupin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Speilberg didn't write Last Crusade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2