• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Results of Japan's First Ever Seiyuu Awards Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
This is really awesome. I wish they had started this way earlier -- my knowledge of seiyuu mostly covers just the 90s and maybe early '00s... Only like three of those names are familiar; such as Akira Ishida for being such a long standing presence in anime. Still, it's a very cool idea that I hope keeps going!

I was gonna say something in reply regarding Megumi Hayashibara, but I think larinon covered it well. She's a terrific actress, but she is nowhere near as prominent and active today as she once was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Madame Bunni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
You've gotta be kidding me. Has it really been that long since I've seen any new anime? I mean, where the hell are all of the voice actors I grew up with? Did they retire?! Even the English VA's are doing nothing but half-assed craptacular cartoons that nobody watches unless they wake up at 6:00 in the morning to get ready for preschool!

I feel so OLD! I don't recognize ANY of the seiyuu there (except Akira Ishida, whom I adore to DEATH), and although I'm not too fond of Megumi, there, at least I know who the hell she is! Anime hyper I used to love seiyuu (even went out of my way to buy their own solo cd's.....damn near obsessed, I was), but....who are these people! Anime hyper;;

Man, time sure does fly.
Horitsuba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Yay for Jun~ :D

He deserved that. I absolutely love his voice acting.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:33 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Jun Fukuyama there. His performance as Lelouch impresses the hell out of me, if that's a valid expression.
XCTU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Thanks to saorren for finding it out. Apparently I didn't look hard enough. Embarassed

quigonkenny wrote:
And she was totally shafted in the best musical performance.

While I praise her acting, her singing is no match for Nana Mizuki, who was born in a Enka family and learned how to sing about the same time she learned how to walk. If you have heard Hirano singing live you'd know her weaknesses: she's way too thin to provide sufficient air flow for her voice.

I'm gonna have to agree 100%.

I can't say since i haven't seen Aya Hirano live yet, but having seen Nana Mizuki live, her voice sounds soooo good. It sounds so close to the recordings, and yeah, she was a singer long before she was a voice actress. Nana deserves to win the music awards hands down, and i personally feel Nana is a better singer than voice actress, tho she's incredibly talented in both.

Aya Hirano tho, while being an amazing VA and an excellent singer, has the help of digital recording. I've seen a couple vids of Aya Hirano doing performances live, and while it wasnt terrible, i dunno, she didn't sound as good as she does in the recording. Nana sounds amazingly good either way.

Dont get me wrong, i dont dislike Aya Hirano, she's my 2nd favorite VA after Nana, and i have all her CDs, its just that i feel like Nana is the better singer, and she has FAR more experience, having been releasing CD's since 2000 as opposed to Aya's first release in 2006 (with Breakthrough).

Yeah, i agree with these awards tho, i think the winners all deserved their spots for sure.
wolfx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote
XCTU wrote:

Aya Hirano tho, while being an amazing VA and an excellent singer, has the help of digital recording. I've seen a couple vids of Aya Hirano doing performances live, and while it wasnt terrible, i dunno, she didn't sound as good as she does in the recording. Nana sounds amazingly good either way.

You're right. She definately is rough around the edges and doesn't feel like she has enough experience below the belt as a singer/idol though they're marketing her towards that. I've seen her once live during Wonderfest, jumping about and dancing "Bouken Deshou Deshou" and "Lost My Music" and she did went off key on numerous occasions. But of course the fans cheered her on. Wink

Besides singing live isn't easy. What with jumping about and getting stage jitters etc.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
What the heck is the Synergy Award? Do they mean the general cast was good? Well, Pokemon got something.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
To ZeroRyoko1974: Megumi Hayashibara was nominated for "Best Personality" (performance in radio, web radio, and TV programs featuring themselves instead of their characters) for her program, Hayashibara Megumi no Heartful Station.

kurotsuki wrote:
why hasn't Noto Mamiko won anything ? Crying or Very sad

She was nominated for best actress (as Masane Amaha in Witchblade) and best supporting actress (as Yakumo Tsukamoto in School Rumble Nigakki).

Asrialys wrote:
What the heck is the Synergy Award? Do they mean the general cast was good? Well, Pokemon got something.

This nomenclature confused me too. According to the official site:

Quote:
1997年4月に放送開始された「ポケットモンスター」のアニメーションは、今年10周年を迎えます。映画における過去9作品の累計興行成績は414億円という驚異的な数字を記録。また国外でも高い評価を受け、テレビシリーズは68カ国+2地域で放送されています。(06年5月現在)。日本のアニメーション史を変えるきっかけとなったこの作品、そして支え続けてきた声優陣に、第一回のシナジー賞を贈ります。

In summary, it says that ten Pokemon movies have earned a total 41.4 billion Yen box office, with TV series broadcasting in 68 countries and two regions (as of May 2006). It changed the history of Japanese animation, so the first Synergy Award goes to Pokemon and all seiyuu behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Go Park Romi and Hirano Aya!

And yeah for Pokemon winning Synergy! *pokedork*
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Quote:
1997年4月に放送開始された「ポケットモンスター」のアニメーションは、今年10周年を迎えます。映画における過去9作品の累計興行成績は414億円という驚異的な数字を記録。また国外でも高い評価を受け、テレビシリーズは68カ国+2地域で放送されています。(06年5月現在)。日本のアニメーション史を変えるきっかけとなったこの作品、そして支え続けてきた声優陣に、第一回のシナジー賞を贈ります。

In summary, it says that ten Pokemon movies have earned a total 41.4 billion Yen box office, with TV series broadcasting in 68 countries and two regions (as of May 2006). It changed the history of Japanese animation, so the first Synergy Award goes to Pokemon and all seiyuu behind it.

So basically, they meant "synergy" by its general popularity all around the world? Neat!

EDIT: Just noticed that a small description of the Synergy Award came before the list of winners in the ANN article.

Last edited by Asrialys on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It'd be interesting to know how the nominees were selected & who voted.
Is this like the Oscars-industry?
Or is it more People's choice where the public is voting?
Or even more specific-like a particular magazine poll?

I don't read Japanese.....
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
It'd be interesting to know how the nominees were selected & who voted.
Is this like the Oscars-industry?
Or is it more People's choice where the public is voting?
Or even more specific-like a particular magazine poll?

too tired to paraphrase so let me just quote someone

Quote:
I still don't know who was on the jury, but here is some info from 2channel about the organizing committee for the whole process: the chairman is from the seiyuus' association but works for the 81 Produce agency, which represents two of the winners. The vice-chair works for the Tokyo Anime Center (on whose radio show Miyata is a personality) and for Shogakkan publishers. Other members are from: Kadokawa (which publishes Suzumiya Haruhi), Bunka Broadcasting (which broadcasts Asano Masumi's show), Tokyo University of Technology (2), Tokyo Anime Center (3), and one more each from Bunka, Kadokawa, and 81 Produce.

The dance of corporate back-patting was probably involved, but I think they balanced it fairly well with straight merit. Many people associated with all those organizations did not win, too. And I don't see a rep of Aoni, the agency that had three winners.

Sakurai is supposedly a shoo-in (especially since he is one of 81 Produce's biggest assets) to win because of his popularity but most likely didn't after his career has been marred by a very recent controversy. another surprise for me is "best new male" which i thought would have gone to Miyano Mamoru after having done two polar characters in the same year (Ouran High School Host Club's Tamaki and Death Note's Raito... consider his older role of Kiba from Wolf's Rain too). also surprised Sugita Tomokazu didn't get any considering Haruhi's popularity. and LOL at Suzumura Kenichi's Shinn Asuka being beaten out by secondary characters to his series.

anyway, here's a picture of the winners for anyone interested
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20070303/seiyu01.jpg
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
She was nominated for best actress (as Masane Amaha in Witchblade) and best supporting actress (as Yakumo Tsukamoto in School Rumble Nigakki).
I must learn Japanese. The links make me go Confused

Nice to know she was nominated at least. Can't say anything about her performance in School Rumble since I haven't seen any of that yet but I did see some of Witchblade (decided to preview a few episodes since I knew it was coming over eventually.) and she did very well I thought.

Still, I'm curious as to why they'd nominate her for one of those roles as opposed to Enma Ai in Jigoku Shoujo or Limone* in Simoun. Ai is a much more important character and (at least from what I've seen of the Amaha character) far more difficult to portray. Limone's an excellent supporting player for the first half of Simoun, having several important scenes and overall impact.

Maybe if I could read Japanese I'd understand their logic better but their choice of roles to nominate her for seems odd to me.

*In the Encyclopedia entry for Simoun, the character's name is listed as Rimone. However, I have primarily seen it elsewhere as Limone and it sounds like Limone in the anime so that's what I'm going with.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Madame Bunni wrote:
You've gotta be kidding me. Has it really been that long since I've seen any new anime? I mean, where the hell are all of the voice actors I grew up with? Did they retire?! Even the English VA's are doing nothing but half-assed craptacular cartoons that nobody watches unless they wake up at 6:00 in the morning to get ready for preschool!

I feel so OLD! I don't recognize ANY of the seiyuu there (except Akira Ishida, whom I adore to DEATH), and although I'm not too fond of Megumi, there, at least I know who the hell she is! Anime hyper I used to love seiyuu (even went out of my way to buy their own solo cd's.....damn near obsessed, I was), but....who are these people! Anime hyper;;

Man, time sure does fly.

Haha, I feel the exact same way. I was a total seiyuu wh*re back in the day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
We're still totally into seiyuu, and although there are many newbies in the list, I knew most of them. Yay for Tomiyama Kei getting the Special Achievement Award! I wanted Suzuoki Hirotaka to get it, but this is definitely great as well. Congratulations to everybody who won and got nominated! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3