• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA new licenses and distribution deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Wtf? I would rather have Galaxy Angel AA or X... This really came out of nowhere and surprised me... I suppose I am happy about it though.

It's one thing if Bandai has decided just to not release the rest of it, but it's another thing that they haven't said anything about it. I think that's just making me more angry about it than just if they decided to stop. You think after a year they could give some kind of confirmation about it. If someone decided to license Rune though, maybe there is some hope for AA and X. I'm just wondering why Bandai is being so lazy about saying anything.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Now that wasn't confusing at all, was it?

No, not at all. Razz

Even though they share the same name, they're separate companies where the licensee has to pay fees. It's not like Nintendo where it's the same company with each subsidiary having their own acquisitions and release schedules.

As for Galaxy Angel AA and X, I'm thinking Bandai Entertainment has an option on that. In other words, they probably weren't available to BVUSA.
.hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote
J Dude wrote:
It's one thing if Bandai has decided just to not release the rest of it, but it's another thing that they haven't said anything about it. I think that's just making me more angry about it than just if they decided to stop. You think after a year they could give some kind of confirmation about it.

I e-mailed Bandai during September, 2006 to inquire about Galaxy Angel AA, and the response was as quote "We are planning to release Galaxy Angel AA sometime next year. Please check back on our website for any new release announcements." I'm presuming they mean 2007....

I sent another e-mail yesterday to see if there have been any updates for either series.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I still do not fully understand this business with Bandai Visual USA and Bandai Entertainment being different companies, though; will someone elaborate? As in, are both of those American subsidiary of Namco-Bandai holdings? If so, why wouldn't Bandai license out to a sister corporation?

Bandai Visual was once a subsidiary of Bandai Japan, but a few years back Bandai Visual was turned into a public company.

Although they share the same name, Bandai Visual USA and Bandai Entertainment are competitors.

There is still a lot of cooperation between Bandai Co. and Bandai Visual (I believe that Bandai Co. is still a major shareholder in BV), so sometimes BEI and BVUSA also cooperate, but there's no rule that they must work together, they just do it when it's beneficial for both of them.

-t

edit: Wow, someone just showed me the wikipedia page for Bandai Visual, it's horribly wrong....
MrSir115

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
.hacker wrote:
J Dude wrote:
It's one thing if Bandai has decided just to not release the rest of it, but it's another thing that they haven't said anything about it. I think that's just making me more angry about it than just if they decided to stop. You think after a year they could give some kind of confirmation about it.

I e-mailed Bandai during September, 2006 to inquire about Galaxy Angel AA, and the response was as quote "We are planning to release Galaxy Angel AA sometime next year. Please check back on our website for any new release announcements." I'm presuming they mean 2007....

I sent another e-mail yesterday to see if there have been any updates for either series.

Galaxy Angel AA is supposed to be released sometime this year
The rest of Galaxy Angel S will be with it on the last volume of the DVD

As far as Galaxy Angel X, I have no idea yet.
aluria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy Freedom got licensed, the first episode was quite interesting Smile I love the opening cinematics switching between animation and live aciton was done really well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gary leeman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of the politics involved, hopefully this agreement will see to better packaging and distribution.
We all know the problems Bandai has had with their packaging... (although I'm not sure which were Entertainment and which were Visual USA)
In any event, it seems like Geneon has a stronger ability to distribute.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Wow, someone just showed me the wikipedia page for Bandai Visual, it's horribly wrong....

Yeah, almost everything on Wikipedia about Japanese companies is wrong or has ridiculously useless data.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
gary leeman wrote:
Regardless of the politics involved, hopefully this agreement will see to better packaging and distribution.
We all know the problems Bandai has had with their packaging... (although I'm not sure which were Entertainment and which were Visual USA)
In any event, it seems like Geneon has a stronger ability to distribute.

Distribution has nothing to do with packaging. That won't change. Distribution is simply getting it to the stores.

Also, this only affects Bandai Visual (a.k.a. Honnemeise or however its spelled) they have only released a few titles, namely the Patlabor re-releases and Gunbuster. I don't think they've released anything else yet.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the clarification Tempest. I never really understood how the two companies were related. The initial article was not too clear about this and many people here think it is referring to BE. The three Bandai Visual box sets are gorgeous and are unlike anything I've seen (maybe the Samurai 7 boxes) released in the States. I agree that they should release two versions like the Patlabor boxes since I would be sad if Honneamise were to only get a Gunbuster treatment. The books included, the bonus disc and the beautiful boxes are well worth the extra money. They remind me of some of the better Criterion Laser Disc editions which also went for $100+ dollars. Scanning my LD collection I notice a huge percentage have the Image logo on them. I hope Geneon can do as good of a job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2