• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Manga (for scanlation readers)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I apologize if there is already a thread on this somewhere, and I need to just go and revive it somewhere or something.

I just felt the need to bring up a discussion about the Naruto Manga. What has happened, what's happening right now, what speculations you have as to what will happen later, ect. Mostly because there seem to be a ton of people who want to talk about it quite profusely in the anime forum, and because of which, there seems to be a whole lot of people who haven't read that far or haven't read at all (anime only people) who are being spoiled, and are getting very mad about it.

As for the current chapter, chapter 344: As we are all aware of by now, it seems as if Sasuke has betrayed Orochimaru now that he has obtained the power he needs to kill Itachi. This particular chapter, of course, has him actually defeating Orochimaru in his true form (which is very awesome might I add) and has also explained his motives, as well as what personally drives him. I had quite the reaction to what happened considering how ironic it was that on the same day I read this chapter, someone in the Sasuke/Naruto relationship thread in the anime forum had just barely speculated exactly what ended up actually happening, and pretty much answered every single question brought up there.

My prediction? Basically, I think we are going to start to see a whole lot of Itachi coming up very soon. Cool
CrockPot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Even though this topic is about the scanslation of the manga shouldn't you include spoiler tags for those people here who are just reading the released manga?

I think more Itachi would be a good guess, simply because that would be a way to pull Naruto and Sasuke back together in the story without Naruto 'saving' Sasuke from Orochimaru, which to be ultimately successfully would really require somehow pulling Sasuke out of his 'dark' path (ala Garaa or Neji). I get the feeling that Sasuke needs to be on that path until near the end of the story. He may even be 'lost' to that darkness in the end.

If you can fight a dozen guys at once and your 'rival' can fight thousands are you really still rivals at all? There has been a HUGE buildup of Sasuke lately and if the wind isn't pulled out of his sails soon, like losing the curse mark or not being able to use it for some reason, there really needs to be an equivalent build up on Naruto's and Sakura's side for there to be any real parity between them.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
CrockPot wrote:
Even though this topic is about the scanslation of the manga shouldn't you include spoiler tags for those people here who are just reading the released manga?

I don't know, I guess I just feel that people who have only read the released manga would know better than to read this thread, considering that it is about the scanalated chapters, therefore taking their own responsibility of being spoiled. Perhaps I should change the name to "for scanalation readers only?"

Quote:

I think more Itachi would be a good guess, simply because that would be a way to pull Naruto and Sasuke back together in the story without Naruto 'saving' Sasuke from Orochimaru, which to be ultimately successfully would really require somehow pulling Sasuke out of his 'dark' path (ala Garaa or Neji). I get the feeling that Sasuke needs to be on that path until near the end of the story. He may even be 'lost' to that darkness in the end.

I wouldn't put it past Kishi to do that in the end. However, even though I do agree with you they will probably have Sasuke on that path until the end of the series, I just don't know if the message he's trying to send would require Sasuke to be lost to it forever. Of course, unless he want's to show how that much dedication to it can lead to your ultimate demise. Either way, I think it's all about "what needs to be done" and "how" it's going to happen rather than being about "what's" going to happen, so I don't really care if it's too predictable or not.

Quote:

If you can fight a dozen guys at once and your 'rival' can fight thousands are you really still rivals at all? There has been a HUGE buildup of Sasuke lately and if the wind isn't pulled out of his sails soon, like losing the curse mark or not being able to use it for some reason, there really needs to be an equivalent build up on Naruto's and Sakura's side for there to be any real parity between them.

Well i don't know about Sakura, but don't you think that spoiler[that's the whole idea as to what Naruto has been doing this whole time? Training, learning new techniques, growing into a smarter and more mature Ninja, all for the sole purpose of being able to find a way to defeat Sasuke? ] Of course, I don't know if you've read this far into the manga yet or not, but if you haven't, I suggest you run away from this thread screaming like a little girl as soon as possible if you care anything at all as to what happens in the series.
CrockPot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that Naruto has been training hard, has improved dramatically and has an impressive new skill it still seems to be completely useless compared to Sasuke. spoiler[The whole 1000 ninja thing without a scratch or killing any of them] seems like Kishi is going way overboard on Sasuke's ability.

spoiler[Plus the that whole 1k ninja thing bothered me on a lot of levels. I mean the last time we saw Sasuke he was planning on killing Naruto and Sakura but suddenly he has a heart and doesn't kill a 1000 people that he doesn't even know? How messed up is that?]

From what I've seen it still seems Naruto needs something to give him a fighting chance against what Sasuke can do. If he comes up with the super-speed teleporting skill the 4th used that might be enough but I don't know that his current spoiler[windsegan and shadow clones] are enough.

Oh, before I forget. The reason I think Sakura should improve some more is because she and Naruto keep talking about saving Sasuke together. She needs to be better than she is now to really be a help. She most likely won't ever be at the other two's level but she should be the added element that helps one of them have the edge over the other. Right now other than healing him after a fight is Sakura really that much help to Naruto? Is she a help during a Naruto/Sasuke fight or a hinderance?

PS: I've read up to 344 but I read sporadically. I might go a month before coming back and reading everything up to the latest. It's very possible I've missed some details here and there.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
chapter 344: As we are all aware of by now, it seems as if Sasuke has betrayed Orochimaru now that he has obtained the power he needs to kill Itachi.

I was actually surprised by this chapter. It really for once made me feel sorry for Orochimaru.

CrackPot wrote:
spoiler[I mean the last time we saw Sasuke he was planning on killing Naruto and Sakura but suddenly he has a heart and doesn't kill a 1000 people that he doesn't even know? How messed up is that?]

I agree, but I think it shows that he's not completely evil. (Though it goes against normal ninja code.)

CrockPot wrote:
The reason I think Sakura should improve some more is because she and Naruto keep talking about saving Sasuke together. She needs to be better than she is now to really be a help.

I think you definitely missed some details.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrockPot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

I think you definitely missed some details.

It's quite possible, I know about her amazing healing ability an super strength but unless she gets some speed to go with her strength she'll never even get close to Sasuke. She needs to get some speed or maybe some powerful Genjutsu to give her a chance to be really effective at Naruto's and Sasuke's level. That is just my opinion.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to BrothersElric for starting this thread Very Happy

Aromatic Grass wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
chapter 344: As we are all aware of by now, it seems as if Sasuke has betrayed Orochimaru now that he has obtained the power he needs to kill Itachi.

I was actually surprised by this chapter. It really for once made me feel sorry for Orochimaru.

Me too. Seeing him helpless and self destructive was strange. Add in a flashback and dead parents and he has my sympathy.

Quote:
This particular chapter, of course, has him actually defeating Orochimaru in his true form (which is very awesome might I add) and has also explained his motives, as well as what personally drives him.

He didn't really defeat him yet did he? Or was that flashback his last dying thought? If he did then I'm somewhat disappointed. I had much higher expectations of his final moments Confused Oh well, hopefully Sasuke will remember to kill Kabuto on his way out Twisted Evil

CrockPot wrote:
It's quite possible, I know about her amazing healing ability an super strength but unless she gets some speed to go with her strength she'll never even get close to Sasuke. She needs to get some speed or maybe some powerful Genjutsu to give her a chance to be really effective at Naruto's and Sasuke's level. That is just my opinion.

Are you implying that Sakura will actually fight Sasuke? Somehow I can't imagine that ever happening. Not only does she lack the physical strength, but I also don't think it's something she's emotionally capable of. Besides, haven't we heard it several times that it's important she stay safe in order to heal the others?
bllanosr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quote
Wait did Orochimaru die? I thought it was left open ended for the next chapter.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
He didn't really defeat him yet did he? Or was that flashback his last dying thought? If he did then I'm somewhat disappointed. I had much higher expectations of his final moments Confused Oh well, hopefully Sasuke will remember to kill Kabuto on his way out Twisted Evil

No, they barely started the actual fight. I think that was just a random flashback in the middle of the fight (for dramatic purposes). Also, I don't think Sasuke should kill Kabuto. He's the most mysterious character in the series for switching so many sides. I was almost hoping he'd help Sasuke escape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrockPot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
Are you implying that Sakura will actually fight Sasuke? Somehow I can't imagine that ever happening. Not only does she lack the physical strength, but I also don't think it's something she's emotionally capable of. Besides, haven't we heard it several times that it's important she stay safe in order to heal the others?

Actually spoiler[during the small skirmish the reformed team seven had against Sasuke, Sakura tried to attack him. Doing that is what got Yamato impaled when he tried to save her.] This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say Sakura really needs a little more training in some aspect to give her a little more edge.

Staying back and healing can be a really effective way of helping someone out but you can't heal them if they die during the fight. Seems if Naruto and Sasuke were to fight again now Sakura really couldn't help either of them DURING the fight only afterwards. And if the fight were with Itachi what could she really do right now?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
digitalkikka wrote:
Kudos to BrothersElric for starting this thread Very Happy

Thanks, I feel very special now! Very Happy

Quote:

Aromatic Grass wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:

Me too. Seeing him helpless and self destructive was strange. Add in a flashback and dead parents and he has my sympathy.

Just comes to show you that even the most evil, despicable and mentally disturbed people out there have their reasons for being the way they are. I'm with you fellas! I think I've always pitied Orochimaru rather than hated him, but now I just pity him even more.

Quote:

Quote:
This particular chapter, of course, has him actually defeating Orochimaru in his true form (which is very awesome might I add) and has also explained his motives, as well as what personally drives him.

Well that's true, yeah. It's kind of being a little too quick to judge to say that he's actually dead. Like you said, it would be very disappointing if he is. I didn't really mean to go as far as to say that he's dead now, just that Sasuke had at least put him down for now and escaped.

Quote:

No, they barely started the actual fight. I think that was just a random flashback in the middle of the fight (for dramatic purposes).

I think this is true, but I don't think the fight is still continuing. like I said, it's probably just that Sasuke used the time he was down to escape, but I highly doubt that Orochimaru is actually dead. Of course, we really don't know that yet.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I just finished 345. So good. It's been a while since I've felt so much tension and suspense in Naruto. I'm leaning towards Sasuke. I think he killed Orochimaru especially after seeing the flashback with Itachi and Orochimaru. But who knows?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
CrockPot wrote:
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say Sakura really needs a little more training in some aspect to give her a little more edge.

Seems like you'll never give her much credit. And after such a big change...

BrothersElric wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
bllanosr wrote:

No, they barely started the actual fight. I think that was just a random flashback in the middle of the fight (for dramatic purposes).

I think this is true, but I don't think the fight is still continuing. like I said, it's probably just that Sasuke used the time he was down to escape, but I highly doubt that Orochimaru is actually dead. Of course, we really don't know that yet.

Keep in mind that I said this before chapter 345's release. Still, I find it hard to believe Orochimaru would die so easily. (I'm not saying that he is dead, just that I'm a little suspicious of that final scene.)

digitalkikka wrote:
...after seeing the flashback with Itachi and Orochimaru.

And we finally see Orochimaru in Akatsuki's cloak!
CrockPot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Seems like you'll never give her much credit. And after such a big change...

You could be right and I don't give her enough credit. It just seems to me if she wants to be part of a triumvirate she needs something like a killer genjutsu to put her in Naruto and Sasuke's league. Right now she has a spoiler[super punch and mega-healing, but compare that to Naruto's new jutsu that can literally hit you with so many wind blades that even a sharingan can't see all the hits, or Sasuke's ability to take on 1000 ninja with no problem at all.]

Don't get me wrong, I WANT her to be part of a triumvirate. I just don't think the story has her there quite yet.
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Change subject ------ Who thinks Tobi is Obito?

There's a lot of evidence pointing towards this, however, I might just be overly fanatic about it.

- The bolts on the side of his body that was crushed (the same type on Zetsu's face)
- The mask leaves an opening for an eye, but no eye is ever seen, meaning it could be the empty eye-socket
- Obito --- Tobi. The leters are rearanged but take out one of the O's
- The mask is to hide his deformed face
- Dropped the ring because he's blind

Sorry, it's just a possibility that I can't seem to drop.

I'm pretty sure Sasuke is the one that defeated Orichimaru. If not, it would be a pretty nice plot twist, but I don't know where the manga would go after that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 79