• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-09]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Re: the price points of manga, try convincing book readers that $10 isn't expensive for a single piece of a story. I review manga for friends who mostly read books. They get whole in-depth stories for $7.99 in mass market paperbacks. And when I tell them to buy 9 volumes of Death Note for a total of $90 and that the story is basically the equivalent of one-two novels, oh and it's not quite all released yet but will be done in the next year, they just shake their heads.

Maybe manga prices are an easy sell to those used to comics (though this former comic buyer stopped buying American comics when the price went over 35 cents; yeah, I'm that old.). But if manga publishers ever want to bring in the other customers at bookstores, they might need to drop the prices a bit.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Re: the price points of manga, try convincing book readers that $10 isn't expensive for a single piece of a story. I review manga for friends who mostly read books. They get whole in-depth stories for $7.99 in mass market paperbacks. And when I tell them to buy 9 volumes of Death Note for a total of $90 and that the story is basically the equivalent of one-two novels, oh and it's not quite all released yet but will be done in the next year, they just shake their heads.

Maybe manga prices are an easy sell to those used to comics (though this former comic buyer stopped buying American comics when the price went over 35 cents; yeah, I'm that old.). But if manga publishers ever want to bring in the other customers at bookstores, they might need to drop the prices a bit.
That's not a fair comparison between a literary novel and a graphic novel. If a literary novel's story, say like any one of the Harry Potter novels, was told in a manga style, then it too would take up a few volumes as well, and cost just as much, if not more, because of the added drawings and art. Like wise if a manga was just written in words without pictures, I'm sure a series like "Ah My Goddess" would only take one, maybe two voumes with an average retail price of such a novel. So it's like comparing a feather pillow to a foam one.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
That's not a fair comparison between a literary novel and a graphic novel. If a literary novel's story, say like any one of the Harry Potter novels, was told in a manga style, then it too would take up a few volumes as well, and cost just as much, if not more, because of the added drawings and art.
Harry Potter manga. Somebody in Japan needs to work out a deal on actually making something like this.

We're in agreeance Mohawk52. Maybe my limited knowledge of publishing is based on half-truths and lies, but I've always been under the impression that it costs a fair amount more to print graphic novels than it does literary ones. Plus, with any translated import, you have factor in the costs of changing all that kanji into something we English speakers can comprehend. Also, there's the little fact that the manga market in the US is substantially smaller than the literary novel market. All of that means prices will be higher than for novels for the foreseeable future.

Translated lite novels are relatively on par with traditional literary novels but they're shorter. More of them are coming out and I'd recommend to anyone that wants to get someone involved with manga or anime, see if you can get them to read a lite novel for a series. We got some good ones coming out soon, like Full Metal Panic!, Shana, and my personal choice Strawberry Panic! Plus there's already some good titles out. Check around sunflower, maybe you can get some of your friends to read something like that as a starting point.

Mohawk52 wrote:
So it's like comparing a feather pillow to a foam one.
Except there is truly no comparison there. Foam pillows are 20 times better than feather pillows in my modestly humble and well-rested opinion.

Although foam matresses are even better.

Now, if only I had a woman to share them both with. Sigh. Sad
JnxCsc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, I did read your first post. Youre making something outta nothing. She brings up Akon, you assume its because of your race. You shoot her down, then youre mad when she stops talking. Like I said, unless you WANT to feel youve been discriminated against, maybe instead give them the benefit of the doubt.

Apparently you still aren't getting what I'm saying. I'm not speaking of discrimination as a whole I'm speaking of one part of discriminaton which are stereotypes. Aperently you seem to think that the example I used was to show discrimination, it wasn't. But since you're having trouble hearing me here are some other examples.

All blondes are dumb
All Hispanic people are illegal aliens
People from the Middle East are terrorists
Only White people do crazy things like bungee jump and skydive
All Black people like hip-hop
All Japanesse people like anime

Now do you understand what I'm saying.
All forms of stereotypes.
10円

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm convinced the media wouldn't take notice of anime if someone dropped off a stack of loli hentai on Katie Couric's doorstep. Even if someone did notice, who can really say if the reaction would actually be that bad? A lot of people might start watching some anime just to see what the fuss was about.

I remain surprised how many people fail to realize just how thin the ice is with respect to this topic, at least here in 'family values' America. Any reporter worth a small fraction of his or her paycheck could put together an extremely damaging story in almost no time at all. The more they bother to dig the more damaging the report can be. The fact that it hasn't happened yet is no guarantee that it won't ever happen and the contention that such a story might not do any serious damage seems rather unlikely to me. A large amount of anime is purchased by parents for children and teens. Most of these parents are probably rather ignorant of what's actually on the anime DVD's they buy for their kids, but if some sort of pervert connection was plastered all over the news I'm pretty sure they'd start taking a closer look or at least start erring on the side of caution. Based on what I've seen in even mainstream anime, the chance that they're not going to be surprised is rather slim.

mokitty wrote:
The right to bear arms was enshrined in the American constitution at a time when the new nation faced constant threat of re-invasion by the British. But it has been 200 years, and what the NRA don't want you to know is that the British re-invasion plan... has been cancelled.

Priceless.

Another of life's little lessons that apparently remains completely unlearned by the world's richest and most powerful country is the fact that the modern equivalent of the guerilla resistance that we successfully used against the British can also be used against us today, just as it was in Vietnam.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
jriciggs wrote:
I just want to add one thing to the whole dub debate. I have found that Japanese made anime (obviously the only true kind of anime) is best done in the native language because only the original Japanese voice actors can understand the true emotion of the piece. Have you ever watched American soap operas in India, it's a very similar phenomenon? The Indians that do the voicing don't put emphasis in the right places, are over dramatic in others, and just change the whole tone of the piece because they unconscientiously add their Indian inflection. Its the same with anime, American voice actors, despite noble attempts, will add their cultural dispositions into the scenario.

And what about when anime has English voices as the original then someway or another have Japanese dub voices later like in some rare cases? Your stance then?
ChikaraFire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

YouTube: Love it.

I've found plenty of good-quality AMVs and fansubs over there. No joke. I've watched a few shows there, seen my fair share of AMVs--all fine quality. (It also helps that I've got a very high-resolution monitor.) So don't go knocking it.

agreed
i've actually found google video to be worse- all pixy and slow.
youtube may not be the best but it's as easy as turning on a tv which makes it great for sampling

sub-vs-dub don't matter though i have no problem with a dub that takes place in japan

and all countries have misconseptions and images attached and when meeting someone one may think of that to try and better find a common ground with them.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
JnxCsc wrote:
All blondes are dumb

You forgot a seventh stereotype. "All people who ask black people if they like hip-hop are automatically racist." (singing)Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes, doesn't mean we go around committing hate crimes...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sun King

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I almost always prefer subs, usually because the english voice acting is so awful. course there are exceptions.

YouTube's good for some things, like watching old music videos or learning how to grow pot (haha) but i don't have a hi-res monitor so anime usually looks like crap, and i've got a nice tv, so I'd rather watch DVDs.

...and as for the whole stereotyping thing: give it a rest.
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
jriciggs wrote:

Samurai Champloo is a good example. the English dub makes the characters, especially Fuu, too American-esque. And besides, its just weird that the ENGLISH speaking troupe is journeying around JAPAN. to me, watching the anime with its original voices preserves the cultural semantics.

I agree ... kind of. You definitely lose a lot of Fuu's character without Ayako Kawasumi's performance, but that's more due to individual personality than cultural disposition. Kari Wahlgren does an okay but not particularly convincing job.

Of the English-speaking cast, Kirk Thornton as Jin does the best job capturing the character's essence. So it's not impossible.

But Daniel Andrews (Steven Blum) as Mugen is completely off the mark, lacking all of the character's barely constrained energy.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
JnxCsc wrote:
All blondes are dumb

You forgot a seventh stereotype. "All people who ask black people if they like hip-hop are automatically racist." (singing)Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes, doesn't mean we go around committing hate crimes...

If we all could just admit, that we are racist a little bit, even though we all know, that it's wrong, maybe it would help us, get along..

>_> I love that musical... Now for being a bit more serious... Well, I do think that stereotypes are inescapable at least on the subconscious level... Still, we probably should think a bit about what we say based on these stereotypes. It's perfectly fine that you may think about race X in a certain way subconsciously due to the various stereotypes that are propagated by the world. This is human nature. We think in many cases by association, and the rather ugly human race loves to nitpick and find fault in differences because of its nature of survival. Thus, it's not surprising that even well-meaning people think wrongly about people at times. However, the distinction should be made between thought and action, and the point where we get over the inevitable stereotype and stop before taking action on it is the point of true progress.

Stereotypes exist, but you shouldn't act on them. Even still, you shouldn't blame someone for making a stereotypical assumption unless the purpose seems drenched in malice. The best course of action would be, as was mentioned, to direct their attention to the non-stereotypical aspects of your race if you were offended slightly.

It'll be a long time before we actually drop the use of stereotypes. We'll probably be living on another planet, and our main concerns will probably be how we're supposed to power our oxygen generator with a depleting methane supply or something like that. In the meantime, we should probably just pay attention to what we say and think.
Sun King

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Mephistophilus, I'm sure you think your spreading your gospel of enlightenment across this vast space of numbers and zeros, but it really just sounds lame. Don't take it personally, though. I still think your cool.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
You definitely lose a lot of Fuu's character without Ayako Kawasumi's performance

Ayako is Fuu!?!?

I...didn't know that. Well, just goes to prove how amazing and versatile Ayako is...
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Sun King wrote:
Mephistophilus, I'm sure you think your spreading your gospel of enlightenment across this vast space of numbers and zeros, but it really just sounds lame. Don't take it personally, though. I still think your cool.

Heh, it may sound a bit hopeful, because it is... I've been on the internets enough to know that enlightenment will not reach everyone, if anyone. Still, I felt like typing something.

On another note of the Answerman! column, I didn't quite like this flake as much as last week's. Last week's seemed more real, I suppose. Still, seeing "disgrase" used not once, but twice was amusing enough. There sure is a big supply of the typing-deficient...
Sun King

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame you for trying
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11