• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-09]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
JnxCsc wrote:
Apparently you still aren't getting what I'm saying. I'm not speaking of discrimination as a whole I'm speaking of one part of discriminaton which are stereotypes. Aperently you seem to think that the example I used was to show discrimination, it wasn't. But since you're having trouble hearing me here are some other examples.

I see your point. I know what stereotyping is. I should have used "stereotyping instead of "discrimination". It seems that threw you off. My point still stands though. I really dont think your example shows stereotyping. Like I said, dont assume, just cause someone asks you about rap, its because of your race.

Now look, Im not saying im in favor of stereotyping, but it isnt as bad as other things. Racism, by which I mean disliking someone just because of their race is terrible. That is something that should altogther stop. Stereotyping is different though. Its not an intentional thing. Its an insensitive assumption. Its also always gonna happen. If we wanna get past it, people need to try and be more sensitive, but also people need to not be so sensitive. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Also try and forgive people if they do stereotype. Like I said, its unintentional.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
That's not a fair comparison between a literary novel and a graphic novel. If a literary novel's story, say like any one of the Harry Potter novels, was told in a manga style, then it too would take up a few volumes as well, and cost just as much, if not more, because of the added drawings and art.
Harry Potter manga. Somebody in Japan needs to work out a deal on actually making something like this.

We're in agreeance Mohawk52. Maybe my limited knowledge of publishing is based on half-truths and lies, but I've always been under the impression that it costs a fair amount more to print graphic novels than it does literary ones. Plus, with any translated import, you have factor in the costs of changing all that kanji into something we English speakers can comprehend. Also, there's the little fact that the manga market in the US is substantially smaller than the literary novel market. All of that means prices will be higher than for novels for the foreseeable future.
It seems we're in agreement again then.

Quote:
Translated lite novels are relatively on par with traditional literary novels but they're shorter. More of them are coming out and I'd recommend to anyone that wants to get someone involved with manga or anime, see if you can get them to read a lite novel for a series. We got some good ones coming out soon, like Full Metal Panic!, Shana, and my personal choice Strawberry Panic! Plus there's already some good titles out. Check around sunflower, maybe you can get some of your friends to read something like that as a starting point.

Quote:
[quote="Mohawk52"]So it's like comparing a feather pillow to a foam one.
Except there is truly no comparison there. Foam pillows are 20 times better than feather pillows in my modestly humble and well-rested opinion.
Except a feather pillow is filled with individual feathers, where as a foam one is usually in one piece.

Quote:
Although foam matresses are even better.

Now, if only I had a woman to share them both with. Sigh. Sad
You'd soon get sick of that mate. Especially if she turns out to be a bed hog, that keeps messing up the bed, stealing the covers, putting her cold feet on you, then snores in your ear. The grass is never that greener. Wink
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
That's not a fair comparison between a literary novel and a graphic novel. If a literary novel's story, say like any one of the Harry Potter novels, was told in a manga style, then it too would take up a few volumes as well, and cost just as much, if not more, because of the added drawings and art. Like wise if a manga was just written in words without pictures, I'm sure a series like "Ah My Goddess" would only take one, maybe two voumes with an average retail price of such a novel. So it's like comparing a feather pillow to a foam one.

Sure it's a fair comparison. You miss the point of what I'm saying, and yet support it with your assertion. My friends go into a bookstore with $10. They can either buy a regular novel, the equivalent of several graphic novels, or they can possibly buy one volume of manga (because several of the ones I recommend to them are over $10).

They say they're getting more bang for their buck when they buy a novel. And I'm having a hard time arguing wih that.

A lot of women and men are value conscious. We've got bills and kids and mortgages and cars and schooling to pay for. I can't blame people who won't try manga because in the long run novels are a lot cheaper form of reading. To them, manga at current prices is an extravagence. It's all relative to what you know, and most book buyers know novels.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

Sure it's a fair comparison. You miss the point of what I'm saying, and yet support it with your assertion. My friends go into a bookstore with $10. They can either buy a regular novel, the equivalent of several graphic novels, or they can possibly buy one volume of manga (because several of the ones I recommend to them are over $10).

They say they're getting more bang for their buck when they buy a novel. And I'm having a hard time arguing wih that.
You could argue that they are not going to get those particular stories if they don't. But I get the feeling there that they aren't particularly bothered what it is they read, as long as it's good,but cheap, and so wouldn't be that interested in a manga anyway. There might be an underlying subtle discomfort of them reading a comic, when "comics are for kids right?"

Quote:
A lot of women and men are value conscious. We've got bills and kids and mortgages and cars and schooling to pay for. I can't blame people who won't try manga because in the long run novels are a lot cheaper form of reading. To them, manga at current prices is an extravagence. It's all relative to what you know, and most book buyers know novels.
I know that, because I'm one of them too, but what you describe is all down to choice and availability. If they want to read a story like Fruits Basket, or Ah My Goddess, then they will have to buy the manga, same with Harry Potter, they will have to buy the novels. But they have to decide. What I understood, from what you wrote, was that they don't consider manga good value for money because the story was in comic, or graphic form, not realising the added cost of making it that way, or simply don't feel comfortable reading a comic at their age. I can understand that, but again that's all down to choice, or a misguided fear of being seen reading a manga, or ignorance of why those 24 volumes of manga are $10 each in the first place.
burzmali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

That's why I don't own any manga...

I can get a complete story for $7.99, or $90+. Sorry, but my imagination can close the gap for free, and it's in color.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11