• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Gunslinger Girl, Basilisk to iTunes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quote
Ooo, Gunslinger Girl and Basilisk? Nice choices, Funimation. Definitely a step up from the first three shows. GG especially.

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
Good on 'em!
Stullz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
Speed Grapher was awesome and now these two, more awesome
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Would it be too weird to buy your favorite anime for iTunes even though you already own the DVDs? To, you know, support Funimation's iTunes initiative? Smile

To say nothing of getting to watch good anime on my iPod. Very Happy
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I think that Basilisk is one of those shows that if you watch an episode or two on Itunes it's going to lead you to want to get the DVD. Gunslinger Girls probably not so much, considering all the flashbacks Rolling Eyes but I am sure that some people who just want to check an episode will certainly buy it.
goins007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I think that Basilisk is one of those shows that if you watch an episode or two on Itunes it's going to lead you to want to get the DVD. Gunslinger Girls probably not so much, considering all the flashbacks Rolling Eyes but I am sure that some people who just want to check an episode will certainly buy it.

Yeah if you're just wanting an episode or to just check it out iTunes isn't a bad way to go. But if you want the whole series go buy it. Better quality and more bang for your buck.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
goins007 wrote:
Yeah if you're just wanting an episode or to just check it out iTunes isn't a bad way to go. But if you want the whole series go buy it. Better quality and more bang for your buck.

I just think that with Basilisk (if you don't have IFC) then this is a great way to get introduced to the show as well as lead you into possibly purchasing the DVDs if you really wanted them....Of course buying on DVD is more cost effective, Itunes just makes anime that much more accessible to the everyday person.
Evasiege

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
What other shows on already on itunes?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Evasiege wrote:
What other shows on already on itunes?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-02-13/funimation-itunes-store

Currently Desert Punk, Samurai 7, and Speed Grapher other then the other shows announced in this thread.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
The issue I can see with iTunes is the difficulty in dealing with the DRM and MP4 formats... I applaud the effort in getting anime out on another medium and I can see why Funimation chose iTunes as the medium to do so (after all, it is pretty much the only service available with a decent selection), but I never did like the hoops you had to jump through to be able to transfer music and movies from anything but iPod to iTunes and iTunes to CD. Converting the files is a pain, and the quality is not especially good (yes, I know 640x480 is pretty darn good, but it does fall short of the DVD 720x480 and audio quality does suffer. On top of that, MP4 isn't the best container in the world.) Add quality to the DRM issues and buying from DVD seems to be a much better alternative if you actually plan on watching the whole series.

Also, I don't see anything about whether it's dub only or dub/sub dual-audio. MP4, like most other containers, does allow a subtitle track, but there's nothing in the store itself indicating whether or not this subtitle track exists. If it's dub only, those that don't like English dubs much probably wouldn't be happy with this medium.

Still, I suppose this is another one of those steps in the right direction. Someday we might be able to get single episode releases while the series is running, like Death Note is supposed to be done.

(On a side note, is Funi's website broken for anyone else? It seems to be stuck on the front page telling you to go to iTunes...)
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice I have been wanting to see Basilisk. I hope in the future they have anime that is on TV such as Naruto and Bleach where you can buy them the day after they air like with American shows. As a dub liker I'm glad they put the dubs up but I don't think subs will ever be put up. For one it would kind of hard to read subtitles on an ipod and also Funimation wants to appeal to more people. So by putting the dub up non anime fans are more likely to check it out. If it was subbed though a person might turn it down.
infoman99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
now i finally have a reason to buy a 30g ipod hahaha Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1