• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Afro Samurai or Haruhi Suzumiya?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
i wonder why we keep asking this question. of course Haruhi is going to win its apparently the biggest thing since sliced cheese.
:coughs:

I choose both though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Afro Samurai was pretty good, considering that it is a American-fueled production and it was at least fresh in some of the cliches presented, which usually plague such projects. It had a good story and appropriate pacing, so that helped a lot. I would surely choose this over, say, The Big O II, which changed too much of its style and story to appease American sensibilties.

That being said, I would probably purchase Afro Samurai over Haruhi Suzumiya simply due to it being the cheaper of the two titles. I liked HS very much, but I want the pricier LE version, so I will be waiting a little until a good sale pops up. However, if I had the funds to get it, might as well get Afro Samurai while I'm at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Moe Killer wrote:
trickylove wrote:
I can't convince myself to spend the money on HoHS since the DVD's aren't going to be in Brodcast order. Yea sure it sounds like a stupid reason, but thats the order I watched it in and its the order that made me a fan of the show. I don't know why I'd buy something I already watched if its not exactly what I want. I do like to buy the offical releases of series I like when they come on DVD, but I wont buy them of they're edited or anything like that.

Maybe way down the road when I can get the box set for like 30 bucks or something.

Wasn't it mentioned that the US version would BE in broadcast order and that it was, in fact, the Japanese dvds that weren't in broadcast order? I may be wrong, but, I swear I read that somewhere.

And, yeah, it's a stupid reason. If you like it, support the damn show.

Geh.

There are varying degrees of how much any person likes a series. Some series are going to be worth buying all the single DVDs for some people and for others ... box set it is. And to be honest MoSH is a boxset series in my opinion. The series is just to fanboy-targeted and tries to hard at being odd for me to really want to buy the singles.

I mean heck, I bought all of Somedays dreamers in singles because I loved the show, but I know for a fact that not everyone else is going to even want to buy the DVDs. Same deal here, except there will in all likelyhood be a boxset for MoSH.

In other words: "support the damn show" is just elitist BS.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Afro Samurai was horrible. GONZO wasted their money animating it.

Uh, no they didn't. Afro Samurai was a fun, "turn off your brain" type show. Which is fine to have every now and then. Anyone expecting a deep plot in only five episodes is only kidding themselves. Was the plot thin? Yes. Was it "style over substance?" I guess so. But damn if it wasn't a fun ride. And it's clear other people enjoyed it too considering it was averaging 700,000 18-34 viewers when it was on. Even Spike TV was shocked.
Moe Killer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Moe Killer wrote:
trickylove wrote:
I can't convince myself to spend the money on HoHS since the DVD's aren't going to be in Brodcast order. Yea sure it sounds like a stupid reason, but thats the order I watched it in and its the order that made me a fan of the show. I don't know why I'd buy something I already watched if its not exactly what I want. I do like to buy the offical releases of series I like when they come on DVD, but I wont buy them of they're edited or anything like that.

Maybe way down the road when I can get the box set for like 30 bucks or something.

Wasn't it mentioned that the US version would BE in broadcast order and that it was, in fact, the Japanese dvds that weren't in broadcast order? I may be wrong, but, I swear I read that somewhere.

And, yeah, it's a stupid reason. If you like it, support the damn show.

Geh.

There are varying degrees of how much any person likes a series. Some series are going to be worth buying all the single DVDs for some people and for others ... box set it is. And to be honest MoSH is a boxset series in my opinion. The series is just to fanboy-targeted and tries to hard at being odd for me to really want to buy the singles.

I mean heck, I bought all of Somedays dreamers in singles because I loved the show, but I know for a fact that not everyone else is going to even want to buy the DVDs. Same deal here, except there will in all likelyhood be a boxset for MoSH.

In other words: "support the damn show" is just elitist BS.

so sorry.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This question almost seems specifically designed to work the Haruhi fanbase with little challenge. I would almost say its outright promotion rather than a poll, a reminder to get people excited when they vote Haruhi.

This is almost as bad as that Gamefaqs Poll "What do you think of the European Sony PS3's backwards-compatibility issues?". Answers:

"It's no big deal; the PS3 still rocks"
"No problem, people don't play that many older games"

Then we get the same answer only reworded differently 2 times:
"Hmm, that doesn't look good for Sony"
"Bad move; it's cutting costs at the expense of customers"
"Is there anything Sony can do right anymore?".

Notice all are overtly negative in context, I could swear I saw in the fine print "Poll Sponsored by the Microsoft Corporation (c)". Laughing

This poll of course isn't as bad, but its a terrible comparison, making it close. I voted neither since I have no interest in buying either. Second choice would have been Haruhi, which even though I'm not head over heels in love with like the rest of the fanbase is still better than Afro Samurai, which doesn't even seem to have a plot from the episode I saw. Still a poll for something like Higurashi, Haruhi or both would have been much better.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
which doesn't even seem to have a plot from the episode I saw

Unless you're watching experimental or art cinema, everything you've ever seen has a plot.

"This doesn't have a plot!" is the laziest criticism I've ever seen; the person saying it clearly does not actually know what a plot is, but has heard a lot of people say this, so they think it's valid. "This doesn't have a plot" is not a synonym for "I don't like this show."

SO STOP SAYING IT ARGH
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
consider what people will buy Afro samurai: casual viewers. it will no doubt outsell Suzumiya. i don't think i'm gonna buy either though; i didn't like Suzumiya that much, and spike will no doubt run Afro Samurai again in the future.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
no offense to the series' fans, but i gotta go for Neither. since neither of these anime are really my taste. Rolling Eyes

though i was impressed by the graphic violence of AS, and the artstyle of Haruhi was pretty nice. but still... my previous statement stands.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
i definitely will choose MoHS over Afro (although i probably wont buy either series Anime smile), but what does the unedited ver. include? Is it just gonna border more on the line of a H series with extra scenes of gore with more T&A that was added or cut? I enjoyed watching Afro for its action but i disliked it in the plot development. the story telling was either rushed or dumbed down to appeal to the casual viewer. it was incoherent, lacked a sense of realism, and felt like an old martial arts movie where the hero went from pt A to B for a simple motive killing everyone easily for no apparent reason expect for the boss while getting the girl in the process with a lot of unanswered questions.

Is Bandai pressuring ANN to poll and gather interest for this series or is just slow news days for anime? there have been a lot of exposure to this title and topic after topic about MoHS, it seems Bandai is still unsure that this will be the smash hit when it is released.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Both were good in my opinion, but Haruhi is over rated and Afro gets too much negative attention from elitists, japanophiles, and people who don't like the genre in the first place. I still don't consider Afro 100% anime, though.

I voted both, Haruhi was a nifty series, and Afro is the entire thing on a single disc (Whereas, if it had one more episode they would've been able to stick it on three DVDs *coughFLCLcough*) I wouldn't get Afro if it was on anymore than a single disc, btw.

EDIT:

Quote:
and felt like an old martial arts movie where the hero went from pt A to B for a simple motive killing everyone easily for no apparent reason expect for the boss while getting the girl in the process with a lot of unanswered questions.

I think that's what they were going for.
Bachi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Haruhi.

I watched a couple episodes of Afro and I thought it was just plain horrible. I normally like action animes and it is hard to go wrong with samurais and lots of gore...but even I couldn't stand the crappy dialogue and plot.

I liked Haruhi a lot, but chances are it will lose a lot in the translation. But still I will buy the entire series to show my support...can always watch with subtitles if the dub isn't up to par
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
That's almost a no brainer there. Rolling Eyes You can get a samurai flick anywhere. You just can't get the most highly energetic girl anywhere. But I guess if you're not for one you'll take the other.

Hahahahahaha!!
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Neither of these titles look remotly interesting to me, so I voted Neither
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
While I'm totally buying both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5