• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Afro Samurai or Haruhi Suzumiya?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

BZZZZZZT *WRONG*

Oh, ho? Even if I am right thou would hath denied it anyway, else thy intent hath been disclosed already. After all, we can't have another repeat of the Higgy domain aquisition, now can we?

tempest wrote:

Okay, so you have no intention or purchasing it, yet you said you would when a poll asked if you would...

Gee, thanks...

The question asked, "Which Of these DVDs do you plan to buy?" Not, "Which of these is a step in the right direction?" "Which of these excites you the most?" or "Which of these do you wish to support?"

Of well, it's accepted that at least some people will lie when answering a poll.... Which is part of the reason why they're never 100% accurate.

-t

As I said earlier, I have my reasons for casting a faulty entry; in the past, fraudulent voting had a significant impact on the perceptions of a certain something I was desperately trying to promote at the time. Though I would argue these polls to be rather worthless, since they basically only reflect ANN's demographics and do not really say something about the anime internet community in total, they have an influence on certain associations who are in a constant pursuit of glory.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Another vote for 'neither', here. I haven't seen 'Afro Samurai' (don't get SpikeTV) and I need to read a little more about the plot/premise before coming to any conclusions about it. Even if it does end up as something I might like, it's going to be way down on the list below a bunch of other stuff, so I wouldn't be buying it in the near future. Haruhi...I watched a couple of episodes (and read the general plot/premise description) based on all the fuss about it, thought it was mediocre and not even close to living up to the hype. I have no desire to even finish watching it, let alone buy the series.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I vote neither.

Afro Samurai suffered from really poor scripting choices, which subsequently turned me off on the series. And Haruhism hasn't hit me yet.

If your referring to Ninja Ninja, then I agree that character just doesn't make any sense. In fact I am surprised that Jackson agreed to do it in the first place.

Well thats one of the reasons. He almost functions as a "Magic Negro" or "Tokenism." He's just in there to provide a plot device to get Afro out of situations.

Another factor was that Afro never got any "support" fully from Samuel L. Jackson. All that raw energy that Jackson is known for is totally absent from Afro. I mean, I know Afro is supposed to be the lone-gunman type of deal, but why no signature Jackson flair?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I vote neither.

Afro Samurai suffered from really poor scripting choices, which subsequently turned me off on the series. And Haruhism hasn't hit me yet.

If your referring to Ninja Ninja, then I agree that character just doesn't make any sense. In fact I am surprised that Jackson agreed to do it in the first place.

Well thats one of the reasons. He almost functions as a "Magic Negro" or "Tokenism." He's just in there to provide a plot device to get Afro out of situations.

Another factor was that Afro never got any "support" fully from Samuel L. Jackson. All that raw energy that Jackson is known for is totally absent from Afro. I mean, I know Afro is supposed to be the lone-gunman type of deal, but why no signature Jackson flair?

Ninja Ninja was basically just a sidekick character whose existance was questioned throughout the show for, well, kicks. That's about as token as he gets and he also provided an avenue for Jackson to play loose as opposed to the deadly serious Afro.

As for that character, that's what he is supposed to be--no-nonsense, bad***, and cool-headed. The opening segment of the premiere episode solidified the disposition of Afro in the future. It would have been out of place for him to be boombastic and wild (hence his follower's role). Heck, the whole story itself is full of tragic characters with more than a few chips on their shoulders. Jackson, upon hear the idea of the series, instantly wanted to play as him, and he did a very good job in portray both characters. It's nice to see him not get typecast once in a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
well the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya of course! I love the anime, and of course I would like to have a copy of my own. But then again, if I hear that a lot of people liked afro samurai, then maybe I'll buy that one too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

As for that character, that's what he is supposed to be--no-nonsense, bad***, and cool-headed. The opening segment of the premiere episode solidified the disposition of Afro in the future. It would have been out of place for him to be boombastic and wild (hence his follower's role). Heck, the whole story itself is full of tragic characters with more than a few chips on their shoulders. Jackson, upon hear the idea of the series, instantly wanted to play as him, and he did a very good job in portray both characters. It's nice to see him not get typecast once in a while.

I don't care if he wasn't supposed to be boombastic and outrageous, I never felt Jackson in Afro. It never materialized, plain and simple.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
Simple answer: I already pre-ordered the Haruhi LE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5